It’s a fantasy to think we are winning the war in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by armchair_jihad, Oct 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In full as I agree with every word

Former UK Amassador to Afghanisatan 2007 - 2010 Sherard Cowper-Coles, from his new book:

It’s a fantasy to think we are winning the war in Afghanistan - Telegraph
  2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Did anyone suggest it was nothing other than our very own vietnam or Soviet escapade in crapghan? There didnt appear too many differing opinions last time i read a thread like this.
  3. Whether he's right or wrong, some Foreign Office wallah who has never done anything except polish a chair for 30 years with his arse is hardly the man to comment.

"There is still time to correct the errors and omissions of the first 10 years. But it will require a Herculean effort of American-led diplomacy, to bring together all the internal parties to the conflict – not just the various brands of Taliban – and, so as to apply outside in pressure for peace, all the regional powers as well".

Quelle suprise, a diplomat saying diplomacy is the only answer. Looks like Terry will have to dust off their Ostrich feather hat and White Tie and Tails - hope the moths haven't been at them. Do they like Cucumber Sandwiches with the crusts cut off? What about the Chateau Lafite? Is it bad form to check them for exploding Turbans like last time they tried a Peace Conference ohhh 2 weeks ago wasn't it?
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

5. They should flog any vehicles not needed after the pull-out to the Afghan forces.

It's also not at all helped by the current Afghan leadership who are playing the denial game. I watched a BBC interview with Karzai yesterday. The bloke has a head full of cartoons. I actually laughed out loud when he said that rampant corruption in Afghanistan is because of all the foreigners.