Ist Credit Sent This Letter

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by CptDanjou, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive just received this letter from 1st credit addressed to a mate who lodged with me for a few weeks , he`s now moved on and working over seas ,I cant get in touch with him immediatley, any ideas what its all about ,seems like a debt collection agency is after him ,whats best to do ?

Attached Files:

2. Just tell 'em the truth,he no longer resides at your address.

He has moved overseas,with his job,and you would be obliged if they removed your address,from their database as a possible contact address.

Phone them up as requested,they maybe able to expand on the personal matter mentioned,then if neccesary,contact your mate and let him know the score.

3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Write to them informing them that this matter has nothing to do with you and that the addressee has emigrated/taken an overseas job and that you have no legal or financial connection with him.

If they come back to you again go for the jugular and report them to the OFT. this company or companies with remarkably similar names have a long track record of trying to enforce time expired and even unproven debt.

Odd telephone call from First Credit Limited - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  4. You shouldn't have opened it, you should just cross out the address and write on the envelope "Not at this address, return to sender". Then stick it in a post box.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I opened it without damaging the envelope , guess I`ll take your advice , glue it closed and throw it in a post box RTS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Option 1. Stick envelope back in post marked return to sender, not known at this address.

Option 2. Send them a letter saying not known at this address and any further letters received will be returned with a letter from you charged at £25 per letter. State that If you receive further letters from them you will take it as their acceptance of your charges. Keep copy of letter and send it recorded delivery. Only takes four letters to rack up £100 and then you can write to them demanding payment of your bill and threaten legal recovery if they fail. ( Sad I know but its fun and it only takes a second to set up a template letter)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Debt Collection is all over the web and the 'papers, as a fast growing aggressive industry who'll go to great lengths for their claims. One other thing that might be useful is the OFT has a page on debt collection guidance, with complaint letter templates. Debt collection practices  - The Office of Fair Trading. I like the idea of charging these companies for our time and their unfair accusations.

8. Just to clear a discrepancy in the info that's been given, was the letter addressed "The Occupant" or did it have his name on the envelope?

If you went to the trouble of opening the envelope without damaging it, then I presume it was addressed to him. On the other hand, if his name was on the envelope, it seems odd that the letter asks him for information about himself - unless the subject of the letter has the same name as him (Dad, maybe?).

Or there's something more to this than you're telling us...

9. Tell them that you've eaten him....and his wife!

10. No , it was addressed to my mate , he asked me to check any mail before he went away , there's no secrets or anything being held back other than actual names,

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

There are certain things debt collection companies do that used to be illegal, but then the previous government changed the law and now they are just a breach of the code of practice! MP's hey! who'd have thought it!

12. I haven't read the other responses (too lazy) but it is from a Debt Collection Agency. 'They' may even just be a single private investigator operating from home but using proxy business addresses. You do need to contact them and unfortunately, it's better if you provide them with your mate's new address. Don't give them any more than that. They know who and where you are. The letter is merely to con you into calling them back so that they can confirm that the address is occupied. If you don't contact them, what will happen is that they may either attempt to contact you again, but with a more threatening tone, or what also happens is that they will 'sell' that debt on to another Debt Collection Agency/Private Investigator who will write a similar letter to you. This can carry on for ages. Probably best that you shop your mate and save yourself a lot of hassle. Don't phone them. Write to them, providing only the personal details which they have on you, nothing more.

13. These companies are investigated by the OFT as they buy up old or unpaid Debt at a reduced price sometimes as much as a quarter of the price. Once they have this they go after the person, they 'think' it might be and try to claim the full debt, therefore making themselves a tidy profit. There is lots of info about it online as well as examples of letters to return to said companies. I've had 2 of these Companies after me, for Debt that I do not and have never owed. They did try to use bullying tactics and legal correspondence, badly, but the moment I saw spelling / grammar mistakes on such letters, they lost their validity to me and I responded with the advice found on the net. Once I responded correctly they simply stopped contacting me.

14. If you read some of the annecdotes on Google, companies like these buy up debts that fall outside of the statue time allowed to claim, therefore expired, for a fraqction of the amount and then persue it themselves, vigorously. They use strong arm tactics and pseudo-legal talk to force the 'debtor' to pay up. Allegedly.

I personally wouldn't give them any details about myself whatsoever. Inform your mate by all means , but stick the letter either in the bin, or as suggested, 'Not at this address' in the post-box