Issues for reservists, both here and in US

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Goatman, Jan 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Extract from a speech made in September by a Senator on the US Armed Service Committee.

Some strong resonances for the families of TA pers deployed on eg TELIC/OCULUS etc:

Support for Guard and Reserve Families

Lot of good sense being talked here, which has many parallels for the TA.

Any guesses who said it?

Someone who appears to be widely despised by the US services....

Full speech at

Le Chevre 8)
  2. Good post Goatman, on a subject which has interested me for some years.

Some time ago I posted news of a support network set up for Black Watch relatives in their home (as opposed to garrison) area - it encouraged families of any capbadge serving in Iraq to drop in etc - however that was only a temporary arrangement and was understandably wound up after the battalion's return to Warminster.

I may have more comments later, but I really hope your thread gets the constructive response it deserves. Smart move linking it to the US, where reservist support networks tend as a generalisation to be much better than ours.

(Not that we need any yellow ribbons around our mailboxes over here! :lol:)
  3. Given our Govt's mind set, we may well adopt a US system for Reserve forces support, if only because the US will. But as we are still lacking in a good system for Regular forces I fear it will be some time after I have hung up my boots. :roll:
  4. Yes, and the welfare/morale issues affecting Reg families have more than often realised in common with issues affecting TA families.

(And not forgetting mobilised Regular Army reservists relatives, who dont have any local TA network to call on).

Quick example, if a regular army pad decides to leave the patch in Germany and take the kids home to Granny while the blokes are away, if something big is going on she is in the same position as many TA wives, ie no-one else in the street in the same position or can really understand, even though they sympathise. Neighbours meaning no harm, but crossing the street to avoid having to talk to her.

Please keep this going.
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

That particular Senator seems to talk a lot of sense on this stuff.....not familiar enough with the in's and out's of US (Service) politics to understand why it is they all appear to despise her so much ! Corp ?

The full article is worth a read, as is the text of the other speaker at the seminar, a 82 Airborne veteran now representing somewhere called Rhode Island.... :lol:

Le Chevre
  6. It's an old, old problem ... reservists are cheap to keep around for emergencies - such as 3 Shock Army deciding to go shopping in Hamburg - as you don't need to pay many of the costs associated with regulars - ie welfare.

However, if you wish to use them regularly for scheduled deployments then you've got to provide said welfare services or soldiers vote with their feet. So the cost savings are greatly eroded - and with salary compensation and employers compensation arguably it's not that much cheaper.

However, the current US and UK use of reservists is not driven by a dispassionate cost analysis - it's driven by desperation as the military scramble to scrape up enough bodies to meet demand. I do not believe it's sustainable, as the costs keep rising towards that of a regular and as the pool who can join gets smaller. A TA made up of students and the unemployable may be good for the treasury but I suspect that the regular Army would notice the drop in quality.
  7. I haven't had time to read the whole article yet, but will later. This is Hillary Clinton, former First Lady. Take anything from a Clinton about the military with a grain of salt.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I was aware of the level of animosity the US mil feel towards Mizz Hillary from back when I used to haunt a naval group called smn.

Apart from being (just about still) married to Bill
    C aught
    L ying
    N ine
    T imes
    O ut of
    N ine

just what do you guys have against her ? Apart from having a bumpy jumper of course ! :wink:

I've heard that far from being the <<steel magnolia>> of legend, she inspires pretty fierce loyalty from those who know her well? As I said, don't know the ins and outs of it really, just caught the vibration.

Be honest, if I'd posted it as - << check what Hillary Clinton said on...>> you wouldn't have read it would you ? :)

The other senator's stuff was quite forward looking I thought.

Le Chevre