Issued Rifle Alternatives

I notice more and more images and videos of HM Forces on tour with different rifles. The regular 5.56 seems to be part of a range of rifles currently in use and for my ignorance of the subject I was wondering what factors decide what weapons a soldier/troop/regiment will deploy with? Also, will the man be expected to use one type of rifle for the breath of his operational tour or is it on a day by day basis? I can't imagine an overall proposal to change the current rifle, if only for financial reasons. If this is a bone question my apologies, I don't know where else to get an opinion on it!

Thanks!

BG

Wah shield up.

Errrmm...have you noticed what dates these images have? As far as I can recall the SAS carried M-16s in the Falklands (and were not to impressed with them.

You will use one type of rifle for the duration, pretty much. May also be issued a sidearm if your job requires it. You will probably also be expected to use the GPMG when on stag.

Wah shield up.

Errrmm...have you noticed what dates these images have? As far as I can recall the SAS carried M-16s in the Falklands (and were not to impressed with them.
Wasn't it something daft like 26 rounds to put down an Argie?

I notice more and more images and videos of HM Forces on tour with different rifles. The regular 5.56 seems to be part of a range of rifles currently in use and for my ignorance of the subject I was wondering what factors decide what weapons a soldier/troop/regiment will deploy with? Also, will the man be expected to use one type of rifle for the breath of his operational tour or is it on a day by day basis? I can't imagine an overall proposal to change the current rifle, if only for financial reasons. If this is a bone question my apologies, I don't know where else to get an opinion on it!

Thanks!

BG
Apologies accepted! ;-)

I think you get asked now which gat you want to use. The Armourer checks if he has it in stock or if he has to purchase it.

Aye, sorry about this. Not a notion where to look/ask besides. It was this video that just got me thinking. I don't know the name of what he's using(it was from a thread here and mentioned on it but I can't find it again...) When I spotted the troop next to him who appears to be equipped with the standard rifle I was wondering what determines what each troop will go on patrol with. Cheers for the info besides

Seems to be it alright, makes sense now to have a member(s) of a section equipped with a longer range semi-auto. Just read this article after a google and found an interesting tid-bit about the optics:

Trijicon agrees to remove tiny coded bible verse references from its optics, placed beside the “Made in USA” moniker. Defence Management reports that their ACOG sights have been ordered to equip the UK’s new L129A1s.

Anyone know what bible verse they had on there? And why?

Seems to be it alright, makes sense now to have a member(s) of a section equipped with a longer range semi-auto. Just read this article after a google and found an interesting tid-bit about the optics:

Trijicon agrees to remove tiny coded bible verse references from its optics, placed beside the “Made in USA” moniker. Defence Management reports that their ACOG sights have been ordered to equip the UK’s new L129A1s.

Anyone know what bible verse they had on there? And why?
There are various inscribed codes that link to the New Testament; for example 2COR4:6
"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of the darkness, hath shined in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God in the face of Jesus Christ".

Why? Because Trijicon company is owned by a bunch of Christian fundies who believe that they are on Crusade would be my best guess.

Aye, sorry about this. Not a notion where to look/ask besides. It was this video that just got me thinking. I don't know the name of what he's using(it was from a thread here and mentioned on it but I can't find it again...) When I spotted the troop next to him who appears to be equipped with the standard rifle I was wondering what determines what each troop will go on patrol with. Cheers for the info besides
Looks like the L129A1 sharpshooter rifle which is being used in the DMR role, although the mag looks a bit strange, i think it is that though.
It the L129 Sharpshooter rifle in the video - the magazine is the issue polymer version made by Magpul.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
There are various inscribed codes that link to the New Testament; for example 2COR4:6
"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of the darkness, hath shined in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God in the face of Jesus Christ".

Why? Because Trijicon company is owned by a bunch of Christian fundies who believe that they are on Crusade would be my best guess.
Make some nice sights though. It's not as if you want to sleep with the CEO of the company. I thought the references were a bit of a Samuel Jackson Pulp fiction type of vibe. It was years back. They offered to wipe the references off the British ones too. MOD quite sensibly said "can't be bothered"

It's just their thing. Some craftsmen used to inscribe little mice or initials etc in to their work Trijicon put abbreviated bible passages. They do it to ALL of their sights, even the ones for hte civil market.

It's the eqivalent to slapping your capbadge or colours all over everything.

G

goatrutar

Apparently did the same to Oz issued sights. Bible verses promptly removed.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's just their thing. Some craftsmen used to inscribe little mice or initials etc in to their work Trijicon
That would be Mousey Thompson. I have one of his chairs. Who cares about the bible references. It wasn't very big and it didn't intefere in your using it to shoot people.

Good questions.

It's (finally) becoming standard for a rifle squad to have a mix of personal weapons. These would include one or two support SAWs, one or two sharpshooters with 7.62x51mm rifles with scope, and various 5.56x45mm autos. This gives the squad the ability to do close combat, fight off an ambush, and engage snipers at range. Each soldier would be able to use any other weapon and may switch weapon assignments day to day depending on the operation or simply to gain experience or simply relieve the SAW gunner from carrying all that weight all the time.

Another advantage of having 7.62mm or even larger caliber weapon is that it can penetrate walls and other cover the enemy is using with surprising ability. I have fired through trees 30-50cm tick and brick walls with a 7.62mm. The 5.56mm? I've seen it bounce off of leaves.

US special forces are favoring the HK416 (M27) over the M4 (M16) and derivatives. The old M16 was orignally the 1957 Armalite XM15 was a cut down AR10 originally meant to be a light survival weapon for downed pilots and an alternative to the M1 Carbine or an SMG for radio men and officers. I've used the M16 (while working with the US Airborne Rangers) and I like the accuracy and lightness but it's too flimsy and hard to keep clean. US forces are prone to carrying a cleaning rod strapped to the M4 to knock out jammed cartridges. The extractor (or, more specifically, the extractor spring) fails under heavy use, despite the December 2004 upgrades. It has been pointed out that the HK 416 that has none of the reliability issues of the M4 doesn't cost any more. Politics and money has always come before a soldier's life and giving him the maximum ability to fight.

The British forces L85A2 (SA80) also did suffer from the same issues of being unreliable and fragile in combat. This was due to having too thin a receiver housing to keep the weight down. Later models (HK A2) fixed many issues. This gets into the issue of re-manufacturing at a cost of £400 each rather than scrapping the design and getting something better.

I like to carry an AK-74 or variant. It's reliable as hell and accurate. I also like my Tikka M55 7.62 bolt action. It shoots any decent ammunition in the same place at 300M. I'm most comfortable carrying a 9mm pistol, a short barreled assault rifle, and a 7.62mm or .338 Winchester Magnum bolt action rifle. Although I would not want to carry all that on foot if walking several days in addition to a full kit.

Generally I do not carry a 9mm SMG except if the assignment is strictly close quarters (room to room or body guard duty) and trying to prevent down range collateral damage. Here a short 12 gauge automatic shotgun is also a good choice but not as concealable and (generally) a bit long for room clearing.

Sorry to be so windy, there's nothing on TV.

Latest Threads