Issued kit circa 1982

And wearing a proper helmet.

I still remember the joy of wet putties and the 58 pattern GS Doss bag liner.

Mine were knee length.

WHAT?!!! No Toggle Rope?! Sarn't Major! That man on a fizzer!

Nostalgia - making sh1t kit seem better since round about the third pint.

Quite funny doing P Coy and coming off Long Valley and seeing puttees trailing behind blokes like the retreat from Moscow!

I thought that the best thing about that era of kit was the way that the canvas bags that everything came in could never be done up if wet.

The_Cad said:
But the helmet in the picture wasn't around in 1982.

Helmet Combat

History

This is the modern kevlar helmet. The Paras had a version for the Falklands Conflict (1982) but it was not a general issue until 1985. They were issued as personal issue with appropriate cover.
Here is the linky thing.

Thought my memory wasn't THAT bad......

My mate was de-kitting the other day when into the box he threw a brand new KF shirt - I almost broke into a rash looking at it, his issued swimming trunks (the worst type of speedos you could imagine) and his stanleys - fcuk me it brought back some memories!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The_Cad said:

I still remember the joy of wet putties and the 58 pattern GS Doss bag liner.
I had gaiters and 36 pattern when I joined. 58 pattern was a wonderful change. Loved puttees, almost.

I still have my chinese fighting suit in case I'm ever camping out in sub zero temperatures (more chance of hell freezing over)....cracking piece of kit.

Hated the 'boil in the bag' rubberised waterproofs..ended up soaking even if it wasn't raining.

Dossing in a farmer's barn during a very frosty winter, I remember freezing my nuts off and l looking up through the 58 pattern sleeping bag...I could see the barn lights & people walking about, The down had disappeared from the body area of the bag...cr*p.

out@last said:
I still have my chinese fighting suit in case I'm ever camping out in sub zero temperatures (more chance of hell freezing over)....cracking piece of kit.

Hated the 'boil in the bag' rubberised waterproofs..ended up soaking even if it wasn't raining.

Dossing in a farmer's barn during a very frosty winter, I remember freezing my nuts off and l looking up through the 58 pattern sleeping bag...I could see the barn lights & people walking about, The down had disappeared from the body area of the bag...cr*p.
Must have been mans bag sleeping welsh (3 feathers) but I know what you mean - the ones that only came in small so you had to sleep in the faetal position!

We had one long 58 bag in our company nabbed by some evil dwarf
When they hit the surplus shops all the long bags appeared :x .

Being a lofty 5'6" I was never struggling for a long enough 58 gonk bag, in fact I always seemed to be issued a long/extra-long.

A relative of mine however was always pleased to see that the CQMS of the Guards company he was in only ever had sleeping bags, short arrse, for the use of! :roll:

Being 6ft and still growing when I joined, I was rather perturbed when my Mk1 gonk bag (Midget) 1 off, only came up to my shoulders, but loved the chinese fighting suit.

The tin lid was on the ball too, wash in it, cook in it, get a dent in your head from the spike when you ran it it. Ah memories!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Once on excercise in Scotland, way north of Inverness, we were camping and picknicking in a field by a stream. This was our loc, with Support Coy (mortar pln) Having been abandoned there by rest of Bn we decided to make the most of it, and use a small brick building nearby as a doss shelter. Woke up next day, in our 58 ptn bags, to find them alive with sheep lice. No AL60 handy, so we ( pln sgt and me) had to go to nearest barracks, Fort something-or-other, home of a Jock battalion to obtain anti-louse powder. Probably most humiliating time of my career.

I miss the '58 pattern backpack, when you had your gonk bag strapped on top and tried to take up a fire position it'do one of 2 things, push your tin lid over your eyes so you couldn't see, or....drive yer fizzog into the ground, so you couldn't see! amazing idea and why they got rid of it i'll never know!! :D

just had a flashback to Germany, early 80's a mate was getting his active edge kit ready and wanged his pack into his top box, one of the hooks caught his nose as it went up and almost tore the fecker off, ah, the good old days

Ah, the '58 pattern back pack! Possibly its finest use was as a rugby kit bag? I do remember one frosty morning at OTA seeing one of my platoon dashing off in hot pursuit of one of THEM (Prudhoe Sqn) who had been rumbled doing a CTR. As he closed with and was about to rugby tackle the fleeing makeshift spetnaz, the backpack kindly flew up and knocked him arse over tits! The "insurgent" was able to make good his escape, at which point he paused on top of a nearby hillock and showed his pink, gleaming rear to the entire "task force" as it stood too!

As for the long sleeping bag shortage, it was only funny if you were indeed a dwarf or a gurkha. I, the man mountain Cuddles, found it neither amusing or warm so I bought my own ex-Silvermans. Brand new, never issued and guess what? Extra long, arctic pattern! Good old Procurement Exec!