Issued boots

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Russ84, Oct 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Recently I was talking to an x reg who told me that rather than training in running trainers, I would be better off getting my hands on some issued army boots and a pack.

Quite understandable, if thats what I'm going to be doing on basic training then probably best to get a head start now. I have a couple of questions, if anyone has the time to answer them I would very much appreciate it.

1, There seem to be a few different types of issued army boots. Are the boot i will be given on selection on this web page? http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2264.html

2, What sort of pack should I buy and what size? one of these?
    http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2298.html
    http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2299.html

3, How much weight should I carry and how far should I run for training?
    Ive been running 15miles in 2hrs 30mins with running shoes and no pack, so I'm not sure where that will put me with a pack and boots.

Thanks for any help.

2. I can't reccomend sorbothane insoles more, the issue boots have all the shock absorbing qualities of a block of concrete and your knees won't thank you for it.

Distance wise, They don't expect you to arrive at the ATR ready for your first ICFT, just do one run a week of about 2 or 3 miles at a decent pace in boots to begin with in order to get the feeling of running in boots and get your feet used to it.

As far as boots+ weight is concerned, Do it once a week at most, 8 miles in 2 hours with 25 kg is the ICFT standard. I DO NOT reccomend you try to emulate this immediately. But by all means do 2 miles with 15 kg to start with andf work up from there.

The golden rule here is not to inncrease weight, speed or distance by more than 10% per week. You don't want to turn up on day one all burnt out.

3. Got to ask, which kind of Sorbothane insole would you recommend for use in issue boots? Looking at the products, I would have thought Double Strike insoles. What would you recommend?

4. And is there a problem with using them during basic?

5. Thanks very much for your replies.

also...

Ive been going to the gym for 3 years and follow a fairly strict program whereby I rest any trained muscles for 3days after a workout. It was suggested to me to start doing push ups, sit ups and pull ups everyday.
    surly its better to work every muscle, rather than sticking to these 3 muscle groups.
    If i stick to these 3 exercises I'm not working my lower back, upper back, rear shoulder muscles or legs.

What would you guys advise i do?

6. Build up slowly, listen to your body and train wisely. Practice tabbing (speed marching) more than running with weight, as you will be expected to tab further than you can run.

A decent insole is a must, as is a decent pair of socks, to prevent blisters tape up the balls of your feet and your heels with zinc-oxide tape (prior to exercise) or better still, use vaseline rubbed into your feet and put your socks directly over the top.

Take on plenty of fluids as you tab, and try and get used to drinking from a waterbottle (but not a sports bottle, one with an open top), as you will not be able to use a camelback in training (unless things have changed).

7. Russ 84: Throw in some underarm Pull ups to Work the biceps and Shoulders, The two types of pull up do a lot for the back and the Rear Shoulders and the Press ups help with core stability.

For the Legs you can't get better than burpees (squat thrust followed by a star jump) Mix it up withh some lunges and squats and plenty of hill work when you're out running. The aim is not to turn into a beefcake, it's just extra weight to carry around, what you want is to build up the old power/ weight ratio.

8. Press ups are excellent, alter the position of your hands so your thumbs are crossed under your body and you will isolate the tricep, use wide arms and you will work the delts and lats more, just experiment!

In the gym, the power excersises ie. bench press, squats and dead lifts will work all your major muscle groups and indirectly work all the smaller interconnecting muscles.

9. Great info. thanks everyone.

Well seeing as my gym membership is up for renewal next week I may as well spend the money on insoles and socks.

Also... (again, sorry)
    I wear glasses. Should I spend a lot on money on some decent light weight goggles or strapped glasses, or the same amount of money on 2 or three pairs of cheap ones so that I always have spares?
    when glasses get mud on them It may be quicker to whip out another pair rather than cleaning them so you can see.

10. Notice how cheap the issued boot is?

After many years of pounding the pavements squaddies get all manner of soft tissue/lower limb injuries, as a result they end up being issued the boot below through the medical centre.

http://www.shocktroop.com/st/control/product?product_id=10030

Compare the price difference and look at the quality. If recruits were issued boots like these from the start of training I am sure we would see less injuries.

But please don't be put off!

11. Goon, Soozi. I can't think of a reason that you would not be allowed to use sorbothane insoles during basic training. That said, the ACIO will be able to clear that one up for you more definitively and so you had better ask them just to be sure. I Use double strike in my issue boots because the issue "Shredded Wheat" Insoles are complete pump.

12. Russ84, I find issue boots fine but would not recommend running in them (or any boots for that matter). Having worked in recruit training I would suggest cut your distance down and go for more speed. Mix short speed runs (perhaps 2 miles) with longer endurance runs (8 miles max).
    Dont bother running with a bergen- anyone who is fit can do that but you will damage yourself. I suggest 35 lbs fast walk for perhaps 1hr- 90 mins. Build weight to no more that 45 lbs.
    As others have said, dont ignore upper body etc.

13. On selection we were told not to cos its a sure-fire way of getting your ankles naffed. As for the insoles, sack 'em. I don't know if you've taken them out and looked at the 'shock absorbtion' on the bottom, but I can tell you that you'd be better off with a strip of carpet underlay in there. I'm swapping mine out for some that are designed for trainers, under my Cpl's advice.

14. during basic training do you not do any running in boots?
    should I run in trainers and march in boots?