Issue Tin Lid from mid 80s, help needed please.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by 12minden, Jun 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To cut a long story short I am being a spotter, not to be confused with walt, and want one for my office. IIRC it had the spider fitted inside, semi elastic chinstrap and had to be covered in scrim on exercise. Any ideas on what mark it would have been and/or where to get one from ?
  2. msr

msr LE

Not sure, but I joined in 1989 and mine was dated 1953.

3. Try here:
    (funnily enough)
  4. Mark IV 'Turtle'. Issued from about 1944 to about 1986 (that's when I handed mine in).

Where to get one? Well, I have one in my garage (minus spider etc and with a great big dent in the top from where Bubbles was smacked on the head by a falling rock in Cyprus) but it's not in very good nick. you'll probably find a reasonable one in a good surplus shop.
  5. Ha, that would make mine a 1950's model. Funny feeling it was dated around 1973 ish, would that be Mk4 or Mk 5 ?
    It didn't have a large brass plate fitted to the front and it was defo metal not leather or wrought iron !
  6. Nig.
  7. Thanks, that looks like the one. Is that a German ebay type site ?
  8. The Mark 4 helmet.

9. German mail order surplus shop in Hildesheim.
  10. Might give that a try, cheers for the tip.
    Think the one I left behind in BFG still had a yellow cover on with ROP on the front !!!
  11. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Mine was shiney silver with SUS
  12. Happy days eh, SUS to my timings.... double quick march ! Spent nearly as much time on ROPs for jumping back gate into Northumberland Bks as I did in tracksuit !
  13. Mine was adorned with scrim, made up from my issued vest and pants, weighed about 5 Kgs.
  14. Try here|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1684|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
  15. Haha, already got a watch on that, thanks.