Issue Specs for TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Countrylad, Mar 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've seen (excuse the pun) that you can be issued with specs if you ordinarily wear glasses. This seems to me to be a cracking idea as it would mean I wouldn't have to wear my expensive civvie ones (possibly getting them damaged) and could wear more robust issue ones instead. However, as i'm a STAB am I eligible for them and if so how does one go about getting them?

2. If you want to cut around looking like Jack Duckworth's slightly retarded younger brother crack on.

3. Get them. They are free. But look sh1t.

Then again I have never managed to pull in the field wearing my civvy specs either so....

Get down the C/SQMS get the form. You'll get inserts for your S10 as well (which are useful).

4. Your admin clerk should be able to get hold of the f med form required. If you require specs then you should also have lenses fitted to your ressy, many spec wearers dont bother or dont realise the exist.

If your admin clerk "can't" find the form then try your local army/raf navy base, I'm sure a man of your calibre will be able to sweet talk the medics

5. Cheers for the replies, frankly I don't care if I end up looking like a retarded joe 90, if it means I'm not going to break anymore specs or mess about with contacts then i'm happy.

6. From kitmonster on another thread

"Go to your Med Centre and get a form FMED 79. Ring up your local optician (check with the Med Centre who they have a contract with; here its spec savers.)

Get your eye test done and then take the form back to the Med Centre. On the form you can tick Respirator lenses, glasses etc."

7. Interesting replies. Previously the answer has always been that TA aren't entitled to spectacles, just respirator lenses. Has policy changed?

8. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

previously you have been lied to . . . .

9. JSP 340 still specifies Regular......

However, it wouldn't be the first time I've been lied to.........

10. I wasn't sure, hence why I asked. I'll be interested in the response I get when I ask for the forms.

11. That is a very good post regarding ressy specs - ensure you get them too (depending on your eyesight of course). There's nothing worse than enduring a 48hr 'NBC Phase' when you can see F All. Being a completely blind tw@t myself, they don't half make a difference. They are a tw@t to insert properly mind. Mind you - you won't pull anything but yourself in the issue specs. However, if you add large pink nose and fake moustache, an excellent disguise! And how is anybody going to recognise you without your disguise?

12. No mate no. What you want are two SUSATS and a roll of black nasty. Pass any eye test at 300m guaranteed.

13. VERY useful
    You need a copy of your optician's prescription (they will provide this on request)

14. Brilliant :D

15. When the form came for my ressie specs i noticed there was a tick box for ordinary specs as well so i ticked that and lo and behold they turned up about a week later.

See the thread in the QM section as well.