Issue socks

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by shavies, Nov 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do I go about washing the issue wool socks? Do I just put them in the washing machine just like the rest of my clothing? Bit wary about potentially ruining/shrinking them.

Cheers

2. I just shove them in with the rest of my kit. Never had any problems!

3. Cheers :D

4. Clearly chuck them in the washing machine. Phase 1 drying rooms + hand washed socks =.. self explanatory, so the whole army would be running on shrunken socks if you couldn't machine wash them.

5. Cheers RE, thought so.

I'm a weekend warrior who just got issued my kit, so I haven't sampled the delights of going into phase 1 with kit yet. That starts in January although I am going on the regiment and squadron christmas weekends.

6. The current issue socks can't hold a candle to the old green ones, especially after they've been washed/worn/washed/worn a few dozen times.
    I tried to get some of the current issue socks exchanged this week, which I've tried to do for the last three months. The clothing storeman at my camp (RAF) was apologetic as they still hadn't arrived, but he gave me a couple of pairs of these to make do for now;

AIRCREW TERRYLOOP MK3
    NATO GREEN
    NSN; 22C 8840-99-7702843

I test drove them yesterday whilst map reading around Aldershot training area, and I have to say I've never worn comfier socks. I'll be off to see my storeman again in a couple of days for a few more pairs, sod the black ones.

7. My dads got a few pairs of the green ones from when he was in the regs, when I'm next up I may borrow a pair from him.

8. I've got 7 pairs from when my Dad was in the regs and he left in '94, I could not believe it when I saw AAC soldiers at Middle Wallop wearing black socks three years ago when I started there with Aramark!

Is nothing sacred?

What next colour dependant on rank? You could have a rainbow colour scheme on parades, red socks for Privates up to violet socks for WO1s.

I think it would work.

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm currently wearing the very nice white/beige ones I got issued for Telic
    Very comfy and dam warm to boot
    Best socks I've ever been issued alot better than the black ones

10. Never had a problem with the black ones myself...very comfortable!

11. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Hey, they're free. Wear for a week and exchange for a new pair.

12. I think that the green ones are great and still have mine from 13 yrs ago. Not tried the black ones yet so can't comment. Always amazes me how your issued with 5 pairs but they seem to have given birth over the years!!!

13. best issue socks are the arctic ones closely followed by the dessie ones.

14. The old issue "plastic" olive green socks with the white writing on the bottom were awesome............

...............at shredding your feet. :wink:

Agree with F F.

The arctic issue socks with the thin red band around the top were by far the best ive been issued closely followed by the hot weather/desert sock. :D

15. So that's where all my difft foot mittens have gone! Can I have them back please? I'm getting close to having to wear the spaff sock.

As well as the spunk boxers and t-shirt