Issue Kit - Can I Have a Compass Please?!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by LazyLoki, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I went into the QMs the other day to try and get a compass (just a regular Silva) to replace the one I've had nicked by some scrote but I basically got the fat finger. When I told the storeman that I had a genuine need for one I got the old 'doesn't matter, we've not got any anyway' routine.

What's the score on this? Do I just have to buy one myself or can I indent for one somehow? I'll buy one if I have to since I really do need it but to be honest I'd rather just get one on flick..

Cheers

2. It's not a shop. Do you need one? What for? How long for? What you think is a genuine reason is just crap I've heard thousands of times before.

3. I'm doing the MAPRIC course.

4. Are you special or something?

Just rob one like everyone else does.

5. Thats the kind of attitude that got mine nicked in the first place! :)

Ah sod it, just found someone selling what looks to be the issue ones on eBay for £16.

6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I personally think every man jack should be issued one!

What do you need one for? To get from point A to point B, over the hills and through the clag please? Because my job requires it??

7. Is the Francis Barker M73 still available? NSN: 6605-99-768-3792

8. Yep, and I don't hold enough for one per man, therefore we ask the questions. Buy one, it'll last a lifetime.

9. X59

X59 On ROPs

What a shocker of a 'Norman the Storeman' response !

Serious question...How do troops navigate, or are they led by someone with a map and compass ?

If Mr map and compass becomes a casualty, how do the troops continue ?

I presume ( never good I know ) that navigation is still taught as a basic skill, but that needs to be maintained.

I can understand the outrage in the G10 'shop' if all and sundry wanted a fancy gps though.

10. Although not necessarily your lifetime because it will get nicked.

11. Tip your hat to your armourer and see if an exchange can be worked out involving biscuits. Not rich tea.

12. Compasses are so last century. Double away and buy yourself a Garmin 60csx GPS. It has a built in compass for those of a recidivist nature and you can pre load it with maps, routes and all that. And you can use it in your car like the average crap car route finder that takes you round and round city centres for no good reason - and it will talk to you whilst it is doing it.

13. Get a prismatic compass, they're better!....and they never need batteries! :grin:

14. Y'know I always wanted a prismatic compass for years until I got the CS60 map. Now I don't go anywhere without it - and I dont need a big crinkly map that gets wet and disintigrates.

15. Pah! I asked the hostie on the flight (KLM) out here if they would mind me tracking the flight so I could make a Google earth file of the track. She asked me: What IS that and, is it legal?