Issue helmet - Ballistic properties

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by wedge_cadman, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

We are in the process of reviewing for arrse some helmet inserts for the combat helmet. These are foam pads which are inserted inside the helmet to give extra padding/comfort.

A few of us have tried the pads and are having issues with fit once added. So my questions are;

Does the hardened insert which all the issue leather pads straps fix to add to the ballistic properties of the helmet? (mk6a)

Will removal of said insert make any difference?

2. No but it voids your insurance.
  3. And you can't wear it water-skiing.

Edit; I haven't helped, have I?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Why not no one says you can't, I'm sure the brief said don't paint it :)
  5. wedge_cadman

It depends if you're water skiing behind a combat support boat in the Adriatic in the 90's. But that's another story. ;)
  6. A mate of mine who was in quite a while ago had told me that the polystyrene (the hard inserts you speak of) was there to hold your head together in the event of a round penetrating the helmet. The polystyrene would melt rather than shatter/break so would remain intact. Not sure if this is bullshit or not though.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
  7. I'll read the review out of interest but, could I ask are these similar to the ones that the septics buy for themselves or get given by various charities?
  8. wedge_cadman

They are designed for the Septic helmet. Not sure if they are issued/bought/charity handout for the US. They are looking to the UK market as I understand it from a buy your own kit point of view
  9. I did that to my mk6a for H11, took all the guts out and used them velcro in pads that the septics have. I had no issues and my melon's still in one piece.
  10. Will taking out the foam insert make a difference to protection? Yes

In a good way? No

Would the US helmet with its pad system meet UK protection specs? No
  11. wedge_cadman

off topic (but it is my thread) Is the US Helmet a worse spec?
  12. Ah but were you shot in the helmet or did you have to claim after an accident wearing said modification? :)
  13. wedge_cadman

14. Probably not, but the helmet has been tested with the current system not the modification, thats where the issue will come from, it would be classed along the same lines as modifying safety equipment.

Also the MK7 now has gone a step further to address the poor design, ok not as complex as the us helmet but along the right lines.