issue gonk bag

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Timpatient, Jul 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the issue sleeping bag washable? Mine is absolutely minging and I'd like to give it a wash, but there are rumours about that it's dry-clean only.

As far as I can tell from the Interweb it seems that basically all bags are washable, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that these are the only exception...

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

dunno, but in our lot, if it needs washing you hand it and get another issued. The old one goes for laundering then back on the shelf for the next exchange.

3. Dry cleaning a bag will damage the down. Also your body heat will drive out fumes from the cleaning fluid; they aren't very good for you

4. As said put it through your G1098, SQMS or QM's department and they do the laundering for you.

Make sure you take out your w*nk sock though.

5. More to the point, make sure it hasn't been replaced when it comes back from the stores...

6. I was informed that they could be machine washed, generally in a large machine (launderette style), at 40 or lower, but everytime you wash it you decrease the warmth a bit.
    The other advice I got was to use on of the huge tumble driers on low heat as that would fluff the fibres out and help the bag retain heat.

Not sure if it's worth the hassle to be honest. Just make sure you smell more than the bag and you'll be happy.

7. they're fine in a washing machine

8. It depends what bag you are talking about - there are several 'issue' bags out there now. Regardless, I'd still take it back and get stores to put it through on the laundry contract. Better they c0ck up than you.

9. or use a liner & wash that?