Issue Glasses.

Doc_Henry

Old-Salt
What's the craic with the issue specs?

Gay joe 90 style ? or have they seen the light and issue-ing wearable specs?

Or would one be allowed to wear ones own specs at ITC Catterick?

Cheers

DH

fatmini

War Hero
last time I asked it was “Joe 90” all the way and only for those who where going out on ops where entitled to an issue pair

I seem to remember there was an article in the paper about 5 years ago about squaddies being bullied on ops for looking like a twat for wearing issue specs!

Mugatu2

Old-Salt
You've been able to wear your own for many years now. As the others have said, service glasses are still of the "perverted rapist" pattern.

tabasco-ck

Clanker
Mugatu2 said:
You've been able to wear your own for many years now. As the others have said, service glasses are still of the "perverted rapist" pattern.

That's most definitely the look I would prefer to achieve. :wink:

I wear my issue specs regularly. And I am neither gay nor a rapist. Go figure.

fatmini

War Hero
Dragstrip said:
I wear my issue specs regularly. And I am neither gay nor a rapist. Go figure.

your south of bicester.........case closed ! :D

By issue I take it you mean those wonderful NHS spec, black rimed,goggles as worn so well by Austin Powers.
48-24 FRAME UK ADCO

Rockhopperst4

Old-Salt
When i was filling in the form for my respirator lenses i noticed there was a box on there for specs so i ticked that as well. Four days later they turned up and very handy they have been as well. They are better for shooting in than my normal ones as the lens is bigger plus if they get broken then the Army will get me a new pair.

Doc_Henry

Old-Salt
Anyone got any pictures of these beauties? Can only seem to find yank ones on the interweb.

Rockhopperst4

Old-Salt
These are my "defence spectacles" as they are called!

glasses.jpg

The ones shown might tend to fall off if you fell over, although they look OK. Perhaps the Army could supply its glasses with the flexible curved ends to wrap round the ear (sorry, I could not find a photo).

I remember it used to be possible to get sports spectacle frames (by private purchase). These were secured by a thick elastic band. Unfortunately when you put them on, the frame twisted and the lenses fell out. Not recommended.

Rant over, I'll get my coat.

bobbit

Old-Salt
When I was in regs (crab air) I was issued with "defence Glasses" which had the wire spring arms and not the "hockey stick" type.......this was 1980 to 1992

exsysop

Old-Salt
never seen the point of wearing mega expensive glasses/watches on ex/ops..... they get broke and your left with the bill to replace...........G10 all the way and replaced courtesy of HM finest QM's department (or not as the case may be)

Alternatively 'Should of gone to Specsavers' and got BOGOF on the £75 range :)

Rockhopperst4

Old-Salt
Handiest thing i find with my defence specs is that the lens is much bigger than on my civvy glasses, when i shoot in the civvy ones i tend to find myself looking over the top of the lens so i have to raise my head a whole lot more than i should.

Latest Threads