Issue Desert Gortex Jacket

Although it’s not on their website, Silvermans did have some in their London shop. Unfortunately they're not the cheapest shop in the world and they don’t open on Saturdays. Give them a bell: 0207 7 900 900

You could also try E Bay, there’s loads of desert kit for sale on there.

Hope this helps,

LS

GrumpyGit said:
why on earth would anyone want to buy an "issued" desert gortex jacket?
Hiding on the beach?

General Melchett said:
Hiding on the beach?
Fair point, but why "buy" an "issued" gortex jacket - If your in the desert and need one, you'll get it issued, if your not in the desert, there s no need for one, or am I missing something here?

May be wrong but I think this item is only currently issued to fight club. Judging by his/her post profile, our '63' is a bit of a kit pest.

do you really need a waterproof jacket in a desert ?
seems a bizarre piece of kit :?

Actually hippy it rains like hell in Iraq over the winter- at least as bad as here if not worse. There are never enough desert gary's to go around so buying yer own is a fine example of ppp preventing ppp.

typical only we'd find a cold wet desert to invade :evil:

762baynet said:
Actually hippy it rains like hell in Iraq over the winter- at least as bad as here if not worse. There are never enough desert gary's to go around so buying yer own is a fine example of ppp preventing ppp.

only to true, TELIC 3 was one wet motherf**ker and suprisingly the only 4men in my Sqn to be issued with desert pattern Goretex, were! OC, Badge, QM and SQMS,

typical especially as the SQ and QM were always out and about in the wet with the lads on taskings etc !!!!! yeh right, more like they were tucked up cosy in Fortress lines for 6months keeping dry with Gary hanging nicely on back of their chairs

spitlock said:
762baynet said:

only to true, TELIC 3 was one wet motherf**ker and suprisingly the only 4men in my Sqn to be issued with desert pattern Goretex, were! OC, Badge, QM and SQMS,

typical especially as the SQ and QM were always out and about in the wet with the lads on taskings etc !!!!! yeh right, more like they were tucked up cosy in Fortress lines for 6months keeping dry with Gary hanging nicely on back of their chairs
Op TELIC 3 was a long time ago, things have changed and issued kit improved. Certainly the winter tour I recently did everyone had Gortex issued if they needed it. I could think of much better bits of kit to spend my money on

GrumpyGit said:
General Melchett said:
Hiding on the beach?
Fair point, but why "buy" an "issued" gortex jacket - If your in the desert and need one, you'll get it issued, if your not in the desert, there s no need for one, or am I missing something here?
Of course it never rains in Iraq - never horzontally for days at a time - and of course everybody in my company was ssued one. Would be wrong to imagine otherwise! :D

GG this was the case on T7 too. On T3 i never saw desert garys.

GrumpyGit said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA did you really just suggest that kit required for ops would be issued in theater?

Can't breath, laughing too hard, chest hurts....................

Bullet Sponge said:
GrumpyGit said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA did you really just suggest that kit required for ops would be issued in theater?

You obviously belong to a unit with bad admin - certainly not my experience, if the lads need it, the QM Dept gets it, by hook or by crook (normally a bit of both, but they get it), you need to look a bit closer to home and don't blame the system.

[quote
You obviously belong to a unit with bad admin - certainly not my experience, if the lads need it, the QM Dept gets it, by hook or by crook (normally a bit of both, but they get it), you need to look a bit closer to home and don't blame the system.[/quote]

Grumpy Git Get a grip of what you said i disagree, especially if your TA

the QM's are crap desk wallers in my view of the unit i served with on telic 2 wouldnt issue ammo took me a week to get it FFS. on issuing a Body armour got some to fit a fat dwarf i need 190 120 big lad me ended up with some 170 by 100 or somthing like that they had run out of the big body armour. FFS sake it was ok for protecting my neck & shoulders but fook all use for protecting my vital organs there reply make it fit. what with fooking black nasty and green string. lucky enough on checking the BA they gave a short fat guy a big one so we swapped but took me 3 weeks to get some that fitted.

but you could have a issued thermos mug for 55 degree heat during the day to get a brew.

Yes right get it issued if you need it

every troop has to do a Matt test on CBRN but my Squadron according to SQMS & QM's are not scheduled for CBRN suits for guys so we have to do with what we have not much.

in my previous unit could not get a cbrn suit to fit me even though saying 8 weeks before i needed a new suit for the Assistant instructors course i had to beg borrow & steel a suit to bloody fit me. i only needed the largest of standard issue suits as well not the special size either.

things dont get issued so like most soldiers i go out & buy my own cause its easier & less frigging hassle. how many soldiers get issued the mark 5 CBRN boots hardly any most instructors either buy beg borrow or steel a set so the at least look the part.

GrumpyGit said:
Bullet Sponge said:

You obviously belong to a unit with bad admin - certainly not my experience, if the lads need it, the QM Dept gets it, by hook or by crook (normally a bit of both, but they get it), you need to look a bit closer to home and don't blame the system.
Ummm you've been brainwashed haven't you. This is the same system that during TELIC (no number) finally came up with stores to issue my Regt desert combats and boots roughly 3 weeks before we flew home and required a lot of our lads to hand in the plates from their body armour so that units behind them could feel a bit safer........ 8O

Bullet Sponge said:
[Ummm you've been brainwashed haven't you. This is the same system that during TELIC (no number) finally came up with stores to issue my Regt desert combats and boots roughly 3 weeks before we flew home and required a lot of our lads to hand in the plates from their body armour so that units behind them could feel a bit safer........ 8O
Ummmmm - No I haven't. Your Op TELIC was obviously a long time ago - was it? I am simply saying that in "my experience" our unit managed to get everything it needed (nearly) and that individuals should not always simply blame "the system", they should sometimes look closer to home at their Pl/Coy/Bn/Regt/Bde procedures. I could quote several examples of soldiers who had the wrong size boots issued simply because the Pl Sgt who put in the list for kit didn't bother to ask his lad's their correct boot size! he simply went from what was written on their records (which in several cases was wrong). Of course the soldier who is given the wrong size boots simply blames the system/MOD.

I am not for one minute saying they have got it completely, but it is a damn site better than it ever was.