Issue Desert Boots

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ace359, Jun 13, 2007.

?
  1. They're good

47.4%
  2. They're rubbish

52.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just purchased some desert boots (crazily cheap for Grade 1) and want to know the opinions of some of the people that may have worn them as to how good they are in hot sandy places - where I'll be going soon for LOTS of hiking.

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Cheers

2. I had the desert magnums on Telic 3, awesome boots for me anyway, I know the new ones aren't seen to be as good, well not by my old troop anyway!

3. I had the desert magnums on Telic 3, awesome boots for me anyway, I know the new ones aren't seen to be as good, well not by my old troop anyway!

4. Ive been issued with two different patterns, Magnums and the ones before which didnt have a name- they were just basic pigskin style dezzies in high leg. Both were fine as long as you used a decent insole and (as with all boots) good socks. I still wear both pairs (not at the same time) when I need to work on the car etc. I did notice that i sweated less in the older pattern.

5. seems like a bot to me >.>

6. Haha good one there, though I am very real i assure you :)

7. That site claims they are current issue but the picture is of the very old issue.

There have been a number of different boots issued. Currently there are two versions. I believe the infantry version is very good. The other Arms version is ok but not great.

The old DMS style sole version as shown in that link keep feet cool but are very hard underfoot.

8. The question remains.... what would cadets want them for? Is next years Ten Tors going to be over Safwan Hill or something???

9. Well... almost hehe. I am hiking around areas in the middle east after having gone up Yes Tor a few weeks ago in Dartmoor

10. fair dues, but you have got to admit your 2nd post being a link to a site selling things looks supisious. =|

11. I bought a pair from that site for summer rough shooting/bunny blatting as I suffer from sweaty plates at the best of times... pair of insoles and decent socks and can't fault them for light work. Admittedly I'm usually carrying no more than rifle/12 bore, a few rounds and other odds & sods and (hopefully) some tasty fluffy animals but they seem supportive over rough ground, ploughed fields etc. I'm even thinking about retiring the KSB's for the summer in their favour due to overheating.

Anyway, can't fault the company - I've bought bits & pieces off them in the past as I'm too skint/tight to pay for RealTree camo and the only thing that's a bugger is the fixed p&p which is heavy if you just want one bit of kit.

12. Hiking around areas of the Middle East in mixed civ/issue kit ?

You are a braver man than I am Gunga Din.

FFS just get a pair of KSB's.

13. Buy American-either Altama or Belleville.
    Youll never look back.

14. im in iraq now wearing the issue CAB's, the spanish ones

and they are indeed, turd

few lads have gone down with feet problems, blisters etc...dont seem to be able to breathe v well.. and ya feet get v sweaty

however i spoke to a few of the tankies in 2 RTR out here and they all got issued meindl's! cnuts

i ordered myself a pair monday so should be here soon :D