Issue Desert Assault Vests

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jimnicebutdim, Aug 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been issued a desert vest and in one of the mag puches its got some inserts, are these any good or its worth cutting them out?

2. If you cut them out then the noise from them bashing around, when you have less than 3 in them could be a problem

3. Fair point.

4. They are also sh1t as the material at the base of the mag pouches wears through after a couple of months. If you are looking at personalising your kit before you go, i'd start with that. Bugger to replace when i was in theatre.

5. On that subject, is it worth getting your own vest made up or is the issue good enough ?

6. Going off my experience. If you are going to be wearing osprey then just get some extra pouches and stick with that and save your money. If needs must, and you will need an assault vest then it lasted me 4 months and by that point it was beyond repair. Saying that though, the supply chain should be good enough now to get you a replacement without a wait. Save your money unless you really want to spunk it up the wall.

7. Cheers Crabmabb.

8. Crabmabb's right. Osprey's great but you can't get get your assault-vest on over it unless you're kate moss. Which I'm not.

9. I understand that the pouches are a certain type to go on Osprey, and blokes were having to buy their own as the mags wouldn't fit - has that been rectified by the system or should one get a set of pouches?

10. Yes and no. Mags do fit but 3 only in each pouch. At bastion the indigenous-peoples AKA chogi's are selling their own version of Osprey pouch's which are slightly roomier but cost something daft like $20 each.
    If you're a yank pay face value, else haggle them down to $10 :wink:

11. Cool! Cheers Dead.

12. never bothered with the desert vest i got issued

like said above, too bulky for osprey... i wouldnt mind a dpm one though for exercise etc. i hate plce webbing

13. On the current Telic what alot of lads are doing is getting rid of all the pouches on osprey. And buying the leg holsters where they fit 6 mags and strap it to their leg, any other bits of extra kit they have usually goes into a daysack!
    I've just used the 2 ammo pouches on the osprey and thats all I've needed.

14. if you to go your cqms they might have buckshee ammo pouches though

pain in the arrse that you can only fit 2 in each pouch.. and you get isssued 2, when in reality you carry six mags...

15. With the issue Osprey pouches I found a few issues. Firstly, Osprey is quite thick. Add to that ammo pouches on the front and the leverage /weigh gave me a bit of back trouble. If you put them on your side the Velcro holding the body armour closed comes undone. One other point; putting the pouches on your front makes it impossible to adopt a decent prone position - a position I found I quite comforting at times.

I tried thigh ammo pouches but they rubbed and were a nightmare when running.

I tried an assault vest, but over the already bulky Osprey I felt like Mr Creosote.

I eventually settled on belt order with the yoke worn under the Osprey. Due to the thickness of the Osprey at the back I found I could still sit in a vehicle relatively OK. The Osprey sat on the belt order, transferring weight to my hips and spreading the load nicely. Also, I could lie down prone; as I said, a useful thing.

Go belt order - it's what god intended Infantry to do.