Issue Camelbak Hydration Pack Cleaning Tips

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by sixty_three, Apr 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just got a second hand camelbak and need some tips on keeping them clean please plus any feedback on them

2. msr

msr LE

3. solution of 6 puri tabs from a rat pack, and left to soak overnight....Then rinse out, and add a solution of bicarbonate of soda, to remove any odour, and finally a rinse with boiling water...

Then either use one of the gucci drying racks, or put a wee bit of fresh water in ti, and pop it in the freezer until you need it.....

4. I've found that the cheapest way to keep Camelbaks clean is to use either a strong Puritab solution or the tablets used to steralise babys' milk bottles (available form the supermarket). A brush, again the type used to help steralise babys' milk bottles, is good for scrubbing out the bladder.

Camelbak do have a range of cleaning accessories, but you can improvise with household type stuff. Camelbak does do a small brush on a length of wire which is used for cleaning out the hose. This is the only thing you would have difficulty improvising.

I always get rid of any water loafing in the bladder after cleaning by shaking it thoroughly and airing it to dry it out. You don't want any water lying in the bladder and hose while it's hanging in your locker, etc, as you might go down with a stomach bug the next time you use it.

5. I've found that the cheapest way to keep Camelbaks clean is to use either a strong Puritab solution or the tablets used to steralise babys' milk bottles (available form the supermarket). A brush, again the type used to help steralise babys' milk bottles, is good for scrubbing out the bladder.

Camelbak do have a range of cleaning accessories, but you can improvise with household type stuff. Camelbak does do a small brush on a length of wire which is used for cleaning out the hose. This is the only thing you would have difficulty improvising.

I always get rid of any water loafing in the bladder after cleaning by shaking it thoroughly and airing it to dry it out. You don't want any water lying in the bladder and hose while it's hanging in your locker, etc, as you might go down with a stomach bug the next time you use it.

6. don't put anything but water into it. Anything else and it gets rather nasty very quickly. If it is possible, use the 'keep it in the freezer' trick. Between that and just water inside, I have never had to de-gunk my current one - and it is 3 yrs old.

7. try a cupfull of milton cleaning fluid once a month. does the trick for me.

8. Blech(Chlorine) once in a while
    Baking powder now and then removes the taste.