• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Issue Boots

#1
My son is off to Afghan in a few weeks. What are the latest issue boots like? Would it be worthwhile to buy him a decent American pair for Christmas?
 
#2
The carboard issue desert boots are crap though Meindl and Lowa are now being issued. If he has already signed for his full desert issue and only been issued the cardboard clogs then it's likely that's all he will get
 
#3
siggie47 said:
My son is off to Afghan in a few weeks. What are the latest issue boots like? Would it be worthwhile to buy him a decent American pair for Christmas?
No, but you might want to buy him a nice comfy pair of Altbergs.
 
#4
dropshortRE said:
siggie47 said:
My son is off to Afghan in a few weeks. What are the latest issue boots like? Would it be worthwhile to buy him a decent American pair for Christmas?
No, but you might want to buy him a nice comfy pair of Altbergs.
Got a pair myself - thay are fantastic. I did however do a summer tour, the Altbergs i have are very lightweight but could have been a little cold for the winter. That said, the issued Meindl got the thumbs up from everyone who had them.
 
#5
Soldiers have complained about boots since time memorial
I loved the issue boots - they worked for me .. I appreciate some people are different shapes etc
as they say...if the army kit fit you you must be a 'mong'
 
#6
box-of-frogs said:
dropshortRE said:
siggie47 said:
My son is off to Afghan in a few weeks. What are the latest issue boots like? Would it be worthwhile to buy him a decent American pair for Christmas?
No, but you might want to buy him a nice comfy pair of Altbergs.
Got a pair myself - thay are fantastic. I did however do a summer tour, the Altbergs i have are very lightweight but could have been a little cold for the winter. That said, the issued Meindl got the thumbs up from everyone who had them.
I was there Dec to June, no problems with cold feet during the winter. Just wore winter socks, then changed to the issue dessie socks when it got hotter.
 
#7
I got issued Magnums and had no probs at all. Like the others said everyones feet are different.

Yank boots aren't all that in my opinion, Lowas or Altbergs are what you want. Just go to RVops they are a site sponser.

RVops, I assume I get a cut for dropping your name in. No, fine.
 
#9
Echo the Altberg and Lowas being excellent, issue boots have been crap for years, bar pro boots and 1 or 2 others, it does look like the latest issue kit is better though.
 

Latest Threads