issue assault vest and sa80 a2 mags

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by the_big_cheese, Dec 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am looking to buy a issue assault vest but have been told that the a2 mags dont fit the mag pouches, do they fit or are they a tight fit?. or is someone having a laugh. thanks in advance. :?

2. They are the same as the old ones just a better grade of metal and heavier so i think someone is taking the p1ss.

3. Big Cheese, you have a pm sir.

4. that is what i thought but dont want to part with any money till i am sure.

5. 2 solutions for you.

1. If you're that worried and if you're buying from a shop / a firm, send the dealer an email or letter asking him the question. When he replies 'yes' tell him that you're buying the vest on the basis that it is compatible with new mags. If you find the mags don't fit, you are entitled to return for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act (providing you return the vest otherwise unused.)

2. The magazine housing on the rifle is the same size, therefore the magazine is no broader or deeper than it was. It may be very marginally longer (I don't normally carry a micrometer) but it could even be a couple of centimetres longer and could still fit it most ops vests, so long as they have an extension strap on the pouches.

No problem on my vest. I think this is another old wives' tail.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

They fit OK in my WebTech vest HOWEVER I can only get 2 mags per pouch as they are too tight with 3 because of the internal deviders.

7. I guess that's the vest rather than the mags then, spike?

8. the new H+K 'A2' mag is slightly longer.

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Yoa callin me a fat git!!!?? :p

Yea,The pouches are too tight for 3 mags & the front divider is sewn too far back making the front pouch campartment useless.

10. There is a marginal difference between the A1 and A2 mags, the A2 being larger. The problem with the ammo pouches on the issue vest has always been there. The pouches were a tight fit when the A1 was in use. The marginal difference now just serves to make the situation worse. Later production for Telic issue was even worse. Early vests were made by CQC and are generally superior quality, later production is poorer all round. These later examples can be identified by the short strap hanging useless from the shoulders with half a quick release buckle on the end. All of the above refers to DPM vests, I can't comment on the very latest issue in desert cam but suspect the pouches may be a better size.

Many end users are removing the original pouches and replacing with the belt type, heavier lined webbing with Spanish clips and velcro (a better option for one handed use). If you go with this option make sure their professionally attached and remove all fittings from the rear to reduce bulk and weight.

Any reliable supplier should be able to answer any concerns you have. We keep Colt and A2 mags here just for that purpose. http://www.ukkitmonster.com/default.php?cPath=24

KM

11. thanks everyone just the info i needed.