Israelis reject George Mitchell loan guarantee threat

US envoy George Mitchell said this week the US could withhold loan guarantees to extract concessions from Israel.

The guarantees allow Israel to raise money cheaply overseas.

Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz reacted by saying the Israeli economy was doing well.

"We don't need to use these guarantees," he was quoted by Israeli media as saying.
Meanwhile Senators McCain, Lieberman downplay Mitchell's threat,7340,L-3832424,00.html

Mitchell can threaten Jerusalem, but there will be others ready to defend Israel in Washington: Four senior US senators visiting Israel said Sunday that they oppose attempts to apply pressure on Israel by freezing aid.
they might accept if he runs through a rendition of "faith" ;)
Well Done Sergey! Another Israel story!

Tell me - you got an opinion on this or are you just stirring again?
in_the_cheapseats said:
Well Done Sergey! Another Israel story!

Tell me - you got an opinion on this or are you just stirring again?
I believe dear friend that it is a very important issue. It is something that could have a global impact.

Is Israel economy strong enough not to use American loan guarantees? Maybe... or maybe not.

Just yesturday I baught (in a supermarket here in Moscow) Israeli carrots (excellent ones) with a word 'Shomron' (Samaria) on the package. Previously I baught Israeli mandarin oranges and other fruits. By the way I contribute to Israeli economy by advancing Israeli made equipment in Russia. I use it in my project, consult our customers, explain why it is better than Canadian, Spanish, German or Russian made analogs. Business is business.

But our customers are not idiots. If relations between Israel and the USA are spoiled then such a situation would lead to a conclusion that for political reasons Israeli made equipment is not 'reliable' for systems designed for future expansion.

Returning to the theme it self I would like to express my opinion. It would in the interests of Israel and the Israelis to recognize 1967 borders, recognize East Jerusalem as a future capital of independent Palestine and propose fair exchange of territories. High technologies don't require much land but they require much brain. A man whom I know years live in the West Bank. Well it would be fair to allow him to live there along with other Israelis. And equal number of Palestinians should be allowed to live in Israel itself.