Israeli troops opened fire along the Syrian border

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Video, Israel: Several Dead After Israeli Troops Open Fire Along Syrian Border | World News | Sky News

Eight people have been killed after Israeli troops opened fire along the Syrian border, according to reports.

At least 45 people were also said to be injured in the clashes on the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Initial reports from Israel Radio indicated pro-Palestinian demonstrators from neighbouring Syria approached a frontier fence and were shot as they tried to break through.

Israel military officials have said only that they fired warning shots at the infiltrators.

It occurred on the day Palestinians mark the "Nakba" or catastrophe of Israel's founding in 1948.

More to follow...

2. Does it still count as a warning shot if it hits someone?

3. Yes - it's a warning to the others :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Good on 'em. The Israelis don't **** about like we do.

5. aye i agree.i would imagine there is some itchy fingers within the idf at the present.

6. HHH

HHH LE

We could do with a few Israelis in the UK border control agency.

7. Mybe a battalions worth or two would be good :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Israeli army accused Syrian president Bashar al Assad's regime of "organising" the violence as a means to divert attention from pro-democracy protests in his country.

Meanwhile, Syria's foreign ministry condemned Israel's activities as "criminal", adding the Jewish state would "have to bear full responsibility for its actions".

A further six people were shot dead at Israel's border with Lebanon, medical sources said.

Shots were also fired at Gazans approaching the Erez crosing.

[​IMG]

There have also been clashes near Ramallah in the West Bank and in Issawiyeh, where Israeli forces used water cannons on Palestinians. They retaliated by throwing rocks and other missiles.

Sky News' Middle East correspondent, Dominic Waghorn, in Jerusalem, said the Nakba normally brought clashes, but that this violence was unprecedented.

"Thousands of Syrians, possibly Palestinian refugees who live in Syria, tried to get through the border fence there.

"Scores of them seem to have got through and they were fired on by the Israeli military.

"Traditionally the Assad regime (in Syria) has stopped these protests getting near the border fence and the Israelis are already accusing the Syrians of orchestrating this and saying that the Iranians may well be behind this as well."

In Tel Aviv, a truck driven by an Arab Israeli slammed into vehicles and pedestrians, killing one man and injuring 17 people.

[​IMG]

Police have not yet established whether the incident was an accident or an attack.

Witnesses said the driver, who was arrested, ran amok with his truck in the traffic.

In the fighting over Israel's creation, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were uprooted, and the dispute over the fate of the refugees and their descendants, now numbering several million, remains a key issue in the Middle East conflict.

9. I've always been a fan of their work.

10. Some press wonk phoned up a senior EL-AL security bod to ask for the EL-AL reaction to any attempted hijack after 9/11. He thought for a moment and then said "I think he would have got as far as 'This is a hi...' Dammit, I lurve their attitude.

11. Just a point, but that bit of map labelled "West bank" is better known as Judea and Samaria.

12. Britain needs Israelis manning the borders and Singaporean police to put down any communist-inspired "activists" who may think of having riots here to support their Arab and Iranian friends.

Oh and shoot the traitor(alleged) George Galloway.By accident,of course.

13. Both names "The West bank" and "Judea and Samaria" are well known. Let's investigate what name BBC prefers.

BBC News - Israel rejects Palestinian unity government with Hamas

I'm more than sure that mr.Lieberman used Israeli name Judea and Samaria. But BBC "translated" the name from English to English.

The West Bank is populated mainly by the Palestinians and there is a wide undestanding that the West Bank [Judea and Samaria] will be a part of the future Palestinian state. So it would be logical to use not Israeli given but more neutral name.

As you may see the name Judea and Samaria is used by BBC in the quote with explanation.

14. My point exactly, KGB. Judea and Samaria are, it seems, provinces of Israel, with borders protected by Israel, and policed internally by Israeli and Palestinian police. Palestinians may live there, but it's not called Palestine, is it?

Jericho, Bethlehem, Ramallah etc are, similarly, populated by Palestinians living in Israel. Palestinians who are rather better informed than those who were naive enough to believe they could break through the border without retaliation by the IDF.

15. Israel doesn't regard Judea and Samaria as parts of the state of Israel. Of course it is possible to call Frace as Gallia, Switzerland as Helvetia and Great Britain as Albion. But rather a text more poetic. In the news modern names are used.