Israeli raid on Gaza aid flotilla broke law - UN probe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pp0470, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Israeli raid on Gaza aid flotilla broke law - UN probe

Unlawful blockade, unacceptable level of brutality, humanitarian crisis in Gaza... speaks for itself really.

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Yep, but try explaining the implications of this to the gunboat diplomatists, carrier advocates, naval nostalgia junkies and general Dark Blue wall-bangers currently running amok on the Current Affairs Forum - truly, age doth not weary them... Hopefully Dr Who will master the Time/Space Continuum and teleport them all back to Rum Ration so that decent folk can get on with their lives.

3. Couldn't care less really. Everbody involved is a ****!

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Unlawful: was discussed to a great degree on here where several informed commentators pointed out that it was in no way illegal.

Brutality: Boarding a ship (one out of six ships, some of the passengers on which who had publicly proclaimed their desire to be martyrs) armed with non-lethal paintball type weapons?

Crisis: Stop lobbing rockets at Israel; crisis over.

5. No great surprise anyway with the UN.

6. UN = Apologists for Islamic terrorism.

7. Agreed......

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Back on thread - what Delta Dog said.

9. Given the robust Jewish state's lively self critical nature I fully expect the Israeli inquiry to highlight the extreme incompetence of both politicians and the military in this affair while stoutly defending the necessity of Israel acting outside international law and simultaneously insisting it didn't. Legalistic quibbling is pretty much irrelevant.

10. Strange.

I remember several commentators posting on both sides of the debate. NOTHING to conclusively demonstrate "that it was in no way illegal". It seems better informed people have come to an alternative interpretation.

Still, since you're a Moderator Sixty, you must be right as always.

Israel to pull back to pre-1967 borders, or maybe even the 1947/8 partition plan borders; crisis over.

Reality is that neither of these suggestions will end the crisis, will they?

11. Can't see what the incident has to do with islamic terrorism to be honest. The UN is nothing but a composite of its parts. If it's an apologist for Islamic terrorism (even though it isn't), that's the UN's prerogative. It doesn't have to toe the line to a government/people that doesn't like its decisions.

Personally, I think it would be a great improvement to the Israel-Palestine situation if they conducted all their skirmishes out at sea. The nutters (both sides) can go and play at navy and leave the moderate majorities (Palestine and Israel) at peace.

12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I was basing that largely on Carpe_Diem's opinion since as a Naval officer he had rather a better insight into the situation than yourself. However, should you be a maritime law expert I'm sure you'll correct me.

Don't be facetious. It's tiresome.

Well my suggestion would end the blockade; yours is somewhat pie in the sky.

13. Not as pie in the sky as some might think

These things go on behind closed doors, every gridlocked conflict seems endless, then someone ends it.

14. I once sat in a Spitfire and moved the control column around. I guess that makes me an expert on Battle of Britain dogfighting!

Being a naval occifer doesn't a legal expert maketh.

It is very difficult to find any single situation on which the legalities are unarguably clear-cut. Law is open to interpretation - and the ability to buy the more competent lawyer. Carpe_Diem offered his interpretation. Look back over his posts over the years and it is no surprise that he interpreted the law in the way he did. That doesn't mean he is correct.

So dressing up your opinion and passing it off as fact.

I don't believe it would end the blockade. Israel will just find some other reason to keep it in place until they FINALLY realise it is counter-productive to [what they claim is] their long-term goal.

15. PS. You're correct about my pie-in-the-sky comment. The responsible action of leaving occupied territory - be it post-67 or post-47 partition map - is quite beyond the competence of the current Israeli mindset. How silly of me to bring up this ludicrous idea.