Israeli convicted by Colombia freed by E.U.

P

pp0470

Russia 'frees Israeli mercenary'

Russia has released Israeli mercenary Yair Klein, who was sought by Colombia for his involvement in the training of paramilitary squads, reports say.

Klein, a former Israeli army soldier, is on his way to Israel, Interfax news agency reports.

In 2001, a Colombian court convicted him in absentia of training right-wing guerrilla groups.

Russia arrested him in 2007 under an Interpol warrant and later agreed to extradite him to Colombia.

But the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) forbid the extradition, on grounds that he might face mistreatment in Colombia

Klein was sentenced in absentia in 2001 to 10 years and eight months in prison in Colombia for assisting and training drug lords and guerrilla groups in the 1980s and 1990s.

He was found guilty of training a cadre of killers for the infamous Medellin drug cartel, a charge which he denies.

They later became the nucleus of the brutal paramilitary army known as the United Self Defence Forces of Colombia (AUC), which prosecutors said carried out some of the country's most notorious political assassinations.
International justice at its best again.

Does this mean no one will be deported to the USA now, because they torture people too?

Worth noting that this former IDF Airbourne Colonel has also served prison time in Sierra Leone in 1999, on charges of smuggling arms to the rebel group Revolutionary United Front.

BBC News - Russia 'frees Israeli mercenary'

Dim question inbound...

How did Europe/ECHR block Russia from sending him to Brazil? Surely it's none of our/their business?
Unless my geography is muddled?

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

P

pp0470

How did Europe/ECHR block Russia from sending him to Brazil? Surely it's none of our/their business?
Unless my geography is muddled?
Your S.American geography is muddled Son! It was Colombia seeking his extradition.

Anyway,

He has been detained in Russia since 2007. Klein's family has fought extradition, alleging that it would mean certain death.

After several court cases, Russia's Supreme Court rejected his final appeal in 2008, and ordered Klein to be extradited to Colombia.

The ECHR ruled against it, saying Klein could face serous mistreatment.

Although Russia appealed the ECHR decision, the court upheld the decision.
How does ECHR affect Russian extradition - I'm not sure, but guess it was due to original arrest warrant for Yair Klein been issued by International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).

Your S.American geography is muddled Son! It was Colombia seeking his extradition.

Anyway,

How does ECHR affect Russian extradition - I'm not sure, but guess it was due to original arrest warrant for Yair Klein been issued by International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).

Good grief, it makes you wonder how the idiotic ECHR would have suggested treating the Nazi war criminals after WW2, would they say it was within their, the Nazi's, human rights to do what they did in the various concentration camps and they should be sent to a nice clinic in Switzerland to have the error of their ways explained to them, after all they couldn't possibly get a fair trial from the vicious aggressors who won the war!

Russia...Israeli... the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR)... Colombia
So, the square root of cock all to do with the EU, then.

ex-colonial said:
Good grief, it makes you wonder how the idiotic ECHR would have suggested treating the Nazi war criminals after WW2,
It would have been rather unlikely to make any suggestions. Perhaps you should ask Churchill, considering he was responsible for its creation.

P

pp0470

So, the square root of cock all to do with the EU, then.

Originally Posted by ex-colonial
Good grief, it makes you wonder how the idiotic ECHR would have suggested treating the Nazi war criminals after WW2,
It would have been rather unlikely to make any suggestions. Perhaps you should ask Churchill, considering he was responsible for its creation.
Blaming Churchill for the farce that is the EU Parliment is a bit unfair - it would be like blaming Clement Atlee for the shameless characters living off the benefits system today. It is the fault of the tax payers and voters, i.e. YOU, who have sat back and done nothing as it has evolved into what it is today.

The previous comparison of Colombia's AUC (private right wing paramilitary) to Nazis is not far wrong. In a previous life I nearly had a run in with a group of them in Colombia, but was thankfully vouched for by a local friend. I wasn't scared at the time, but since getting to know more about them I now know I should have been.

Murderous bastards them AUC. Trained by the Israeli who has just returned home a free man. Thanks to YOU (ok, us). THis is all been done in our name.

ex-colonial said:
Good grief, it makes you wonder how the idiotic ECHR would have suggested treating the Nazi war criminals after WW2.
ottar said:
Blaming Churchill for the farce that is the EU Parliment is a bit unfair...
Err, and where have I done that?

Just in case you missed it the first time round, the ECHR has cock all to do with the EU.

Unlikely Russia was influenced by the ECHR.

I think that it is rather connected to the recent extradiction of mr.Bout from Thailand to the USA.

BBC News - Extradited 'arms dealer' Viktor Bout arrives in US

Alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout has arrived in New York, following his extradition from Thailand and a diplomatic row with Russia.

US Attorney General Eric Holder said the extradition was a "victory for law and order" saying Mr Bout had been "a source of concern around the world".

Russia described the extradition as a "blatant injustice", the result of extreme American pressure on Thailand.
By the way, Russia could follow US line and jail the Israeli after a trial using Colombian findings.

It is possible that the Israeli was freed as a part of a deal and mr.Bout could be freed few months later. Russian TV reported that American mass media 'have lost interests to mr.Bout case'. Maybe it was made by the 'signal' from the White House.

P

pp0470

Unlikely Russia was influenced by the ECHR.

I think that it is rather connected to the recent extradiction of mr.Bout from Thailand to the USA.

BBC News - Extradited 'arms dealer' Viktor Bout arrives in US
Are you watching a wide screen HD tv kgb? You seem to have a good view of the bigger picture.

I too (now you have pointed it out) can't believe these are not related. So maybe not who I thought was to blame (ECHR), but still very wrong.

Ottar said:
Err, and where have I done that?
You're right, please excuse my assumptive ignorance.