Israeli armed forces chief quits over Lebanon conflict...

Israeli armed forces chief quits over Lebanon conflict failures
Times Online Link
Israel’s most senior soldier resigned dramatically last night in an apparent acknowledgement of failures in last summer’s war in Lebanon.

A military spokeswoman said that Lieutenant-General Dan Halutz, the Chief of Staff of the Israel Defence Forces, had told Ehud Olmert, the Prime Minister, and Amir Peretz, the Defence Minister, that he was quitting “as the investigations have run their course”.

He was referring to a series of inquiries into last year’s war, which was sparked by an incursion into Israel from Lebanon by Hezbollah fighters, who captured two soldiers and killed three.

“With the echoes of battle having faded, I have decided to act on my responsibility,” the spokeswoman quoted General Halutz as saying in his resignation letter. Dan Shomron, a retired Israeli general, recently concluded his investigation into the execution of the 34-day war. A government-appointed committee of inquiry is separately looking into the conduct of Mr Olmert and Mr Peretz.

The general’s report, which was partly released last month, criticised Israeli military commanders for poor organisation during the war but stopped short of calling for General Halutz’s resignation.

Yesterday the general told members of the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, that the war had been conducted with no clear objective.

Now if only the Pentagon can take a cue....

It was only a matter of time before he jumped, and one may well suspect that he got a fair ammount of encouragement as well. The next question is whether he will now try to get the PM to join him

Dan Shomron, a retired Israeli general, recently concluded his investigation into the execution of the 34-day war
Now there is a man who knows how to plan and execute an operation. (Entebbe for those who don't know).

There was something objectionable about General Halutz I couldn't put my finger on (nothing to do with him being a Crab). Arik, what's the procedure and rationale behind the appointments of the the IDF Chief of Staff? It isn't often an Air Force Officer gets the job.

Seadog said:
... Arik, what's the procedure and rationale behind the appointments of the the IDF Chief of Staff? It isn't often an Air Force Officer gets the job.
I could not be too sure about appointment. Definitely, depends on operational expertise and experience. Also, will depend on their route throught the military (for ground forces). I always thought that many years ago, those appointed to OC Southern Command were seen as sure risers to the very top job, it then switched to Northern command, as the threat / operational tempo had passed from Egypt to Syria (or Lebanon).
The also come from infantry or armour.

Not many IAF have been appointed into the slot, may be it is time for the navy? (NOT) Halutz was definitely the worst CGS IMHO, and his predecessors' (Yaalon) failure to secure an extension to the slot was made on political grounds.