Israeli armed forces chief quits over Lebanon conflict...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Israeli armed forces chief quits over Lebanon conflict failures
    Times Online Link

2. Now if only the Pentagon can take a cue....

3. It was only a matter of time before he jumped, and one may well suspect that he got a fair ammount of encouragement as well. The next question is whether he will now try to get the PM to join him

4. Alot of people are hoping so!!!

5. Now there is a man who knows how to plan and execute an operation. (Entebbe for those who don't know).

There was something objectionable about General Halutz I couldn't put my finger on (nothing to do with him being a Crab). Arik, what's the procedure and rationale behind the appointments of the the IDF Chief of Staff? It isn't often an Air Force Officer gets the job.

6. I could not be too sure about appointment. Definitely, depends on operational expertise and experience. Also, will depend on their route throught the military (for ground forces). I always thought that many years ago, those appointed to OC Southern Command were seen as sure risers to the very top job, it then switched to Northern command, as the threat / operational tempo had passed from Egypt to Syria (or Lebanon).
    The also come from infantry or armour.

Not many IAF have been appointed into the slot, may be it is time for the navy? (NOT) Halutz was definitely the worst CGS IMHO, and his predecessors' (Yaalon) failure to secure an extension to the slot was made on political grounds.