Israel to send Troops to Cyprus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Outstanding, May 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly suggested creating a 20,000-strong military presence in Cyprus to protect oil and gas interests on the island, Turkey’s state-run news agency reported Sunday.
    According to the report by the Anatolia news agency, Netanyahu met with Greek Cypriot leader Demetris Christofias in February and offered to assume all construction expenses for a gas extraction plant. In exchange, Israelis would be contracted for all 10,000 positions necessary to man the facility. The employees’ families would also live on the Greek part of the island.

The 20,000 soldiers were recommended to safeguard the civilian workforce and family members, according to a source close to the Greek Cypriot government. The soldiers would be stationed in Limassol, the report said.
    Christofias reportedly also asked Netanyahu to convince Israeli business leaders to halt all Israeli investment in Turkish Cyprus.
    The IDF Spokesperson’s Office had no comment on the report. The Foreign Ministry could not be reached for comment.

Several companies from Israel and around the world have reportedly invested in a tender to develop a gas field off Cyprus, a move which has angered Turkey. On Friday, Ankara threatened to ban companies investing in the field from Turkish energy projects.
    (source: Times of Israel)

2. I see that it is only a suggestion currently and one reported by the unfriendly Turks at that. Shame, there is some good night life in Cyprus, might be a good posting as I am sure many people on this site can verify.

3. So Israel want to fight someone else on top of Iran and any number of terrorist groups ?

4. Is that why certain areas and camps are empty and ready for occupation.

5. 20,000 seems like rather a lot of troops, that's in the same ballpark as the 06 incursion into Lebanon.

6. It's just what the place needs. More troops.

7. The reporting does sound very dubious, but the timing is interesting. The gas fields in that part of the Mediterranean are contested by Israel, Cyprus and Lebanon. The main issue is the lack of well-defined maritime borders, and this allowed Israel substantial amount of room to lay claim to more than it should if maritime borders were defined.

Considering the violence in Syria is spilling over into Lebanon, I wouldn't be surprised if the Israeli government is leaping upon this distraction to make a deal with Cyprus and leave Lebanon in the lurch.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a rumour stemming from a meeting between the Cypriot and Israeli leadership over how they might protect the gas fields should certain Lebanon-based entities oppose this deal.

8. Erdogan pumping up the Anti Israel Hysteria, nothing more.