• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Israel to attack "within days"

#1
Times reports:
The Israeli military is preparing itself to launch a massive aerial assault on Iran's nuclear facilities within days of being given the go-ahead by its new government.
Among the steps taken to ready Israeli forces for what would be a risky raid requiring pinpoint aerial strikes are the acquisition of three Airborne Warning and Control (AWAC) aircraft and regional missions to simulate the attack.
Two nationwide civil defence drills will help to prepare the public for the retaliation that Israel could face.
“Israel wants to know that if its forces were given the green light they could strike at Iran in a matter of days, even hours. They are making preparations on every level for this eventuality. The message to Iran is that the threat is not just words,” one senior defence official told The Times.
 
#3
It's the standard monthly reminder by the Tel Aviv lobby that they are far more important than any concerns that we have about our own economic woes or the sordid affairs of New Labour.

If they repeat the same refrain enough times, they hope, people will just assume (wrongly) the inevitability of a military strike by the IDF.
 
#6
parapauk said:
They'll wait until after Iran's 'election' in June to see which way Iran is going.
They'll be waiting for Washington and/or Riyadh to provide overflight clearance. Is that likely to be forthcoming?
 
#9
I think the US will have something to say on this matter anyway?

We would not make the threat [against Iran] without the force to back it. There has been a recent move, a number of on-the-ground preparations, that indicate Israel's willingness to act,” said another official from Israel's intelligence community.

He added that it was unlikely that Israel would carry out the attack without receiving at least tacit approval from America, which has struck a more reconciliatory tone in dealing with Iran under its new administration.

An Israeli attack on Iran would entail flying over Jordanian and Iraqi airspace, where US forces have a strong presence.

Ephraim Kam the DD of NSS commented on the fact the US would'nt approve of the attack anyway as there unsure the attack would be successful
 
#10
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
They'll wait until after Iran's 'election' in June to see which way Iran is going.
They'll be waiting for Washington and/or Riyadh to provide overflight clearance. Is that likely to be forthcoming?
Not in a million years will they get it from D.C. It'll be via northern Saudi Arabia.
 
#11
parapauk said:
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
They'll wait until after Iran's 'election' in June to see which way Iran is going.
They'll be waiting for Washington and/or Riyadh to provide overflight clearance. Is that likely to be forthcoming?
Not in a million years will they get it from D.C. It'll be via northern Saudi Arabia.
And under what conditions do you think Riyadh will look the other way whilst IDF aircraft stream over their territory? Iran is a very different kettle of fish to Osirak.
 
#13
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
They'll wait until after Iran's 'election' in June to see which way Iran is going.
They'll be waiting for Washington and/or Riyadh to provide overflight clearance. Is that likely to be forthcoming?
Not in a million years will they get it from D.C. It'll be via northern Saudi Arabia.
And under what conditions do you think Riyadh will look the other way whilst IDF aircraft stream over their territory? Iran is a very different kettle of fish to Osirak.
I doubt it'll just be an overflight - they might even set up a FOB there. Saudi hates Iran, and won't have a problem letting the IDF through in exchange for Iran getting a kicking. They'd protest in public of course about the airspace violation, but that would be the end of the matter.
 
#14
parapauk said:
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
They'll wait until after Iran's 'election' in June to see which way Iran is going.
They'll be waiting for Washington and/or Riyadh to provide overflight clearance. Is that likely to be forthcoming?
Not in a million years will they get it from D.C. It'll be via northern Saudi Arabia.
And under what conditions do you think Riyadh will look the other way whilst IDF aircraft stream over their territory? Iran is a very different kettle of fish to Osirak.
I doubt it'll just be an overflight - they might even set up a FOB there. Saudi hates Iran, and won't have a problem letting the IDF through in exchange for Iran getting a kicking. They'd protest in public of course about the airspace violation, but that would be the end of the matter.
If that were the case, it would have happened already. Why hasn't it?
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
Er, time and time again, Shia and Suuni Extremist groups (okay, not necessarily including the Al Sauds, but they can be cordial if its for the common good - and both despise Israel) have co-operated if it serves a greater purpose against the kuffir.
 
#16
IIRC this EXACT story only with changed dates came out at the end of last year. Oh look, a flying pig.... :roll:

Israel may have a fecking silly foreign policy but striking Iran would not only united those Arab states currently opposed to its hardline strategy but literally set the MidEast in flames, as Israel would be attacked from North/East/South. Not even IDF could defend that much territory w/o going nuclear, and then we're in a sh1t sandwich.

But as its all speculation we can put the tin hats down now.
 
#17
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
whitecity said:
parapauk said:
They'll wait until after Iran's 'election' in June to see which way Iran is going.
They'll be waiting for Washington and/or Riyadh to provide overflight clearance. Is that likely to be forthcoming?
Not in a million years will they get it from D.C. It'll be via northern Saudi Arabia.
And under what conditions do you think Riyadh will look the other way whilst IDF aircraft stream over their territory? Iran is a very different kettle of fish to Osirak.
I doubt it'll just be an overflight - they might even set up a FOB there. Saudi hates Iran, and won't have a problem letting the IDF through in exchange for Iran getting a kicking. They'd protest in public of course about the airspace violation, but that would be the end of the matter.
If that were the case, it would have happened already. Why hasn't it?
The last US government stopped Israel but held out the prospect that they'd help them later down the line. The last Israeli government wasn't willing to go without the US. Neither is true today. Israel now faces a situation where either they do it themselves or nothing gets done.
 
#18
Jungelism said:
IIRC this EXACT story only with changed dates came out at the end of last year. Oh look, a flying pig.... :roll:
Last year????

It's trotted out every 4-5 weeks in the UK press...

A 2 second google produces pages and pages of stories from each newspaper

11 Dec 2005 : Israel readies forces for strike on nuclear Iran
7 Jan 2007 : Revealed: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran
21 Jun 2008 : Israel flexes muscles with 'Iran attack' drill
1 Sep 2008 : Dutch withdraw spy from Iran because of 'impending US attack'
4 Dec 2008 : Israel 'prepared to attack' Iran nuclear plants
 
#19
Jungelism said:
Israel may have a fecking silly foreign policy but striking Iran would not only united those Arab states currently opposed to its hardline strategy but literally set the MidEast in flames, as Israel would be attacked from North/East/South. Not even IDF could defend that much territory w/o going nuclear, and then we're in a sh1t sandwich.
You have not followed the latest row between Egypt and Iran than, have you?
In the last week, Egypt has moved against Iran and its allies in the Arab world. Cairo arrested a Hizballah cell that was preparing terrorist operations on Egyptian soil, organized a campaign against Hamas weapons and money smugglers in the Sinai Peninsula, and stepped up efforts to displace Qatar -- an Iranian sympathizer -- as a mediator on Sudan, Lebanon, and other inter-Arab issues. It remains to be seen whether this policy shift will become a sustained part of a grand strategy to restore Egypt's leadership among Arab states or, instead, a more-defensive approach designed to parry previous humiliations from Iran's allies. It is apparent, however, that Cairo is sending a signal to Washington that the "nuclear file" is not the only -- or even the most urgent -- aspect of the Iranian threat.
In late March, Morocco dramatically broke diplomatic relations with Iran, openly accusing it of supporting Shiite, Hizballah, and other subversive elements in the kingdom (including, according to several less public accounts, the anti-Moroccan Polisario guerrilla movement seeking independence for the Western Sahara). Bahrain vehemently protested against a statement by one Iranian official that suggested it was Iran's fourteenth province. Then, after the Doha Arab Summit two weeks ago, Egypt's semiofficial media voiced deep dismay about the refusal of this gathering to condemn Iranian meddling in Arab affairs. Jordan launched a further crackdown on Hamas, Hizballah, and other alleged agents of Iranian influence. From the perspective of these governments, Hizballah, far from being just a Lebanese movement, represents a clear and present danger that serves Iran's ambitions "from the Atlantic to the Gulf." And in Lebanon itself, with Hizballah projecting confidence about gains in the upcoming June 7 parliamentary election, the anti-Hizballah press has quickly seized on the Egyptian story to try and discredit the movement as a destructive Iranian proxy.
here
 
#20
parapauk said:
The last US government stopped Israel but held out the prospect that they'd help them later down the line. The last Israeli government wasn't willing to go without the US. Neither is true today. Israel now faces a situation where either they do it themselves or nothing gets done.
Tin foil hat off... :x
 

Latest Threads