Israel shoots down an unknown drone.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tuffy52, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kids, you can fly them via iPhone and the result, a scrambled F-16, better than 'knock a door run' we used play when kids!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'd imagine the drone to be of a decent size if they decided to shoot it down with jets rather than air-to-ground. There are quite a few states and non-government actors capable of launching drones from ships so there's a narrow field although not exactly a smoking gun.

Hell, it might even be the Yanks looking to find out if they're being told the God's Honest. Satellites are a bit obvious and far too easily trackable for deniable surveillance after all.

3. So then, the RSP's are going to 'do' Iran next week. :wink:

4. Unknown drone?

Are you sure it wasnt Tropper on a commercial flight telling war stories to the passenger in the next seat?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Didn't Iran claim recently to have their own drones?

6. The drone launched from Lebanon. It then flew in international airspace over the med before turning east over the Gaza Strip to disguise its provenance. It was being tracked from launch but only shot down when it got over a largely uninhabited forest for obvious reasons.

7. Could it be the Turks keeping an eye on what the Syrians are up to? Nowadays it could be anyone as the technology for the simplest of applications is relatively available, I mean even the local plod around our way are using drones for surveillance duties.

8. Well it launched and flew away from Syria the whole time so I would guess not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The ones Hezbollah have deployed of late were supposedly sourced to Iran, but how much of that is spin I couldn't say. The Iranians are certainly technically proficient enough to field them and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't give HB the fruits.

10. Hezbollah have launched drones in the past - not very good mind.

11. As I understand it from here, a military response was an option being weighed up by the govt / General Staff.

12. A bit late for that. They shot it down! I'd call that a military response dont you think?