Israel plans for war with Iran and Syria

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The conflict with Hezbollah has led to a strategic rethink in Israel. A key conclusion is that too much attention has been paid to Palestinian militants in Gaza and the West Bank instead of the two biggest state sponsors of terrorism in the region, who pose a far greater danger to Israel’s existence, defence insiders say.

“The challenge from Iran and Syria is now top of the Israeli defence agenda, higher than the Palestinian one,” said an Israeli defence source. Shortly before the war in Lebanon Major-General Eliezer Shkedi, the commander of the air force, was placed in charge of the “Iranian front”, a new position in the Israeli Defence Forces. His job will be to command any future strikes on Iran and Syria.

The Israeli defence establishment believes that Iran’s pursuit of a nuclear programme means war is likely to become unavoidable.

“In the past we prepared for a possible military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities,” said one insider, “but Iran’s growing confidence after the war in Lebanon means we have to prepare for a full-scale war, in which Syria will be an important player.”

A new infantry brigade has been formed named Kfir (lion cub), which will be the largest in the Israeli army. “It is a partial solution for the challenge of the Syrian commando brigades, which are considered better than Hezbollah’s,” a military source said.

article in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2340486,00.html

2. Well, the situation just seems to be becoming more and more unstable. Worrying times indeed.

For you guys that are interested, you can catch impartial info (i.e. a large number of sources) on events to do with Iran at:

http://www.tt-iraq.com/Default.aspx?nw=IRAN&pn=IRAN

Syria is being added this week, as are the Palestinian Territories and Hezbollah.

You'll note there's already coverage of Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran and Lebanon at:

http://www.tt-iraq.com

A political solution to all these problems looks a long way off at the moment.

3. Wouldn't the Isrealis need a bigger navy to wage war against Iran? A couple of carriers at least.

4. Well if it all happens I hope the Israelis have the capability to go nuclear straight away.

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I am sure the USS Nimitz will be avaliable when the time comes.

6. It's the only way of a sure fire victory for Israel and pardon me if I tread on any sensitivities here , but the Middle East is in bad need of working out who the Daddy is. The problem is that they better do it to Tehran before Tehran does it to them because as soon as the Iranians have the bomb, it'll be to late.

Ground wars don't work anymore, they are outdated and too expensive and as can be seen, they're not vote winners. Whats's needed here is a very quick outcome. Once done, everyone else will sit up and take notice.

Now perhaps you'll understand why I'm not a politician or a General and and at the same time thank your God for it.

Now, back to my knitting.