Israel passes Jewish state law, enshrining ‘national home of the Jewish people’

Nothing controversial there then!

'The Knesset overnight Wednesday-Thursday passed into law the contentious nation-state bill that for the first time enshrines Israel as “the national home of the Jewish people” in its quasi-constitutional Basic Laws. Lawmakers approved the bill in its second and third readings overnight, with 62 voting in favor, 55 opposed and two abstaining, after hours of heated debate in the Knesset chamber.'

'From the moment it was established, Israel granted its Jewish citizens privileges at the expense of Palestinians. The ‘nation-state bill’ reveals the choice Israelis have to make about the future of their country.'

How one law exposes what Israel has always tried to hide | +972 Magazine

Nothing controversial there then!

'The Knesset overnight Wednesday-Thursday passed into law the contentious nation-state bill that for the first time enshrines Israel as “the national home of the Jewish people” in its quasi-constitutional Basic Laws. Lawmakers approved the bill in its second and third readings overnight, with 62 voting in favor, 55 opposed and two abstaining, after hours of heated debate in the Knesset chamber.'

'From the moment it was established, Israel granted its Jewish citizens privileges at the expense of Palestinians. The ‘nation-state bill’ reveals the choice Israelis have to make about the future of their country.'

How one law exposes what Israel has always tried to hide | +972 Magazine
That all sounds very democratic to me. How very dare they.

Your first link is as informative as your second is pro Arab/anti-Jewish.
Trying to find a balance. Your observation is an interesting one though, as by this legislation it appears that 'Jews' and 'Israel' effectively become synonymous terms, so any criticism of the State of Israel becomes an attack on the Jewish people and religion (ergo, a 'hate crime'). This has already played out in the newspaper reader's pages in the UK over the past number of years, but could now turn perception into 'fact'.

1. Trying to find a balance.
2. Your observation is an interesting one though, as by this legislation it appears that 'Jews' and 'Israel' effectively become synonymous terms, so any criticism of the State of Israel becomes an attack on the Jewish people and religion (ergo, a 'hate crime'). This has already played out in the newspaper reader's pages in the UK over the past number of years, but could now turn perception into 'fact'.
1. Fully accept that.
2. Well, as it is their country and Nation, surely under the democratic nature of their country it is their choice isn't it? It's also a self preservation method which no sensible person can deny is warranted, despite Israel often shooting itself in the foot. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't also part of a plan to protect itself against a UN that increasingly appears to be pro Palestinian and anti-Israeli.

I also note there appears to be nothing much in there that seems to discriminate against non-Jews, apart from potentially giving Israel carte blanche to step up building on historically Palestinian land.

I also note there appears to be nothing much in there that seems to discriminate against non-Jews, apart from potentially giving Israel carte blanche to step up building on historically Palestinian land.
No, but if you start to join the dots, something less wholesome starts to emerge. I accept that this article is 'single source' and that the Turkish media doesn't have much to be proud of these days, but if true, is a worrying development.

'The Knesset (Israel’s parliament) on Tuesday approved the second and third readings of legislation that critics say will limit Palestinian access to the Israeli judicial system and pave the way for the “Judaization” of the Israeli-occupied West Bank. The controversial legislation, which was introduced by Israel’s right-wing Jewish Home party, was approved in a vote of 56 to 48. The law will effectively transfer jurisdiction over administrative issues related to the occupied West Bank from the Israeli Supreme Court to the Administrative Court in Jerusalem.'

Israel okays law limiting Palestinian access to courts

'EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini on Wednesday called on Israeli authorities to reconsider its decision to raze a Palestinian village of Khan al-Ahmar in the occupied West Bank. “The European Union expects the Israeli authorities to reconsider their decision to demolish Khan al-Ahmar, and to allow full and unimpeded access of humanitarian assistance to Palestinians in need, in line with its obligations as an occupying power under the international humanitarian law,” Mogherini said in a statement. Khan al-Ahmar, located in a “sensitive location” is of “strategic importance for preserving the contiguity of a future Palestinian state,” she noted.'

EU urges Israel to revisit plan to raze Khan al-Ahmar

Additionally, for interest sake, the author of the 2nd link I originally posted is a Jewish Iranian émigré.

From Iran to Israel: Translator Orly Noy

Last edited:
I forecast that this will end in tears.

Probably after the bullets, bombs and missiles.

'EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini on Wednesday called on Israeli authorities to reconsider its decision to raze a Palestinian village of Khan al-Ahmar in the occupied West Bank. “The European Union expects the Israeli authorities to reconsider their decision to demolish Khan al-Ahmar, and to allow full and unimpeded access of humanitarian assistance to Palestinians in need, in line with its obligations as an occupying power under the international humanitarian law,” Mogherini said in a statement. Khan al-Ahmar, located in a “sensitive location” is of “strategic importance for preserving the contiguity of a future Palestinian state,” she noted.'
My bold, never going to happen and just because the EU hopes and believes it may, the Israelis don't, won't and will not accept the argument. It is therefore pointless.

My bold, never going to happen and just because the EU hopes and believes it may, the Israelis don't, won't and will not accept the argument. It is therefore pointless.
I'm not sure the 'two-state solution' is dead in the minds of 'the Israelis' (at least not Arab Israelis), though that's pure speculation on my part.