Israel Ground Invasion of Gaza has Begun

If you were around there that long ago, did you happen to notice that there was no fence around Gaza and thousands of Gazans were coming and going every day to work in Israel? I lived through a good few years of that, both in the strip and nearby it. I would go with my employer, both of us unarmed, as he drove his faithful Gazan employee back home in the dark - through the alleyways and unlit streets. How times changed......
Yep, winter of 74/75. You could quite happily visit Gaza with no hassle at all. Shame the nutters took over.

At the risk of going slightly off track, another Arab story, a funny one.
In JHQ Rheindahlen the Garrison Transport Office, which was a civvy outfit had people from all over the place including one bloke from Marokko. Have forgotten his name so we'll call him Mo, a quiet reliable bloke. His language skills were minimal but good enough for government work. So one fine day Mo gets a task to go down to Wiesbaden (Uncle Sams Air Force) around 250 ks away. Off he trots and on arrival went to the Base Security Sqn just outside main gate, presents all the documents to get access. And gets told to do one. The Duty Brain Surgeon had found out where Mo comes from, the reaction went something along the lines of "Jeez a goddamn Ayrab". No amount of explanation, ID cards, military vehicle docs etc helped, Mos English probably didn't help much either, but there again our dearly beloved trans Atlantic allies don't speak English either. So a dischuffed Mo trogs off back to JHQ, where the management has a minor WTF moment. By pure chance I heard of that and explained that if they wanted a civvy driver I could go, being a reservist I had my F1250, therefore entry to the base should be no problem. The fact that I could smell a quick raid on the BX and commissary is of course a minor detail. My credit card suffered accordingly.

So none in October that triggered the latest round of rocket attacks. Thanks for clarifying that.
The latest round of rocket attacks was triggered by recent Israeli covert operation inside Gaza strip including use of tank. Do you suggest that the Palestinians should calmly wait for new and new raids, covert operations? No they (as Israel) have right for self defence and they launched the rockets. This scenario is very common. I mean this chain of events: informal (or semi-formal) ceasefire, Israeli raid, retaliation using missiles.
In my previous post I recalled the most typical case.

War must never be inevitable, even between Israel and Hamas | Opinion

Indeed, there were hopes to reach the cease-fire agreement but as I wrote previously, highly likely Israel was not interested in the cease-fire.
Which would also give you a clue as to why an Israeli recce team might have been in Gaza.
To make the cease-fire 'impossible'.

As you may see, Israel doesn't accept political solution for Gaza. But what is alternative? Military solution?

But how many times they were unprovoked attacks?

There is no alternative to ceasefire as a step toward long lasting peace and any special forces operations just undermine any prospects for peace.

This shit just goes right over your head, doesn't it? Much like the continual rocket and mortar attacks from Gaza despite calls for a ceasefire.

The latest round of rocket attacks was triggered by recent Israeli covert operation inside Gaza strip including use of tank. Do you suggest that the Palestinians should calmly wait for new and new raids, covert operations? No they (as Israel) have right for self defence and they launched the rockets. This scenario is very common. I mean this chain of events: informal (or semi-formal) ceasefire, Israeli raid, retaliation using missiles.
Covert use of a tank? That sounds interesting

Indeed it was a warmer and more enthusiastic conversation than I have had with any of the boxheads, bless 'em.
I think I've spotted your error. Bavaria, they're different, some might say speshul. The Bavarians do not discriminate, they dislike everyone in approximately equal proportions.

No it wasn't. The number of rocket attacks has been increasing since the middle of October.

Covert use of a tank? That sounds interesting
It was in the news.
Initially the operation was covert but Israeli agents in a civil car were spotted and during fire-fight the Israelis used tank fire to support their agents. As a result the Palestinians retaliated using missiles.

No it wasn't. The number of rocket attacks has been increasing since the middle of October.
What is your source? When exactly the attacks did happen (what day, days? What events had happened previously?

I think I've spotted your error. Bavaria, they're different, some might say speshul. The Bavarians do not discriminate, they dislike everyone in approximately equal proportions.
I visted many places in Bavaria. The last time they were Passau, Regenburg, Bamberg. Maybe Bavarians dislike everyone but most of them can skillfully hide it

What is your source? When exactly the attacks did happen (what day, days? What events had happened previously?
The heaviest concentrations of attacks were on the 17th and 27th of October but there were multiple other smaller attacks, some examples;

http://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy...rror-from-the-Gaza-Strip-17-October-2018.aspx

IDF strikes targets in Gaza after rocket hits Beersheba home

Six rocket salvos fired at Israel from Gaza, IDF strikes Strip in response

Hamas fires 30 rockets at Israel's south; IDF strikes 80 targets in Gaza

Why would I list 'what events had happened previously', you are the one claiming the rocket fire is 'provoked', why don't you explain what 'provoked' them?

Interesting. Do non-Bavarian boxheads hold this opinion too?

Latest Threads