Israel Ground Invasion of Gaza has Begun

There are a lot of good people in Gaza who just want to get on with their lives and are usually friendly and hard working. Unfortunately they are held hostage by a brutal Islamist terrorist organization, the political infighting and corruption of so called "Palestinian" society and the cultural issues that characterize many Arab societies - women being chattels, tribal and clan mentality etc etc.
Personally I had plenty of good experiences with the people there, including during my army service.

Sadly many if not most people forget/ignore the fact that Israel moved out of Gaza totally in 2005, actually using its own forces to move over 8,000 Jewish settlers who had wanted to stay there. The thanks they got was an ever increasing number of attacks from Gaza funded by the usual fundamental suspects in other Muslim countries. Whose main desire is to eliminate Israel & exterminate its people. Shadow of Israel's pullout from Gaza hangs heavy 10 years on | Reuters
snip "It would, said then prime minister Ariel Sharon, a former major-general not given to self-doubt, “grant Israeli citizens the maximum level of security”. Other optimists said it would turn Gaza into the Hong Kong of the Middle East
Within Gaza itself, there is nothing to debate: the past 10 years were an unmitigated catastrophe. In that time, its 1.8 million residents have endured a civil war between Palestinian factions and four wars and thousands of rocket attacks & incursions into Israel.

Highly likely Israeli raids as in this case.
. . . and nothing to do with the shadowy hand of Putin's disinformation and agitprop, of which your contributions are an excellent example.

You and your kind are typical of the morose and negative Putin-think: why should we bother to raise our international profile and standing to that of a forward looking and democratic society when it is far easier to drag everyone else down to our bitter and mean spirited level?

. . . and nothing to do with the shadowy hand of Putin's disinformation and agitprop, of which your contributions are an excellent example.

You and your kind are typical of the morose and negative Putin-think: why should we bother to raise our international profile and standing to that of a forward looking and democratic society when it is far easier to drag everyone else down to our bitter and mean spirited level?
Israeli official on cease-fire report: Only developments on the ground will determine Israeli reaction
Israel and Palestinian factions agreed to a cease-fire in Gaza at Egypt's request, broadcaster Al Jazeera reported Tuesday after three days of hostilities between Israel and the Palestinians.

An Israeli official said following news that a cease-fire has been reached that "Israel reserves its freedom to operate."

The official added that "requests by Hamas to form a cease-fire came from four different mediators. Israel responded that developments on the ground will determine [the Israeli reaction]."
As you may see Israel agreed on cease-fire with own right to violate it.
It is an absurd.

Gaza has been of occasional interest to me.

Why/how the present situation exists/persists . . . The lost opportunities that it represents . . .

It helped to put things into perspective when I found the attached map.

How such a seething mass of malevolent hostility can be distilled into such a (comparatively) small area, is remarkable . . . :( .

View attachment 361448

GAZA SIZE COMPARISON - Google Search:

As a reminder . . .

View attachment 361449

Gaza Strip - Wikipedia
Thing is, Israel is only slightly larger than Wales.

Which rather gives an insight into why any war is a war of national survival.

IDF women tend to be a bit tidier than the ones I see in Welsh regiments as well...
20181113_201410.png

They're will never be a solution to the problem between Palestinians and the State of Israel.

Israel have shown restraint that I doubt any nation with a major military force in the world would show in the face of attacks shown this past year.. from the balloon fires to the large scale rocket and mortar attacks across the border purposefully targeting their civilian citizens.

I'm off the opinion that Gaza should be pushed into the Mediterranean to simply end the threat from that quarter against the Israeli population.

I suspect that if the IDF bulldozed Gaza into the Mediterranean Sea lock, stock and barrel, there would be few tears shed anywhere outside the UK Labour Party.
You'd be surprised how few in the Arab world would care.

I think if you look at most of Israel's forces, they have a reputation for their officers to "lead from the front".
I have no doubt. I'm just questioning the wisdom of getting someone with a lot of knowledge of plans, TTPs and all that gubbins in a place where he could be lifted by the enemy. Imagine the propaganda if he'd been captured nevermind what he might reveal under torture.
Speculation in my part, but I wonder if this was something everyone thought was sewn up until it started to unravel.

Looking at the link in RCT(V)s post I notice that Israel supplies Gaza with water and electricity.
So what does Israel get in return? Maybe somebody should tell the Gaza residents "thou shalt not bite the hand that feeds".

Looking at the link in RCT(V)s post I notice that Israel supplies Gaza with water and electricity.
So what does Israel get in return? Maybe somebody should tell the Gaza residents "thou shalt not bite the hand that feeds".
The 'big victory' for Hamas in the last ding dong was damaging the Israeli power station that supplied...err Gaza.

There are a lot of good people in Gaza who just want to get on with their lives and are usually friendly and hard working. Unfortunately they are held hostage by a brutal Islamist terrorist organization, the political infighting and corruption of so called "Palestinian" society and the cultural issues that characterize many Arab societies - women being chattels, tribal and clan mentality etc etc.
Personally I had plenty of good experiences with the people there, including during my army service.
Adding to your post, many years ago in school there were a few Arabs from Lebanon who were definitely ok. Many years later at the Bisley Skill at Arms Meet there was a team from the UAE, nice blokes, one of whom fired his Steyr Aug left handed, no dramas though, the empties bounced of his beard! Last but not least I had some Arab neighbours who were more talkative and friendlier than some of the Germans. So they're not all shouty, mouthy, shooty types. They just happen to have their unfair share of a**seholes.

More years ago than I care to remember, I spent 5 months at Kibbutz Zikim. They had some lads from Gaza doing some building work for them. Nice blokes mostly.

Adding to your post, many years ago in school there were a few Arabs from Lebanon who were definitely ok. Many years later at the Bisley Skill at Arms Meet there was a team from the UAE, nice blokes, one of whom fired his Steyr Aug left handed, no dramas though, the empties bounced of his beard! Last but not least I had some Arab neighbours who were more talkative and friendlier than some of the Germans. So they're not all shouty, mouthy, shooty types. They just happen to have their unfair share of a**seholes.
I recently had a nice experience in Bavaria. I bought a felafel at a kiosk in a town pedestrian shopping precinct - the kiosk was adorned with writing in Arabic and German. When the guy handed me my felafel I thanked him in Arabic yislammu ideyk. He asked me where I'm from. I said quds (Jerusalem). He cottoned on straight away I meant Israel and became quite emotional, telling me he is 2nd generation Palestinian and about family he still has there and how he has not problem at all with Jews. The irony of it was that here were two people - an Israeli and a Palestinian - meeting by chance in a foreign land, feeling a mutual affinity. Indeed it was a warmer and more enthusiastic conversation than I have had with any of the boxheads, bless 'em.

Last edited:
Which 'Israeli raids' were these? Hamas haven't mentioned any Israeli raids before Sunday.
Let's recall this famous ceasefire in Gaza
2008 Israel–Hamas ceasefire - Wikipedia
The 2008 Israel–Hamas ceasefire was an Egyptian-brokered six-month Tahdia (an Arabic term for a lull) "for the Gaza area", which went into effect between Hamas and Israel on 19 June 2008.[2] According to the Egyptian-brokered agreement, Israel promised to halt air strikes and other attacks, while in return, there would not be rocket attacks on Israel from Gaza. Once the ceasefire held, Israel was to gradually begin to ease its blockade of Gaza.[2]
During the initial week of the ceasefire, Islamic Jihad militants fired rockets on Israel. Under pressure from Hamas, Islamic Jihad had agreed to abide by the temporary truce, which was meant to apply only to Gaza
But instead of 6 month, the ceasefire lasted only 4.5 months
On 4 November 2008, Israel raided Gaza, killing six Hamas militants. The Israeli military claimed the target of the raid was a tunnel that they said Hamas was planning to use to capture Israeli soldiers positioned on the border fence 250m away.[10] Hamas officials claimed that the tunnel was being dug for defensive purposes. Hamas replied to the Israeli attack with a barrage of rocket fire. On December 20, Hamas announced it would not renew the ceasefire. Operation Cast Lead commenced on 27 December 2008.
So Israel promised not to conduct any raids and didn't hold its word.

Last edited:
More years ago than I care to remember, I spent 5 months at Kibbutz Zikim. They had some lads from Gaza doing some building work for them. Nice blokes mostly.
If you were around there that long ago, did you happen to notice that there was no fence around Gaza and thousands of Gazans were coming and going every day to work in Israel? I lived through a good few years of that, both in the strip and nearby it. I would go with my employer, both of us unarmed, as he drove his faithful Gazan employee back home in the dark - through the alleyways and unlit streets. How times changed......

Latest Threads