Israel backed by army of cyber-soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Jul 28, 2006.

?
  1. No match for T Atkins and his/her keyboard!

13.2%
  2. An interesting example of the cohesiveness of Israeli society

13.2%
  3. Counterproductive due to quality of staff

13.2%
  4. Provides a much need counterpoint

15.8%
  5. They should be in uniform and at the front not on the net

13.2%
  6. More articulate than most ARRSERS

5.3%
  7. A typical Israeli overreaction

26.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Israel backed by army of cyber-soldiers
    From Yonit Farago in Jerusalem

WHILE Israel fights Hezbollah with tanks and aircraft, its supporters are campaigning on the internet.

Israel’s Government has thrown its weight behind efforts by supporters to counter what it believes to be negative bias and a tide of pro-Arab propaganda. The Foreign Ministry has ordered trainee diplomats to track websites and chatrooms so that networks of US and European groups with hundreds of thousands of Jewish activists can place supportive messages.

In the past week nearly 5,000 members of the World Union of Jewish Students (WUJS) have downloaded special “megaphone” software that alerts them to anti-Israeli chatrooms or internet polls to enable them to post contrary viewpoints. A student team in Jerusalem combs the web in a host of different languages to flag the sites so that those who have signed up can influence an opinion survey or the course of a debate.

Jonny Cline, of the international student group, said that Jewish students and youth groups with their understanding of the web environment were ideally placed to present another side to the debate.

“We’re saying to these people that if Israel is being bashed, don’t ignore it, change it,” Mr Cline said. “A poll like CNN’s takes just a few seconds to vote in, but if thousands take part the outcome will be changed. What’s vital is that the international face of the conflict is balanced.”

Doron Barkat, 29, in Jerusalem, spends long nights trawling the web to try to swing the debate Israel’s way. “When I see internet polls for or against Israel I send out a mailing list to vote for Israel,” he said. “It can be that after 15 minutes there will be 400 votes for Israel.

“It’s very satisfying. There are also forums where Lebanese and Israelis talk.”

Israel’s Foreign Ministry must avoid direct involvement with the campaign but is in contact with international Jewish and evangelical Christian groups, distributing internet information packs.

Amir Gissin, the Israeli Foreign Ministry’s public relations director, said: “The internet’s become a leading tool for news, shaping the world view of millions. Our problem is the foreign media shows Lebanese suffering, but not Israeli. We’re bypassing that filter by distributing pictures showing how northern Israelis suffer from Katyusha rocket attacks.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2289232,00.html

Has anyone used this 'megaphone' soft ware? Apart from Mora that is.

2. They're hoping to change my mind by telling me how wrong I am? Which genius thought of that plan? :?

3. Provides a much needed counterpoint.

the BBC especially is far too one sided, putting on the sad "bart's people" voice when reporting from the lebenese side.

Pretty soon they'll be playing the evil empire star wars music everytime the IDF are on screen.

Although i do think the IDF should be targeting only hezbollah and not the lebenese infrastructure. I dont subscribe to the belief they eat arab babies and the poor unfortunate arabs dont bring it on themselves by being murderous fundamentalist nutcases

I dont think there is anything isreal can do to earn a lasting peace with its neighbours who are commited to destroying isreal.

4. Just watching the BBC World TV Service.
    Now I had forgot this one, not had a good argument on it for a couple of years.
    Their Reporter was making the following point, so please excuse me for my interpratation.
    For Christ to cum again and sort out the world acording to Gods Plan first, The Jewish state must be established in Jeruselam.
    Then Jeruselm must fall.
    Then the Second cumming.
    They showed one of these extream Christian movements in the states and they Claim that these communities have more influence over Republican Party politics then the Jewish Lobby.
    These are the people who King George owes his loyalty to and who enabled him take the Mid West Bible belt.
    So the plan is there for all ta see.
    Isreal becums fully established in Jeruselem. Then it must and will Fall. Then Christ cums and happy times alround.
    john
    For it has been written and so will be.
    Except for us Buddhists.

5. I think that Israel can do it. It can recognize 1967 borders.

Edit to add. 20 years ago I worked as a lecturer in the Moscow Pedagogical Institute. My students (almost all female students) were future teachers of mathematics. There were many young Jewish ladies and most of them were clever and sharp-minded. However, some were among the weakest students.

PS. Our friend Mora could be a member of Hamas/Hezbollah/Al Qaeda as well.

6. Work this one up jon. I can see a Hollywood block buster just around the corner.

7. Sergey WTF are you talking about? For the first time ever I find myself in agreement with mora. You have done this site a grave disservice :)

8. History done properly is about analysis. Those who practise it professionally try to avoid letting feeling dictate what is said. Because stories about the past told with "natural feeling" risk being no more than myth.

No one doubts your commitment or the strength of your beliefs. The trouble is that you are incapable of sifting proof from chaff and you cannot formulate an argument.

9. Depends who you talk to. A lot of UK Muslims think the BBC is anti-Arab and only Channel 4 is reliable.

10. BBC current affairs reporting is becoming a joke, dumbed down and reflecting a political bias second only to Al Jazeera. Would agree that Channel 4 sometimes gets it right but even so, impartiality in broadcasting seems to be a lost art.

As for the cyber warriors... why don't the Lebanese just borrow Dr Who from the BBC?

11. Mora!

I would like to make it clear. Yes, I'm professional matematician (PhDr). Nothing wrong with female students. Btw, my daughter 18 is among the best students in Moscow state Juridicial academy.

According to my experience an intellectual level of Jewish students is visibly higher that average one. I still remember one - ms.Levina was very cute, sharp-minded and helped me with another ... Jewish student that was incredibly ... how to say it ... she hadn't mathematical style of thinking and it is not a tragedy at all. My wife (a former officer of KGB) along with my daughter hate mathematics.

You are not bad at all, rather funny. It is not a negative view. I propose you to follow instruction by PartTimePongo. They are fair.

12. Totally agree.

Herein lies the actual problem. Also, how do you make peace with people who cant even stop killing each other let alone their avowed enemy? At best Israel can only hope for a 'status quo' position.

13. Dear Xenophon!

In the context of this thread basing on own experience I made a remark about intellectual level of Jewish students that I taught. The mean value of the level is very high but (using mathematical terminology) a dispersion is very high too. By contrast intellectual abilities of my Russian students were lower but more uniform (in other words dispersion was low).

As for Hamas/Hezbollah/Al Qaeda remark then Moslem "cyber-soldier' could present himself as a supporter of Israel. Why not?

I'm not a native English speaker. Do you mean: 'You have done a grave disservice to this site'?

because I haven't done this site, I'm even not a sponsor of this site.

14. If I remember the Status Quo position correctly, they used to bash out their 3 chords while standing with feet apart and knees slightly bent - for all the world like they'd got a terminal STD.....!