Isotonic/Electrolyte Drinks... do you feel any benefit?

Some will be familiar with civvie brands like Lucozade bottles which cost over a quid or the powdered sachets in rat packs, the question is have you ever felt any benefit in performance or recovery during exercise or intensive workouts?

Yes, very much so. I was working in 100F heat about 8 weeks ago with my mate on a decking project. I was drinking water, it wasn't doing the job. He had "Propel", and gave me a bottle. Made a big difference.

Same for Gatorade, it was specifically designed to rehydrate the university of Florida's football team by some of the scientists at the university. Propel being owned by Gatorade, similar idea, but without the sweet taste of Gatorade.

Yes. Flat coca cola on ultras. Needs to be full fat coke...... and flat! Also need to learn when to take it. Ballsed up once taking it too late.

Also always used sachets of diarolyte on long tabs on the hills, especially in the summer.

Apart from that, just water for me.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You can get some great tooth erosion from some of these sports drinks.

I used 50%pure OJ/50% water with a bit of salt in it if I was feeling particularly flash.

You can get some great tooth erosion from some of these sports drinks.

Whats the instant hit solution then….since the new irn bru aint cutting it for me and ice cold lucozade tastes like sugar…..
Whisky isn't a option due to well obvious reasons

Whats the instant hit solution then….since the new irn bru aint cutting it for me and ice cold lucozade tastes like sugar…..
Rum? :p
Diarolyte would be my go to if I wasn't just a civvy desk jockey nowadays.

Erdinger market their alcohol free beer as isotonic and vitamin rich. I'm not sure that necking pints of alcohol free weissbier is what was intended though.

Half strength Berocca. Two tabs in about a litre of water and a pinch of salt.

Isostar was good. Not sure if it is still around but I used to get a container of the dry powder and either make up he drink with water or carry the powder in a ziplok bag, then add the water to that as required. I think one bag leaked or split though. Another vote for orange juice and water with very little salt. It shouldn't taste like seawater.

There's two versions I think. The wheat beer was claimed to be isotonic. Was the clear one isotonic as well?
No idea, we don't get that one round my way. The weissbier version is the one with blue ribbons, looks like this:

Tastes pretty good if you haven't had the real version recently.

Agree about Isostar. After a shift working outdoors in the middle east, a pint of mix would perk me up within 10 minutes, after feeling washed out and lethargic.

High 5 zero Tablets

useful as a tube of 20 tablets is easy to keep/carry and drop into a water bottle

drinking this at night entirely stopped headaches and leg pains/cramps I was getting after long days in the sun.

High 5 zero Tablets
The benefit of those being that they contain no sugar so you can happily swig the resulting drink all day without your teeth feeling like they've been covered in syrup.

Erdinger market their alcohol free beer as isotonic and vitamin rich. I'm not sure that necking pints of alcohol free weissbier is what was intended though.
Was a study in late 1990s about beer as a post workout rehdration drink, and they came to the conclusion that a little of good quality low strength (2%) beer was better than litre of water for two reasons - it was easier to drink, and the minerals and salts helped keep the water inside you rather than flush staright back out., My gym in late 90s had a bar, and always felt better with a post workout pint of kronenburg. Can't remember last time saw a licensed bar in a gym.