isotonic drinks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by barbarasson, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm training for a distance rowing event at the moment. I'm doing 70k + per week on ergos and am, frankly, getting sick of lucozade. does anyone have any recommendations for a sports drink that is better suited for c. 2hr sessions, or that simply tastes less sickly?
  2. i like the taste of isostar orange. its also a definite performance enhancer on bike. but i cant drink while running so thats all i can base it on.
  3. This stuff SIS PSP22, is the shiznizzle as far as I'm concerned, you can get it from good running shops, nutrition stores, bike shops etc. Its got all the sugars you need, plus salts etc which stop you flaking. I'm no chemist, but it got me round a reasonably tough marathon (and all the training beforehand) on a hot day in three and a half hours.
    They also do energy gels, carbo loading/regenerating drinks, and protein powders.
    It also tastes nice.
  4. Personal favourite is Powerade, Gatorade a close second. Neither tastes as sickly as Lucozade Sport.

Various other suggestions - Maxim, Hi-5, Isostar. Some of which suddenly became a pain to get about a year ago, from having been available off-the-shelf in Tescos/Sainsburys until then. The tablet-form Isostar is brilliant, if you're travelling to competitions. Having a tub of drinks powder burst in your luggage is a messy business; thankyou, Heathrow baggage handlers.

Note that there are also "energy drinks" which are trying to dump carbohydrate into your system as well as rehydrating it. Not the best if your exercise program is intended to take weight off...

Reminder on the "sports drink" front. The manufacturers are selling a "lifestyle product" for the most part; namely something that tastes bearable for the "sports walts" who think that by buying Lucozade, that they're being just like Owens / Beckham / Rooney. A "proper" isotonic drink tastes like sh*t - try Dioralyte if you don't believe me. Or Screech. Yes, folks, the Army has had us all on isotonic drinks since before we knew they even existed :roll:

Minor point for the drinks spotters. "Sports drinks" are made up to different recipes in different countries, even within Europe, although they may have the same wrapper / labelling. For some reason, Powerade in Italy has about 50% higher calorific content than Powerade in UK; ditto Gatorade.
  5. Thanks for the gen. This really is a different things working for different people thing. My prob is that my current routine is getting up and doing 10k, or so, straight away, so I need the 'energy' as well at 0600. My only real use outside of lucozade is the powerbar orange drink, which was gopping. If lucozade sport tasted like their 'recovery drink' that would be fine.
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An other thing to consider if you are taking lots of sports drinks is that they can erode your teeth! Not as quickly as fizzy stuff but it can still happen quite rapidly if proper precautions are not taken.
  7. that's the benefit of training before breakfast, teeth brushed asap! also its only a pint a day, but generally yes.
  8. SIS is what most professional sports people use. In the premiership they put it in Lucozade bottles!
  9. Make your own... costs less & you can make it any flavour & strength you want!
    you need:
    Squash...any flavour.
    Glucose powder - available in most chemists/supermarkets & such places as Holland & barratts. (in simple terms - glucose is broken down into glycogen & then is stored in the body as Carbs which will give you the endurance you need) Its also really good to add to food & drink if you have been ill etc, gives your body that extra boost.
    if you wanna add stuff like Protein, Creatine, L carnitine, minerals or electrolytes you can.

Just MIX it up!

just gotta experiment & see what works & what tastes good?! just an idea!

have you tried the energy gels...they are ok...just eat/consume it & wash down with some water.
  10. [​IMG]
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Isostar Lemon is less sickly than the Orange flavour. It works.

You can buy it in a tin in Holland & Barratt Health shops to make up to whatever your preferred strength.

SIS PSP is good stuff but not so widely available.Lots of cyclists seem to swear by it.

Don't bother with Gatorade though :)

I've also tried some of the gels but they make you heave if you don't wash them down with plain water.....

Le Chevre
  12. I prefer Powerade. It comes in three flavours, but grapefruit has a nice kick to it.
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Aye, but unless at the correct strength, it is no longer isotonic.

this also applies to other home made recipes.
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yah...correct,understood, thanks Doc... SOBO ;-)

I've also read that if you can't be faffed with powders and made-up expensive potions you can add a couple of Imperial fluid ounces of honest-to-God Orange Juice to yer running bottle and your body will more readily absorb the hydration, together with some easily converted fruit take yer pick.

At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you ( and I'm almost sure there's a degree of placebo effect kicking in too). Dried apricots/Cadbury's Fruit&Nut and Isostar do it for me but it's horses for courses really.

Loads of advice on hydration/nutrition from a reputable source at

Le Chevre