isotonic drinks

I'm training for a distance rowing event at the moment. I'm doing 70k + per week on ergos and am, frankly, getting sick of lucozade. does anyone have any recommendations for a sports drink that is better suited for c. 2hr sessions, or that simply tastes less sickly?

This stuff SIS PSP22, is the shiznizzle as far as I'm concerned, you can get it from good running shops, nutrition stores, bike shops etc. Its got all the sugars you need, plus salts etc which stop you flaking. I'm no chemist, but it got me round a reasonably tough marathon (and all the training beforehand) on a hot day in three and a half hours.
They also do energy gels, carbo loading/regenerating drinks, and protein powders.
It also tastes nice.

barbarasson said:
I'm training for a distance rowing event at the moment. I'm doing 70k + per week on ergos and am, frankly, getting sick of lucozade. does anyone have any recommendations for a sports drink that is better suited for c. 2hr sessions, or that simply tastes less sickly?
Personal favourite is Powerade, Gatorade a close second. Neither tastes as sickly as Lucozade Sport.

Various other suggestions - Maxim, Hi-5, Isostar. Some of which suddenly became a pain to get about a year ago, from having been available off-the-shelf in Tescos/Sainsburys until then. The tablet-form Isostar is brilliant, if you're travelling to competitions. Having a tub of drinks powder burst in your luggage is a messy business; thankyou, Heathrow baggage handlers.

Note that there are also "energy drinks" which are trying to dump carbohydrate into your system as well as rehydrating it. Not the best if your exercise program is intended to take weight off...

Reminder on the "sports drink" front. The manufacturers are selling a "lifestyle product" for the most part; namely something that tastes bearable for the "sports walts" who think that by buying Lucozade, that they're being just like Owens / Beckham / Rooney. A "proper" isotonic drink tastes like sh*t - try Dioralyte if you don't believe me. Or Screech. Yes, folks, the Army has had us all on isotonic drinks since before we knew they even existed :roll:

Minor point for the drinks spotters. "Sports drinks" are made up to different recipes in different countries, even within Europe, although they may have the same wrapper / labelling. For some reason, Powerade in Italy has about 50% higher calorific content than Powerade in UK; ditto Gatorade.

Thanks for the gen. This really is a different things working for different people thing. My prob is that my current routine is getting up and doing 10k, or so, straight away, so I need the 'energy' as well at 0600. My only real use outside of lucozade is the powerbar orange drink, which was gopping. If lucozade sport tasted like their 'recovery drink' that would be fine.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
An other thing to consider if you are taking lots of sports drinks is that they can erode your teeth! Not as quickly as fizzy stuff but it can still happen quite rapidly if proper precautions are not taken.

Make your own... costs less & you can make it any flavour & strength you want!
you need:
Squash...any flavour.
Glucose powder - available in most chemists/supermarkets & such places as Holland & barratts. (in simple terms - glucose is broken down into glycogen & then is stored in the body as Carbs which will give you the endurance you need) Its also really good to add to food & drink if you have been ill etc, gives your body that extra boost.
if you wanna add stuff like Protein, Creatine, L carnitine, minerals or electrolytes you can.

Just MIX it up!

just gotta experiment & see what works & what tastes good?! just an idea!

have you tried the energy gels...they are ok...just eat/consume it & wash down with some water.

barbarasson said:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Isostar Lemon is less sickly than the Orange flavour. It works.

You can buy it in a tin in Holland & Barratt Health shops to make up to whatever your preferred strength.

SIS PSP is good stuff but not so widely available.Lots of cyclists seem to swear by it.

Don't bother with Gatorade though :)

I've also tried some of the gels but they make you heave if you don't wash them down with plain water.....

Le Chevre

I prefer Powerade. It comes in three flavours, but grapefruit has a nice kick to it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Goatman said:
You can buy it in a tin in Holland & Barratt Helath shops to make up to whatever your preferred strength.
Aye, but unless at the correct strength, it is no longer isotonic.

this also applies to other home made recipes.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fang_Farrier said:
Goatman said:
You can buy it in a tin in Holland & Barratt Helath shops to make up to whatever your preferred strength.
Aye, but unless at the correct strength, it is no longer isotonic.

this also applies to other home made recipes.
Yah...correct,understood, thanks Doc... SOBO ;-)

I've also read that if you can't be faffed with powders and made-up expensive potions you can add a couple of Imperial fluid ounces of honest-to-God Orange Juice to yer running bottle and your body will more readily absorb the hydration, together with some easily converted fruit sugars......so take yer pick.

At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you ( and I'm almost sure there's a degree of placebo effect kicking in too). Dried apricots/Cadbury's Fruit&Nut and Isostar do it for me but it's horses for courses really.

Loads of advice on hydration/nutrition from a reputable source at www.runnersworld.co.uk

Le Chevre

Rat Pac "screech" (Orange and lemon powder)

Keep you buzzing for days!!!

Goatman said:
I've also read that if you can't be faffed with powders and made-up expensive potions you can add a couple of Imperial fluid ounces of honest-to-God Orange Juice to yer running bottle and your body will more readily absorb the hydration, together with some easily converted fruit sugars......so take yer pick.
Yup. Went to a "sports science seminar" as part of preparation for a competition in a hot and humid place. One of the erudite chaps put up all sorts of slides that showed the most effective way to rehydrate (another did a presentation on heat acclimation strategies, another did slides on how shit you perform when even slightly dehydrated).

IIRC isotonic was about right, slightly hypotonic (a little bit weaker) was best. Water didn't do as well because more of it went through you rather than being absorbed by you; and sweet drinks (full-strength Pepsi et al) actually dehydrated you, as osmosis did its wonderful thing by drawing off already-scarce liquid from your body in order to even out the balance, and absorb all of the sugars in the rather concentrated liquid.

Isotonic, by the way, just means "at the same level of concentration as the fluids in your body". Which, given that we're about 70% water by weight IIRC, is rather weak. The problem with a truly isotonic, fluid replacement drink, is that it tastes sh*t. (See Dioralyte). However, when you're low on salts, salty foods tast better. In other words, when Dioralyte tastes good, you're in a bad way.

End of the day, that ancient maxim still holds. Drink until your urine is clear (or even straw coloured). Also, anyone that says that you can somehow "train so that you need less water" is talking dangerous shite, and should be regarded as ignorant or sadly misinformed.

Apparently they ended up issuing "urine colour" charts to Olympic athletes after the boxers conked out in in the GB preparation camp in Tallahassee pre-1996, and I've been on one trip where we got weighed every morning to track our hydration.

There are a lot of urban myths surrounding drinks and their hydrating (or dehydrating) effects. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration. Anything else, including tea, juice, milk and caffeinated fizzy drinks provide about the same amount of hydrating fluid as water.

Booty said:
There are a lot of urban myths surrounding drinks and their hydrating (or dehydrating) effects. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration. Anything else, including tea, juice, milk and caffeinated fizzy drinks provide about the same amount of hydrating fluid as water.
Not sure that your last sentence is strictly true. As im pretty sure that tea, Coffee & cafinated pop will almost certainly induce dehydration & will have detrimental effects upon exercise just as much as dehydration from alcohol, however Cafeine can be useful & studies have shown that it may have an effect upon increased metabolism of fat.
There is no real subsitute for replenishing fluid levels in the body than good ol' water! & if taking part in some kind of endurance sport then fluid with isotonic effect would be preferable. However considoration for preping the body with the right fuel would be a good starting point. H2O at 4 degrees C is absorbed by the body most efficiently - not that anyone would bother making sure this was the case!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
re wot Booty an' Spinarella said - the reason tea dehydrates you is that it is a Dai Your Eee Tick - makes you pee more!
( That said a mate of mine who runs sub-four marathons (git) starts every race - including the Flora London - with a big dark cuppa PG Tips with four sugars :lol: )

Most people in this country go through their lives being slightly dehydrated without realising it....drinking more water helps your skin, keeps the blood the right thickness, makes you less tetchy and aids kidney function ( now where's that tap !)

Le Chevre