Isotonic drinks on op tours

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by philarmy, Apr 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am deploying on Op TELIC 10 and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get reasonably priced sachets of isotonic drinks.

I was on Op TELIC 5 and spent a lot of time with the Yanks. In their Dining Facility you could freely collect bottles and sachets of Gatorade.

I would love to be able to take some sachets with me this time and maybe have some sent out too. Obviously the size an weight of the bottles do not lend themselves to this. Does anyone know a good place to get them from?

It is a crying shame that our government do not see fit to supply us with isotonic drinks given their benefits in the environment in which we are expected to operate. It would also be beneficial if they were freely available back at camp, especially after exercise such as PT, CFTs etc.

Also, does anyone know if hpertonic/hypotonic drinks are any more beneficial?
  2. if you want large quantities, cheap, then the best source is called Lectade - from farm suppliers, electrolyte powder for cattle.

I shite you not! Its the same stuff...

Tastes rather awful, but mixed in with some cheap blackcurrant squash or screech its the dogs nads.

Otherwise -

3. Water is the only source of fluid the human body needs to thrive.
  4. msr

msr LE

Just drink water - the rest of your dietary requirements will come from the food - for free ;)

5. cheap rehydrate liquid.

2l pop bottle filled with water. measure one capfull of salt and the same of sugar, pour into water and shake. allow the salt a little time to dissolve, shake and there you have it.

add some squash or lemon juice to taste.

This is pretty much what you pay £1 for in isotonic drinks.
  6. Urinate into your own mouth. Or get someone to lag on you instead.
  7. I was on Op telic 8 and we were issued isotonic drinks, admittedly it was only around 10 sachets during the whole tour.
  8. What's wrong with screech?
  9. msr

msr LE

No need to add salt - it just raises your blood pressure.

10. You can't have an isotonic drink without some form of salt.

Hardly a Naafi bar topic is it really?
  11. They've been doing it for over thirty years, it's called screech. Perfectly adequate, and totally free.

Take msr's advice, and you won't go far wrong.

Remember this - "sports drinks" are mostly sold to people who are not performance athletes; the companies are selling them to make a profit, not to provide an effective rehydration drink for extreme physical exertion in heat/humidity. The cup next to the chair at Wimbledon may say "Coca-Cola", but you can bet that the contents aren't.

A real rehydration solution tastes like Dioralyte, i.e. shite unless you're desperate. But if they did that, they wouldn't be able to sell it to housewives doing aerobics, hence Lucozade Sport / Powerade.

Screech and Isostar are good, and the tablet form of Isostar is spot on. Beware - some of the commercial drinks add caffeine, and that's not always a good thing...

But! I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to post / carry / stick in an MFO box enough of the stuff for a tour. So, don't bother.

It depends. I went to a sports science seminar a few years ago on the subject of performancce in heat & humidity, one of the lecturers was from the US Army research labs at Fort Natick.

Several interesting facts:
    1- you can speed up your heat acclimation, but you can't change your body's use of fluid. Anyone who claims that "you can train to use less fluids" is talking dangerous shite, and should be re-educated with a pick helve.

2- Drink fluids until your urine is clear (ish). You'll find that sports scientists are ever ready to hand out colour charts in yellow that tell you how dehydrated you are; from "you're fine" to "drink now, or risk fcuking up your kidneys permanently" (it happened to a flatmate of mine; kidneys damaged for life at age 22).

3- Being dehydrated severely affects your endurance. They put a pile of athletes onto treadmills, compared performance vs. dehydration, and the results were impressive. If you are even 1% dehydrated (and that can be done in 3/4 hour in a UK gym in a t-shirt, let alone combats, PLCE, and 40C) then watch your stamina / speed go bye-bye.

4- The whole hypertonic/isotonic/hypotonic thing basically means that the liquid concerned is a more/as/less concentrated solution than the fluids in your body. This affects how quickly your body can absorb fluids.
    - They recommended slightly hypotonic fluids (weaker solution) for the most rapid rehydration.
    - Plain water works, but not as quickly or efficiently - you end up passing some of it straight through before it's been absorbed.
    - Hypertonic solutions (basically, anything that says "energy drink") are not so good - because the solution is more concentrated than your body, the body has to add water to "water it down" while breaking down the sugars - and that means pulling water from elsewhere in the body. So, drinking a liter bottle of sugared Cola will get liquid into you, but it won't rehydrate you as quickly as a litre bottle of Gatorade.

5- The concentration of the various sports drinks varies from country to country (done for profit, not performance, remember?). Look at the "xx kcal per 100ml" value as a guide. For instance, the Powerade in a supermarket in Italy will say 35ish, in the UK 25ish.
  12. Not for a moment am I going to refute what Gravelbelly says (mostly because he probably knows who I am), nor try to argue against any of the points raised above, as I'm no expert.

However, I reckon Maximuscle's Viper is the dog's genitals, and can be obtained in sachet and relatively small pot sizes. Makes you temporarily blind if you snort it too. Cashback!
  13. NAAFI Bar was probably the wrong forum for such a serious topic. Ask a MOD to move it to QM's.

The cattle electrolyte sugestion is probably not a bad idea - it would be relatively cheap but you have to package it. Certainly if proper electrolyte sachets are not available through the chain of supply then something is badly wrong. - (Wouldn't surprise me though)

When I was doing aid work in the Sahara I took sachets of REHYDRAT or the Boots / Lloyds equivalent. Of course I was only there for a couple of weeks and I was only occasionally doing hard manual work. I lost a hell of a lot of weight - probably 1.5 stone in two weeks because feeding wasn't very well organised.

I suspect that screech is not a proper electrolyte powder. Of course I don't know how high up you are in your unit or how much influence you have but I would suggest that if you have any influence at all that you make a Local Purchase Order of one sachet per man per day of electrolyte salts.

That should be standard issue and taking it should be mandatory not at the whim of the individual. An emergency "First Aid" sachet should be carried too. I have revived people with an elecrolyte sachet in a half pint of water and a couple of dextrose tablets on a number of occasions.

Command Drinking anyone? ;)

Go careful!
  14. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Gravelbelly's post is spot on

Telic 4 I tried to limit myself to 1 can of Irn Brew a day fizzy drink wise
    All the rest was water and lots of it even if I thought I felt allright I tried to get into the habit of drinking routinely

The part about Dioralyte is good advice
    Cyprus '94 ish running round in full NBC people started going down with heat exhaustion
    Medic started issuing the old dihorrea powders out and it worked a treat
    Keep some handy just in case
    Tastes awful but it will rehydrate you