Isometrics

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BiscuitsAB, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Anyone got any bumf on them? Just been looking on the web and its pretty expensive if you buy a book or pam.

If anyone has got any info at all I'd be grateful.

suitable donation to Hols4H if someone can provide me some literature or better yet some advice.

cheers

2. Why bother with Isometrics? Free Weights are far superior for building strength, power and hypertrophy(muscle size).

You want advice? Find a good gym instead of wasting your time on isometrics.

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Cheers mate but thats one of those tell you not a lo and link you to someone who wants your money sites.

4. No problem, try the 2nd one it is a book and at bottom of page goes to next part

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

!. Don't have any free weights.
    2. Don't have any room to keep any if I had them.
    3. Gym membership! no ta.

thanks for the input though.

6. Most councils have cheap gyms/leisure centres. If you really can't afford ANY gym, then press ups, pull/chin up, leg raises etc will still do a damn sight more for you than isometric "exercise".

7. The thing with isometrics is that they only work one angle per exercise 'setting' (ie ROM is nonexistent).
    So good(ish) for getting past a plateau if you have a stalling point, but not something I would include in a regular training regime.

Disclaimer
    I'm not a PTI but someone who has a little practical knowledge.

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Cheers, good idea i'll look on the council web site see what they have.

9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

no what whats ROM? I've no idea.

Not done any phys in over a decade, my phys in the army was running and I was bloody good if I say so myself. Had the accident followed by the surgery followed by six month in Headly court before it became popular with these jonny come latelys :twisted:

made a decision at the start of the year to do something about it. so far I've lost 7Kg gradually through change of diet and some exercises. The next step is to put together a regime where by I can loose some more weight and get fitter.

limitations are both feet are totally fcuked and my right knee needs a lot of re-hab. hence the idea of isometrics.

all input will be taken onboard even the piss takes.

10. Ah I see. The buggar is in the details.

ROM mate is range of motion, ie a deep squat has a greater ROM then a dip of the legs, or a full chest to floor press up has a greater ROM then a elbows to 90 degrees press up.

Without knowing what condition your feet and right knee are in, I'm hesitant to suggest anything more strenuous then swimming (not a bad thing to be getting on with though). A lot of Dr's etc don't suggest squats or deadlifts because people injure themselves with poor form, however you are already pretty injured from the sounds of it so I think both of those are out unless your medical practitioner or physio says otherwise.

You're looking for fitness and weight loss right? Not strength gain (I ask this due to the application of isometrics usually being linked to strength gain not fitness or weight loss).

I know one of those hand bike things would do the trick for you in the current circumstances, but they are moderately expensive and you've ruled out joining a gym so I'm a little stumped to be honest.

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

thanks Ian

sorry I failed to decalre an interest! or rather lack of. swimming I hate it.

the feet are a chronic situation hence the med discharge. the knee is acute, looks like tendinitis and has become agrviated by doing lunges. So working on that with physio.

The aim now was to loose more weight however is it possible to loose weight and work on strength and msucle at the same time?

Im not morbidly obese, with a BMI of 27.9 but I know I need to in the real world loose about a stone.

12. Strength and muscle can be put on easily enough, however losing weight needs the opposite conditions in terms of calories (ie one need surplus calories, the other needs deficit).
    You can theoretically do both at the same time (depending on a persons lifestyle and condition / injuries), however it is more time effective to do one and then another (I will not liken it to a body buildingesk approach as it is not that extreme).

edit- In the real world I'm about the same as you BMI wise, I think my last was 27.1 or some such nonsense.
    Apologies for the delay in responding as well, I got sidetracked by work.

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Right then weight loss first it is then

14. A lot of it will have to come through diet I'm afraid.

Is a gym completely out of the question? Because other then becoming a woman it will be difficult to shift the weight (unless you like eating a piece of lettice for the day).

Just to get an idea of how fucked the feet are, can you walk/stand up for a few hours without pain?