Isnt it time the Brassard went?

With the C95 cadets are unable to wear the brassard without sewing it on their arm. If not done properly it looks Shite. What is the alternative? A rank slide with the word cadet on the top?

Or a quick trip to a tailor for a a button to be sewn on to the top as the Nice gents with the snooker cues do with their RP sleeves

Cadets in my county wear a rather gaudy badge sewn on their right shoulder denoting they are ACF along with their rank slide being suitably marked. Their is no mention of their affiliated regiment on their uniform other than the beret & cap badge, and they don't wear stable belts. It ended up having to be this way because our cadets were constantly getting mistaken for young soldiers when on the very busy camp we use for training.

Bravo_Zulu said:
ARMY CADET shoulder titles would be better, with ACF or CCF rankslides
I agree, I've seen a lot of Cadets from other counties with essentially no obvious indication that they are Cadets (other than being short arrsed scruffy oikes).

My old CCF are a bit like that; no brassards because the school refuses to buy them or the badges for them; just CCF rankslides and stable belts for those who've done the CLC. They don't share facilities with regs or TA that often; when they do it's obvious who's who.

If badges or brassards are wanted they will have to be issued; schools aren't going to spend their budget on badges when they could be buying decent radios to improve cadet safety.

I would like to see the brassard go away too. The last lot I got for my det were paper thin and of piss poor quality. after a few washes they were seriously faded and tatty.

I would like to see Shoulder badges, ACF TRF (in stable belt colours) and perhaps a county formation flash.

Rank slides for Cadets should have either CADET on them or ARMY CADETS. Letters ACF/CCF only for adult staff.

But where do you put the qualifications and star badges? Some sort of Zap patch?

How about a cadet capbadge?

msr said:
How about a cadet capbadge?
I don't think the ARMY would approve. Its they, by and large that tell us what cap badges we wear. KAPE, visible footprint, future recruiting, sponsor regiments and all that..

Could happen though. Maybe an AGC badge?

Disagree on the Cadet capbadge - Cadet units pride themselves on their affiliations; affiliated units in turn foster realtions with a source of potential recruits. To have a common capbadge would be a bit like having a Corps of Infantry with its own capbadge.

Bravo_Zulu said:
Is there much demand amongst the clientele of the Cadet Kit Shop for Para smocks, Lowas and survival kits?
Much demand. Not much need.

(although decent boots are never cheap, and if you've got the money, you might as well go for Lowas IMO)

Long Rod Penetrator said:
Disagree on the Cadet capbadge - Cadet units pride themselves on their affiliations; affiliated units in turn foster realtions with a source of potential recruits. To have a common capbadge would be a bit like having a Corps of Infantry with its own capbadge.
How?

Several YOUTH organisatins manage through this hardship. Not least the Air and Navy Cadets, Boy Scouts and the Boys´Brigade.

Capbadges for the whole of the ACF and CCF or maybe school/county affiliations, with shoulder titles for the CS95 (the brassard does look a bit pump esp if the badges aren´t to be used), and underneath a title of the unit ie 1st Brecon Det or similar.

The BB use this method as they are arranged (believe it or not) along the Company and Bn method. (Dating to their 1883 formation along the lines of the Reserves (later TA).

If the badges are to be used then the brassard is useful, unles you want to follow the Girl Guides way and use a sash!!! :D

As I have said before the generic capbadge would allow multi capbadge support along the lines of the OTC (which was once part of the ACF, the CCF being the Junior div). Or greater support from capbadges based in UK, where a det may be affilitated to a BFG based capbadge.

I tend to be dubious of the motives of those who want to dress similar to the Adult organisations.

chocolate_frog said:
Long Rod Penetrator said:
How?

Several YOUTH organisatins manage through this hardship. Not least the Air and Navy Cadets, Boy Scouts and the Boys´Brigade.

Capbadges for the whole of the ACF and CCF or maybe school/county affiliations, with shoulder titles for the CS95 (the brassard does look a bit pump esp if the badges aren´t to be used), and underneath a title of the unit ie 1st Brecon Det or similar.

The BB use this method as they are arranged (believe it or not) along the Company and Bn method. (Dating to their 1883 formation along the lines of the Reserves (later TA).

If the badges are to be used then the brassard is useful, unles you want to follow the Girl Guides way and use a sash!!! :D

As I have said before the generic capbadge would allow multi capbadge support along the lines of the OTC (which was once part of the ACF, the CCF being the Junior div). Or greater support from capbadges based in UK, where a det may be affilitated to a BFG based capbadge.

I tend to be dubious of the motives of those who want to dress similar to the Adult organisations.
Me too with adults (Walting etc) But the kids fcuking love it. Isn't that the key?

chocolate_frog said:

I'm not surprised that the Air and Navy Cadets manage because the Royal Navy and RAF also have single capbadges

OTCs have individual "university" capbadges - not a common one; granted they are not regular/"Group A" TA units capbadges.

I don't know why you are dubious about a 15 year old cadet's desire to wear the capbadge of his County Regiment (or Counties Regiment I suppose because of all the amalgamations).

One should also note that the Combined Cadet Force represents all three services and as such most CCFs have an Army section/platoon (wearing an affiliated Regiment's capbadge), an RAF section (with RAF capbadge) and a RN section (with RN capbadges).

walt_of_the_walts said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
Is there much demand amongst the clientele of the Cadet Kit Shop for Para smocks, Lowas and survival kits?
Much demand. Not much need.

(although decent boots are never cheap, and if you've got the money, you might as well go for Lowas IMO)
Far enough. I'd probably have bought a pair of Lowas if they'd been available when I was a cadet :lol: