Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isle of Wight Tanker "Hijacked" 25/10/20

Rs: SBS - the RN does (or used to do) something called Operation Awkward.
Basically an exercise of a ship alongside being under siege. It's an excuse for a few matelots to get issued with a full mag of 5.56 blanks and pretend to be John Wayne as upperdeck sentry. The "enemy" though is often comprised of blokes with a fondness for LBD's and slingbacks
I can remember quite well being crouched on the bridge wing looking towards the fo'csle and seing some bloke pretending to look innocuous on the jetty. A couple of blokes in a rib also. Then a thunderfdlash went off somewhere behind me and diverted my attention. Next time I looked at the fo'csle-maybe 10 seconds later - there were 3 blokes armed on it, who had climbed up a wire ladder they had launched.
I've had the pleasure of taking part in a few of these exercises. I never witnessed any of the kickings being issued that dits about comparable army exercises seen to have.
Normally ended with them being captured and compliant at gunpoint and sharing cigs until endex.

Probably go a bit softer for the RN I'd imagine though.
I think I know the exercise you are talking about. Was it a large 45,000 ton warship commissioned in 1944 about to be decommissioned and the OPFOR infiltrated and captured the ship while posing as a concert party flown in for the Captain's birthday. The OPFOR threaten to launch missiles at Honolulu - or it could have been the Isle of Wight. Luckily amongst the crew there is a defrocked decorated SBS Marine who has been re-rated as a Navy Chef.

Luckily the Shakey has managed to covertly retain his little black party dress and heels and armed only with his ladles and cooking skills goes postal and manages to lay out all the OPFOR and saves the day.

This is the one isn't it?

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Rs: SBS - the RN does (or used to do) something called Operation Awkward.
Basically an exercise of a ship alongside being under siege. It's an excuse for a few matelots to get issued with a full mag of 5.56 blanks and pretend to be John Wayne as upperdeck sentry. The "enemy" though is often comprised of blokes with a fondness for LBD's and slingbacks
I can remember quite well being crouched on the bridge wing looking towards the fo'csle and seing some bloke pretending to look innocuous on the jetty. A couple of blokes in a rib also. Then a thunderfdlash went off somewhere behind me and diverted my attention. Next time I looked at the fo'csle-maybe 10 seconds later - there were 3 blokes armed on it, who had climbed up a wire ladder they had launched.
I've had the pleasure of taking part in a few of these exercises. I never witnessed any of the kickings being issued that dits about comparable army exercises seen to have.
Normally ended with them being captured and compliant at gunpoint and sharing cigs until endex.

Probably go a bit softer for the RN I'd imagine though.
I did the FP exercise in BOST with Bulwark. It was so sad. We ended up lending OPFOR blank ammo because we were having so much fun. The FOST car that drives towards the ship had to do billy big steps in reverse as the Beach recovery Vehicle (BEAST- leopard tank body with towing unit on top) hammered down 16W. Ship's Company cheering them on. The FOST WO Gunner was not best pleased. Oh and the divers who tried to climb up the ships side took so long we had a small team to great them. LPDs really do overwhelm the FOST staff in both AWKARD and DISTEX

I did the FP exercise in BOST with Bulwark. It was so sad. We ended up lending OPFOR blank ammo because we were having so much fun. The FOST car that drives towards the ship had to do billy big steps in reverse as the Beach recovery Vehicle (BEAST- leopard tank body with towing unit on top) hammered down 16W. Ship's Company cheering them on. The FOST WO Gunner was not best pleased. Oh and the divers who tried to climb up the ships side took so long we had a small team to great them. LPDs really do overwhelm the FOST staff in both AWKARD and DISTEX
Can you re-write that in English,Guns?

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero

We had WO Gunners when Bulwark was afloat? Fleet Chief per chance?

Can you re-write that in English,Guns?
He was docked in frigate alley (Devonport Dockyard) and the ship he was on carried out an 'Op Awkward'.
Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) team ran out of blank ammo- such was the excitment and willingness to play.

Having being a lesser PWO (principal war officer)...namely a PWO(C).. It is hard for me to fathom exactly what role Guns would have had taken in such an exercise apart from...that of a spectator - for that is essentially what a PWO(C) does :)

We had WO Gunners when Bulwark was afloat? Fleet Chief per chance?
Bulwark is still afloat. No fleet chiefs any more..various grades of warrant officer now I thinjk.
I'm out of date..if Im wrong Im sure I'll be corrected.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Bulwark is still afloat. No fleet chiefs any more..various grades of warrant officer now I thinjk.
I'm out of date..if Im wrong Im sure I'll be corrected.

Your out of date? ................................I was thinking about the Bulwark before that, R08.
Not my fault, I am a D138****

He was docked in frigate alley (Devonport Dockyard) and the ship he was on carried out an 'Op Awkward'.
Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) team ran out of blank ammo- such was the excitment and willingness to play.

Having being a lesser PWO (principal war officer)...namely a PWO(C).. It is hard for me to fathom exactly what role Guns would have had taken in such an exercise apart from...that of a spectator - for that is essentially what a PWO(C) does :)
Thanks, I thought I had logged into 'Rum Ration' by mistake!

Thanks, I thought I had logged into 'Rum Ration' by mistake!
Nah...if it was rum ration- someone who did 3 years in the navy in the seventies would have replied "Aye shippers-brought that ship out of build in nineteen seventy whenever...Slide us the port & starboard scran spanners ..cheers skin"

I think I know the exercise you are talking about. Was it a large 45,000 ton warship commissioned in 1944 about to be decommissioned and the OPFOR infiltrated and captured the ship while posing as a concert party flown in for the Captain's birthday. The OPFOR threaten to launch missiles at Honolulu - or it could have been the Isle of Wight. Luckily amongst the crew there is a defrocked decorated SBS Marine who has been re-rated as a Navy Chef.

Luckily the Shakey has managed to covertly retain his little black party dress and heels and armed only with his ladles and cooking skills goes postal and manages to lay out all the OPFOR and saves the day.

This is the one isn't it?

I’ve seen that documentary.

Of course, for security reasons, they covered out how he really took them out, armed with nothing but a single ladle and his trusty Norwegian:

“Right lads, you must be hungry after all that running about - I’ve made you a nice all-in stew”...

syrup

LE
I’ve seen that documentary.

Of course, for security reasons, they covered out how he really took them out, armed with nothing but a single ladle and his trusty Norwegian:

“Right lads, you must be hungry after all that running about - I’ve made you a nice all-in stew”...

It killed the one sausage argument stone dead after that.
Nobody dare ask

Chief Rieback can I have two sausages please?
What!! Fetch the birthday cake.....................

RTU'd

Old-Salt
1603786101048.png

Latest Threads