Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isle of Wight Tanker "Hijacked" 25/10/20

TamH70

MIA
Halfway through our major incident exercise in Cyprus, I'm in the med center on Comms.
Call comes on through the emergency line from one of the RMP to the effect of there being a fractured fuel line, fire, disaster, civi houses at risk... Fortunately the SMO was in the room and the call was on speaker. Three times I asked him to confirm if this was exercise or noduff. Noduff called each time, immediate endex called and noduff major incident declared.
All military med centres and akrotiri hospital placed on standby, RAF rescue helicopter, one tonne ambulances called in from the infantry, etc

Surprise surprise, it was an exercise call.

I was several offices away from the SMO (and at least 2 sets of closed doors) and I could hear quite clearly how upset he was while he debriefed the RMP OC.

On the plus side the response was by the book and went smoother than a well oiled smooth thing

I've only got one dit of that sort but it's not identical. I was over in BATUS, manning the Ops Room as staff, enduring another day of trying to keep the Battlegroup and OPFOR guys and gals killing themselves on the range roads by speeding like the complete braindead idiots they were, when a call came in over the net reference the MO's Rover that was tasked to go on an exercise casualty having managed to roll itself over.

(If anyone's been to BATUS they know how slippery the roads were on the training area, so rollovers and excursions into ditches were pretty common.)

It was quite exciting for a few minutes trying to sort the CASEVAC out after confirming that it was a genuine emergency. Especially since one of the main callsigns tasked with sorting stuff out happened to be the one that was involved in the proceedings...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
And Terry Pratchett invented Dark Morris, when has now become a real thing and you end up with people like this

Much as I'd like to give Sir pTerry all the credit going ( the Ninja Morris of Lancre, who dance the other dance with octiron bells in midwinter) - it ain't so .

Au Cointreau ! as Del Boy would say. Blackface Morris 'sides' pre-date Discworld.

Confess, pagan idolater - you've been reading that there ' Grauniad' again haven't you ?

The origin of morris dancers blacking up is irrelevant – it simply needs to stop | Sophie Morris

Cardinal Fang! Bring.....the COMFY chair !
1603734831512.png

Last edited:
On the other hand ,it provided God Frog and his blokes with a timely opportunity to remind the Treasury that slick drills have to be PRACTISED.

I saw them close up conducting a similar exercise, fast roping onto the bridge wing of a conveniently parked up RFA from a Chinook in 2003 at SMC Marchwood. My ex 539 Assault Sqn colleague had a wide grin on his face.

According to the DM, former Rear Admiral Dr Chris Perry pointed out that, "next time, it could be terrorists".

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Maninthestreet (for it was he) said: Eddy stuff.

Much as I enjoyed the incomparable Ms Izzard in his pomp - may I introduce you to a little known feature of YouTube called << Copy URL at current time >> :)

Last edited:
So Nigerians criminals eh? Be a couple of weeks until they get their SIA licence to sleep at work.
View attachment 515262View attachment 515264
Is that one of those fire wardens that are so popular now since Grenfell Tower? Keeping a 24 hour watch whilst the residents of tower blocks sleep safely? Or just getting some shut eye before his minicab shift starts? Oh, sorry, my mistake. Same thing.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I have not had time to read the whole thread,. but am I the only one to think that this was a rather expensive, if high profile, welcome to the UK party for a small group of would be immigrants?

Deploying the SBS probably cost as much as the amount of money an immigrant needs to get the full VIP treatment afforded to the dodgy rich.
Migrants, not immigrants.

There's also an important principle: let them get away with it and lots more will try it.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
lokiuk rumbled ; Steady on old chap, as I rustle my copy of the Torygraph, what's a Grauniad' don't think I've ever read one of those

Ahhhh....nor an Eye reader either then?

Mr Squeaker, may I unreservedly withdraw the unparliamentary remarks attributed to me by Hansard in relation to the Honourable and Gallant member for Clerkenwell South ?

He is, of course, not a clandestine pinko Guardian-reading member of the Islington chatterati at all, but another bluff straight shooter from the Shires after all. :)

Last edited:
On the other hand ,it provided God Frog and his blokes with a timely opportunity to remind the Treasury that slick drills have to be PRACTISED.

View attachment 515340
Anyone up for an argument?

I saw them close up conducting a similar exercise, fast roping onto the bridge wing of a conveniently parked up RFA from a Chinook in 2003 at SMC Marchwood. My ex 539 Assault Sqn colleague had a wide grin on his face.

Boris will be happy they seem to be keeping to the social distancing rules and they're wearing face masks

They really take H&S seriously

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
That particular happy snap was taken some while ago

As for the Putin approach a little while ago

MOSCOW, Russia — Following high level complaints about "imperfections" in international law, Russia announced Tuesday that captured Somali pirates "have all died." A Russian official claimed that 10 pirates seized by Russian special forces aboard an oil tanker last week were quickly freed but then died on their way back to the Somali coast.

The unidentified high-ranking Defence Ministry official did not elaborate on how the pirates died,
“Those pirates we handed over to you, why are they all dead?”
”Because they aaahhhhrr!”

ah, my lifeboat...

Latest Threads