Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isle of Wight Tanker "Hijacked" 25/10/20

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Although I'm sure the Fourth Estate is getting its superlatives lined up, this is not a ' supertanker '

At 228M and 74000 tonnes she's classed as an 'Aframax' LR1- Source

Size categories

In 1954, Shell Oil developed the "average freight rate assessment" (AFRA) system which classifies tankers of different sizes. To make it an independent instrument, Shell consulted the London Tanker Brokers’ Panel (LTBP). At first, they divided the groups as General Purpose for tankers under 25,000 tons deadweight (DWT); Medium Range for ships between 25,000 and 45,000 DWT and Long Range for the then-enormous ships that were larger than 45,000 DWT. The ships became larger during the 1970s, which prompted rescaling.[38]

The vessel itself, unladen, was worth around $58M when that piece was written (2005).

I'm also pretty sure that Arrse Theory A: ' Stowaways cut up rough when told to row ashore.'

beats Daily Boobs Theory B: ' African pirates seize giant floating bomb LITERALLY on our doorstep *'

* Insert multiple exclamation marks and garish line drawings to your hearts content here

Last edited:
This vessel?

yeah the MarineTraffic site HERE shows her in various states of loading.....

eg off Gib a few years ago:

View attachment 515196

Deep laden in that shot .

I guess a 74,000 DWT ship can still be carrying a viable cargo when riding high out of the water.

Transit time from Lagos was reportedly 19 days.

Additional answer:

As I replied previously:
I could be wrong but it seems strange that she would be ballasting away from a crude oil supplier.
That said, she was at anchorage at Lagos and not at the terminal.

She could be repositioning for some reason but a 19 day ballast at 20 mt of IFO per day plus MDO (or whatever she burns) is an expensive trip. The information I picked up suggested that she hadn't called in anywhere else after DLOSP Lagos.

In my day (cue: misty eyed peering into the past) information on many vessel's positions had to be gleaned by face to face contact with the owner's man. Nowadays it's all online, albeit for a price.

The Russians, Chinese and other types on the other side of the fence were less forthcoming and our work would involve travel. At times in our recent history it became necessary to track certain types of vessels for HMG. One of my jobs was keeping tabs on RoRo vessels: specifically certain Eastern Block built ships with a beam suitable for tank transporting.

Although I'm sure the Fourth Estate is getting its superlatives lined up, this is not a ' supertanker '

At 228M and 74000 tonnes she's classed as an 'Aframax' LR1- Source

Size categories

In 1954, Shell Oil developed the "average freight rate assessment" (AFRA) system which classifies tankers of different sizes. To make it an independent instrument, Shell consulted the London Tanker Brokers’ Panel (LTBP). At first, they divided the groups as General Purpose for tankers under 25,000 tons deadweight (DWT); Medium Range for ships between 25,000 and 45,000 DWT and Long Range for the then-enormous ships that were larger than 45,000 DWT. The ships became larger during the 1970s, which prompted rescaling.[38]

The vessel itself, unladen, was worth around $58M when that piece was written (2005).

I'm also pretty sure that Arrse Theory A: ' Stowaways cut up rough when told to row ashore.'

beats Daily Boobs Theory B: ' African pirates seize giant floating bomb LITERALLY on our doorstep *'

* Insert multiple exclamation marks and garish line drawings to your hearts content here
The max refers to waters the vessel is able to Navigate. For instance a Panamax is a vessel with a beam and draft suitable for Navigating the Panama Canal. As I've mentioned certain draught restrictions can be massaged: by driving the ship hard at sand bars and what have you.

At 228m she is too long for the Panama.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yep, seen and not arguing ....just curious.

The ship I spent 8 hours driving things on and off three days ago weighs in at a mere 60,000 tonnes....and when you're on the quay alongside she's ( brace yourself, technical term here) YOOOGE.

Yep, seen and not arguing ....just curious.

The ship I spent 8 hours driving things on and off three days ago weighs in at a mere 60,000 tonnes....and when you're on the quay alongside she's ( brace yourself, technical term here) YOOOGE.

My official job was chartering vessels between 55,000 and 72,000dwt Bulk carriers (Usually Greek and Italian owned) into far east Charterers such as Hanjin or Showa. The additional work came about because part of the shipping company I was employed by was a 'front' for inquisitive civil servants - one of whom was a director of the company (although to be fair I never saw any firm evidence of his affiliation)

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
I remember that moment in the 1980s when . . .
As for the Putin approach a little while ago

MOSCOW, Russia — Following high level complaints about "imperfections" in international law, Russia announced Tuesday that captured Somali pirates "have all died." A Russian official claimed that 10 pirates seized by Russian special forces aboard an oil tanker last week were quickly freed but then died on their way back to the Somali coast.

The unidentified high-ranking Defence Ministry official did not elaborate on how the pirates died,

As for the Putin approach a little while ago

MOSCOW, Russia — Following high level complaints about "imperfections" in international law, Russia announced Tuesday that captured Somali pirates "have all died." A Russian official claimed that 10 pirates seized by Russian special forces aboard an oil tanker last week were quickly freed but then died on their way back to the Somali coast.

The unidentified high-ranking Defence Ministry official did not elaborate on how the pirates died,
"Did not elaborate"

Attachments

• putin-wink.jpeg
    putin-wink.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 19

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
bigeye said:
scribbled some interesting cv stuff
Fun times.......but the open road called eh ? :)

I am also vaguely aware that cargo (particularly crude) has been known to be 'cross-decked' - transferred from a larger vessel to a smaller one- between the Port of Loading and the destination, in a vain attempt by scurvy rogues to evade various sanctions?

It will be interesting to hear what becomes of the Master in this instance.

Last edited:

The building I was working in got blown up by the IRA in 1992. I happened to speak to a cameraman from ITN covering the drama and thought 'bloody hell -that looks like fun'. This coincided with me getting the arrse.
I retrained and don't regret the move.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I could be wrong but it seems strange that she would be ballasting away from a crude oil supplier.
That said, she was at anchorage at Lagos and not at the terminal.

My contacts within my old job have all moved on - I could have got chapter and verse on her Charterer, voyage and rate once upon a time.
I thought must be a mistake as made no sense

If I was a member of the SBS Troop I would have my lawyer on speed dial, and just wait for 7 asylum claims this morning and a lawsuit against the SBS for heavy handedness.

Ritch

LE
All old men

Oi, I'm 31. Wind your neck in.

And I was on the ship last night. I took down two of the buggers with a judo chop to the neck whilst simultaneously keeping ARRSE updated.

Probably well too late for that, I would lay odds on bets that Mrs Blair is already hotfooting it to Portsmouth nick to get them out on bail and process their asylum claims.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
To be fair, the Arrse Armchair Anti-Terrorist Team were streets ahead of the BBC. For all my jokes regarding the 'News Desk' I did actually speak with them last night and at the time, their experts hadn't cottoned onto to the a/c movements. I was thanked for MY very useful input!
I followed one of th "flightradar" links on here, told Zero Alpha it was going down and went next door to listen to 70s music and destroy Montezuma's empire. Came back two hours later and found it had been over two hours.

I have to ask, if an armchair warrior can call it, was Them's security lacking?

Oyibo

LE

I am also vaguely aware that cargo (particularly crude) has been known to be 'cross-decked' - transferred from a larger vessel to a smaller one- between the Port of Loading and the destination, in a vain attempt by scurvy rogues to evade various sanctions?

It will be interesting to hear what becomes of the Master in this instance.

That type of cross-loading tends to be more with fuel-oil rather than crude.

For crude the illegal trade is more from smaller vessels to larger ones - e.g. barges to coastal tankers, coastal tankers to larger tankers which then travel to refineries that do not ask too many questions in other countries (or are partially owned by Nigerian politicians or "controversial businessmen"). The refined product (usually sh*t quality) is then shipped back to Nigeria and sold by the same people.

There's an excellent paper which describes in detail how it is done, even to the amount of bribes required at each level for police, customs, etc. I'll try and find it. In the meantime, the doc below gives a very good idea of how it works:

I must admit, I'm a bit baffled as to why the vessel was at Lagos anchorage (no oil terminals there).

ETA: The document in the link is the one I was thinking of with regards to bribes. The detail is at page 7 of the document (page 22 on PDF)

Last edited:

Latest Threads