Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isle of Wight Tanker "Hijacked" 25/10/20

Some on here seem to be armchair warriors & know it all.
Others post on the matter and are shot down by the ill informed & those that will knock any thread.
Typical of the army and more so on arrse which is like a branch of the home guard.
All old men who have served but it was not like this when they did.
We sit with baited breath awaiting all future posts from your good self then...

Are unofficial supercargo who paid cash in brown paper envelopes to the crew still 'stowaways' ?

That would only work on certain types of smaller vessels. large tankers load and discharge at long piers with little chance of a supercargo getting to shore. I doubt the pilot would give them a lift either.

..maybe bribe the bunker barge bloke?

5,000 this year seem to have got away with it by getting the Border Force taxi to Dover for onward travel to a nice hotel.
Pop them on to a C130 and a flight direct home BEFORE some grasping uman rights lawyer Starts bleating

Are unofficial supercargo who paid cash in brown paper envelopes to the crew still 'stowaways' ?

You say that as if it ARRSE were the AI database of all things shooty bangy, and not Uncle Arthur's Dad's Army memoirs.
To be fair, the Arrse Armchair Anti-Terrorist Team were streets ahead of the BBC. For all my jokes regarding the 'News Desk' I did actually speak with them last night and at the time, their experts hadn't cottoned onto to the a/c movements. I was thanked for MY very useful input!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Looks like they picked an empty one.

Yes, looking at the pic the ship is high out of the water, in ballast ? @NSP ?

Where did she offload whatever she brought from Lagos?

I'm betting just the other side of the channel - which is probably where the stowaways decided a free ride was the way ahead, rather than sitting in a dank compartment with a bucket all the way from West Africa.....

Le Havre probably given that it handles 40% of all French oil imports.

Last edited:
Yes, looking at the pic the ship is high out of the water, in ballast ?

I'm betting just the other side of the channel - which is probably where the stowaways decided a free ride was the way ahead, rather than sitting in a dank compartment with a bucket all the way from West Africa.....
She wasn't in Ballast. She was due to discharge at Fawley having left Lagos on the 6th.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
This vessel?

yeah the MarineTraffic site HERE shows her in various states of loading.....

eg off Gib a few years ago:

1603708175248.png

Deep laden in that shot .

I guess a 74,000 DWT ship can still be carrying a viable cargo when riding high out of the water.

Transit time from Lagos was reportedly 19 days.

Last edited:
Yes, looking at the pic the ship is high out of the water, in ballast ? @NSP ?

Le Havre probably given that it handles 40% of all French oil imports.
Previous pictures show her hull down, possibly a library picture though.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As for the Putin approach a little while ago

MOSCOW, Russia — Following high level complaints about "imperfections" in international law, Russia announced Tuesday that captured Somali pirates "have all died." A Russian official claimed that 10 pirates seized by Russian special forces aboard an oil tanker last week were quickly freed but then died on their way back to the Somali coast.

The unidentified high-ranking Defence Ministry official did not elaborate on how the pirates died,

Oyibo

LE
Previous pictures show her hull down, possibly a library picture though.

Pic in the times today shows her rather empty (or at least not full):

1603708357417.png

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
I remember that moment in the 1980s when . . .

Attachments

• rs_600x600-181101083041-600-Freddie-Mercury-J1R-110118.jpg
    rs_600x600-181101083041-600-Freddie-Mercury-J1R-110118.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 43
  • leakey-joshedit.jpg
    leakey-joshedit.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 43
I read yesterday, she was in ballast and assumed a mistake, think was BBC mind.

I could be wrong but it seems strange that she would be ballasting away from a crude oil supplier.
That said, she was at anchorage at Lagos and not at the terminal.

My contacts within my old job have all moved on - I could have got chapter and verse on her Charterer, voyage and rate once upon a time.

Latest Threads