ISIS Question

With the kerfuffles going on caused by ISIS type religion of peace fighters dotted about Africa the news of the recent events in Mozambique brings events closer to SA. What do the gathered multitude think; is it going to spill into SA, or will the local security forces be more than a match for the technical driving, decapitating, marauding hordes?

Now.

I suspect whitey is going to have to go in and sort it out. But it would have to be quick, and after the little peace loving scamps are well malleted have an exit strategy where the AU comes in an maintains the status quo to normal continental levels of corruption and thuggery.

I suspect it would require a PMC with input from Eeben Barlow, possibly (but unlikely to be) supported by SA and regional military.

If they do get into SA and start killing rural honkies, the local population might show them some support. If they lose their shit and start killing indiscriminately, that support will evaporate. The only reason I can see for SA govt intervention is vote harvesting or financial gain. If it stays outside SA and there's no profit in it for the cANCer, don't expect much.

Dyck Advisory Group

Dyck Advisory Group

No need to bring back EO Lional Dyck has been on the job since 1985. Ex RAR officer he was the CO of the Zimbabwe Parachute Group (ex black Selous Scouts) who jumped into Mozembique with a 70 year old Dudley Coventry in 1985 to sort out Renamo.

By all accounts the Frelimo government has got Portuguese military advisors. The large reserves of gas in their northern province where ISIS operate is being developed by Total, so it seems its a job for the French.

All those Rhodie and Saffer ex SF most be getting long in the tooth now. Lionel Dyck must be over 70.

'Total chaos': survivors tell of insurgent attack in Mozambique.

Edit all the problems seem to be in the Northern province on the border with Tanzania.

Wonder if Dyck is using EB's services? He has loads of intel on the continent and is always popping up doing surveys and recces for large organisations planning to operate there.

He has a website/blog somewhere on the net but I haven't sniffed around in there for a while.

Spot on re curmudgeons getting long in the tooth. EB no longer looks like a 14 year old school boy. Getting a bit grizzled, as are most.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I suspect it would require a PMC with input from Eeben Barlow, possibly (but unlikely to be) supported by SA and regional military.

If they do get into SA and start killing rural honkies, the local population might show them some support. If they lose their shit and start killing indiscriminately, that support will evaporate. The only reason I can see for SA govt intervention is vote harvesting or financial gain. If it stays outside SA and there's no profit in it for the cANCer, don't expect much.
What he said, although the LE are already pitching with a - so far - small deployment.

The SANDF are in the main an underfunded, HIV-ridden joke of a military force so forget about them.

The Septics are chuntering about pitching too, but with Creepy Joe/Hillary in charge we don't know when as they've got to finish diversity trg before any future action.
I shit you not :

WTF the Brits haven't hoofed Spearhead away already I don't know, politically it'd be a good idea at home.

The Porks have some military advisors to the FRELIMO govt, but I don't think they have the wherewithall to deploy a significant force, besides there's probably little political will to get involved with one of their former overseas provinces - unless and until someone wakes up and tells the people they have a duty to help.

Maybe @O Zangado can give us more gen - or pitch as an interpreter ?

Last edited:

O Zangado

War Hero
I don't think I can add much of usefulness to the discussion, not having been in Mozambique for some years now. My personal impressions at the time, which began one year after the cease fire in 1992, was that the indigenous population were so used to following instructions from the colonial Portuguese that they had become almost incapable of thinking for themselves any more or doing anything unless told to do so. As such the poor, passive sods were little but cannon fodder when the Frelimo/Renamo nastiness kicked off. In the aftermath, the killing and maiming by mines and other ordnance remained horrific. For the average villager, to work in the fields or plantations risked literally losing an arm and a leg at best, but there was no other way to earn any money. It was that or starve.

Unless there is some sneaky-beaky stuff still going on I do not have the impression that modern Portuguese Governments have any heart to re-engage in the area other than diplomatically , even less to kick off another 'Guerra do Ultramar'.

OZ

What he said, although the LE are already pitching with a - so far - small deployment.

The SANDF are in the main an underfunded, HIV-ridden joke of a military force so forget about them.

The Septics are chuntering about pitching too, but with Creepy Joe/Hillary in charge we don't know when as they've got to finish diversity trg before any future action.
I shit you not :

WTF the Brits haven't hoofed Spearhead away already I don't know, politically it'd be a good idea at home.

The Porks have some military advisors to the FRELIMO govt, but I don't think they have the wherewithall to deploy a significant force, besides there's probably little political will to get involved with one of their former overseas provinces - unless and until someone wakes up and tells the people they have a duty to help.

Maybe @O Zangado can give us more gen - or pitch as an interpreter ?
At first I actually thought that was a serious journalist, not some closet bigot in a suit.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer