ISIS launch spectacular armoured assault on Kobane. And by 'spectacular', I mean 'retarded'.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
I'm no expert but driving a single unsupported tank into a fortified urban area crawling with enemy infantry just strikes me as being a fairly bad idea, particularly if you're inside it. I can only assume that they were either pumped up on Allah and machismo or kindly demonstrating how not to do it to distantly observing trainee tank crews. Alternative logical explanations welcomed.

I'm afraid the video cuts out halfway through the money shot, but bits fall off and the crew are made briefly uncomfortable. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of child molesters.

I hear that they're now training crews for three MIG-21's they're in possession of. I assume the landings will be of the wheels up nose down variety, either deliberately or not.

At 39 seconds, Just after the tank round going down range, does the cameraman say '******* hell'?

I'm pretty sure that's an old video because I think I've seen it before. And yes the bloke does swear in English. There has been an awful lot of old video regurgitated as being from Kobane recently.

Yep, thought so. Here's the original in August last year.
h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1BTuHNji6s

FFS stop embedding the media file when I've linked it instead of embedding it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted 60082

Interesting 'product placement' in the video from Levis. I wonder what other articles one could market through this medium?

Oh, and the dismounted inf seem to look particularly, err, competent!

The muppets even reverse into action so that the weakest part of the hull is facing towards the enemy.

Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe it...

...but looking on the bright side it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people.

Rodney2q

The muppets even reverse into action so that the weakest part of the hull is facing towards the enemy.

Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe it...

...but looking on the bright side it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people.

Rodney2q
Bit of a dubious reply as it was an FSA tank.

beufighter

Old-Salt
Interesting 'product placement' in the video from Levis. I wonder what other articles one could market through this medium?

Oh, and the dismounted inf seem to look particularly, err, competent!

Great advert for RPG 7s :applaud::applaud:

PS after watching the video been on to Vodafone to see if that new 'samsung' thingy is on contract or pay-as-shot. said to go to a shop...strange.

Last edited:

Mattb

LE
Do we know it was (a) an RPG7 and (b) destroyed?

Seeing as apparently it's also not Kobane and possibly not ISIS...

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

Great advert for RPG 7s :applaud::applaud:

PS after watching the video been on to Vodafone to see if that new 'samsung' thingy is on contract or pay-as-shot. said to go to a shop...strange.

Step away from the meths

beufighter

Old-Salt
Do we know it was (a) an RPG7 and (b) destroyed?

Seeing as apparently it's also not Kobane and possibly not ISIS...

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

Read the f.... title of the video clip....Hang on never ever believe what's on/in the media. :boogie:

Bullshitted by Ex-colonial cos he can't be bothered to read post number 4. How will I live???

But they are our friends now! Are you not managing to keep up with the twists and turns of our government?
Oh, and thanks for the egg to suck, although not required.

But they are our friends now! Are you not managing to keep up with the twists and turns of our government?
Oh, and thanks for the egg to suck, although not required.

Our misguided govt. (whom I wouldn't trust to run a sweet shop) wanted to bomb Syria last year & aid these terrorists, despite the fact that Syria under Assad Jr. was probably one of the most tolerant regimes of most of the ME..
The people that started stirring up trouble were the Quatari's & a few other Gulf states who hate the Shia inclined Assad. If they had not interfered Syria would still be a relatively (for the ME) peaceful place.

Our misguided govt. (whom I wouldn't trust to run a sweet shop) wanted to bomb Syria last year & aid these terrorists, despite the fact that Syria under Assad Jr. was probably one of the most tolerant regimes of most of the ME..
The people that started stirring up trouble were the Quatari's & a few other Gulf states who hate the Shia inclined Assad. If they had not interfered Syria would still be a relatively (for the ME) peaceful place.
Keep those eggs coming!

alib

LE
No black flag and on closer inspection those guys do look like the poor old FSA. Don't think I've seen an IS fighter in a fetching possibly Republican Guard red beret. The braver guy in black with the white trainers up by the tank looks Takfiri-ish, they are often to the fore in joint FSA ops.

I imagine crewing a T-Series in an urban battle is a wee bit of a specialized skill. I've have heard of some training in armor being available but you have to remember some crews have just nicked a tank and are trying to figure out how to use it on the fly. They look a bit ragged but that tank at least had some supporting infantry. Unsupported SAA armor trundling about towns isn't uncommon and they have lost lots of armor that way. It's over forty years since 73 and Syrian armor sometimes giving the IDF serious gyp, they may have lost the knack.

I don't know what it is in the region, it's like they think tanks are camels. Other posters with real tractor driver experience on here have pointed out the ISF don't seem able to use their M1As, hatches forever open. Even the IDF charges about without being buttoned down, a couple of tank commanders got shot by Hamas snipers in Gaza recently and that's after HA doing the same to several of them in 06. It must be all the humous in the diet or prior experience mostly based on dealing with stone throwers.

I doubt IS are any better with these tactical details but they are brutally effective. Easy to maintain technicals are more their thing used in the Somalian manner. Force protection isn't an IS priority, they routinely lose hundreds of men in assaults. They have only recently looted a lot of heavy kit. Stuffing armor with explosive and using it for massive suicide attacks has become one of their signature tactics. For IS a tank crew may be regarded as just as expendable. They have not been shy of using tanks out in the open in Kobane despite lots of airstrikes and YPG RPGs. Tanks may just used mostly as disposable mobile artillery which is actually how the equally death loving Iranians employ their vulnerable old M60s.

Other posters with real tractor driver experience on here have pointed out the ISF don't seem able to use their M1As, hatches forever open. Even the IDF charges about without being buttoned down, a couple of tank commanders got shot by Hamas snipers in Gaza recently and that's after HA doing the same to several of them in 06. It must be all the humous in the diet or prior experience mostly based on dealing with stone throwers.
Sit in one buttoned up in that region mid summer and tell me how you get on.