ISIS beer anyone? .......(a slight marketing faux pas)

Our local brewery is having to pull one of it's beers from the shelves and reflect on the unfortunate choice of artwork it's been using for one of it's lighter ales.... West Berkshire Brewery have been selling Isis Pils for quite some time now and it's got quite a decent reputation amongst imbibers of all things lager-like.

However at the recent local Real Ale Fest someone queried use of the name 'Isis'...

"Ahh... well y'see the Isis is a tributary of the River Thames don't y'know..." says brewery rep.... "Nothing to do with current affairs nonsense... and we were selling Isis Pils WAY before that lot started appearing on TV news"

"Well why is ISIS all in capitals on the label?" queries the wag...
"It always has been capitals on the label..." responds brewery bloke confidently...

"...well why is the graphic on the label a picture of just a head?......no body, just a head? Doesn't that suggest a current affairs link to you?" continues the wag...
<cue double take from brewery rep as he checks the labels on the bottles>

WBBISISPilsner_zps51cfb779.jpg

I'm sure it was all done in jest but it's resulted in all stock being pulled and a quick rethink on the label design.

In the meantime my son's flat is crammed with crates of the stuff as his flatmate works at said brewery and it needs to go....so him and his rugby mates have been working tirelessly and are doing their best to get rid <'every cloud...' n all that... > No doubt the neighbours are being kept awake all night with the sound of empty bottles being chucked into the bin...

Perhaps they could set up a stall near the local mosque to get rid of it.... How does this rate against any similar marketing balls ups that come to mind?

NSP

LE
I have to admire the brewery rep's calm. If it had been me it wouldn't have taken too much of that before I barked something like, "F**k off, you gormless yoghurt-knitting lefty pinko git."

On topic, I vaguely recall, many many years ago, some computer company called Wang getting into trouble with it's UK campaign slogan, which was "Wang Cares."

I have to admire the brewery rep's calm. If it had been me it wouldn't have taken too much of that before I barked something like, "F**k off, you gormless yoghurt-knitting lefty pinko git."

On topic, I vaguely recall, many many years ago, some computer company called Wang getting into trouble with it's UK campaign slogan, which was "Wang Cares."

You're right I remember that one usually accompanied by a lot of juvenile sniggering. There was a related advert for a computer salvage company who could 'tell you what your Wangs worth'! And as for Wayne Kerr Motors...

Comments including the words 'head' and 'body' in your own time go on!

NSP

LE
You're right I remember that one usually accompanied by a lot of juvenile sniggering. There was a related advert for a computer salvage company who could 'tell you what your Wangs worth'! And as for Wayne Kerr Motors...

Oh, don't go there. Wayne Kerr made all the oscilloscopes and sundry other metering devices in the electrical technology lab at college. Imagine it: a classroom full of 16-yr old boys in the last throes of hormonally-upheaved adolescence surrounded by kit with "Wayne Kerr" branding all over it.

HT_07_T22_1100A_NC_SP14_EC_0.jpg
They're not alone.
Isis have only become notorious in the past year,
Similarly, Swallow Sidecars had to rebrand themselves in 1935 after their initials started to become unfashionable. It didn't seem to do them any harm.

Our local brewery is having to pull one of it's beers from the shelves and reflect on the unfortunate choice of artwork it's been using for one of it's lighter ales.... West Berkshire Brewery have been selling Isis Pils for quite some time now and it's got quite a decent reputation amongst imbibers of all things lager-like.

However at the recent local Real Ale Fest someone queried use of the name 'Isis'...

"Ahh... well y'see the Isis is a tributary of the River Thames don't y'know..." says brewery rep.... "Nothing to do with current affairs nonsense... and we were selling Isis Pils WAY before that lot started appearing on TV news"

"Well why is ISIS all in capitals on the label?" queries the wag...
"It always has been capitals on the label..." responds brewery bloke confidently...

"...well why is the graphic on the label a picture of just a head?......no body, just a head? Doesn't that suggest a current affairs link to you?" continues the wag...
<cue double take from brewery rep as he checks the labels on the bottles>

WBBISISPilsner_zps51cfb779.jpg

I'm sure it was all done in jest but it's resulted in all stock being pulled and a quick rethink on the label design.

In the meantime my son's flat is crammed with crates of the stuff as his flatmate works at said brewery and it needs to go....so him and his rugby mates have been working tirelessly and are doing their best to get rid <'every cloud...' n all that... > No doubt the neighbours are being kept awake all night with the sound of empty bottles being chucked into the bin...

Perhaps they could set up a stall near the local mosque to get rid of it.... How does this rate against any similar marketing balls ups that come to mind?
Crates of the stuff got to go??? Hols For Heroes Auction my friend! Especially with that kin label!

A pint of Isis and a bag of pork scratchings please landlord.
And a bottle of Bombardier for my mate please! He normally does Spitfire but you have to move with the times. ;-)

I thank you.....

I've heard that due to complaints the Ancient Egyptians are renaming their Goddess of Health, Marriage and Love.

Her new name is Ethal. And no connection to Isis ever existed.

I'll buy a few crates if they rename it Camel Feckers Surprise and make the logo a Paveway.

No one has picked up on the family dog's name in Downton Abbey then....

Its also the name of the oxford 2nd boat/crew.

Maybe instead of bombing the cnuts it would have been easier to get the millions of people with things called isis to sue them for copyright breach.

Well this explains a lot - I had a bit of a session on Isis Pilsner the other night.

Long story short I woke up the next morning with a tea towel wrapped round my head, my webbing on back to front and stuffed with my kid's play-dough and linked up with a pack of Tesco strawberry laces.

I thought it a bit odd.

Latest Threads