• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

ISAF NATO MEDAL

#1
Hi all, I'm no-longer serving, But i have a regi reunion day coming soon and was wondering about my ISAF NATO Medal, can it be worn? I'm not quite sure what "Non Article 5" ever ment!?

I know my other medals are fine, just unsure about that one?

Can someone let me know, cheers.
 
#3
If you have the OSM Afghanistan then youre not supposed to wear it, but youre out so its up to you, not as if youre going to get picked up on a 2's parade.
 
#4
Hansard said:
Mr. Laurence Robertson: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the criteria are for award of the (a) ISAF medal and (b) Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan; for what reasons the ISAF medal may not be worn; and if he will make a statement. [180909]

Derek Twigg: For Afghanistan, the Operational Service Medal (OSM)—Afghanistan was instituted to recognise service in Afghanistan and in support of operations in that country from 11 September 2001. The qualifying criteria were initially published in Command Paper 5939 in September 2003 and amended in Command Paper 6935 in October 2006. Copies were placed in the Library of the House.

Subsequently, NATO offered their ISAF medal to coalition troops taking part in NATO operations in Afghanistan from 1 June 2003. Qualification for the medal is completion of at least 30 days continuous or accumulated service.

One of the key principles laid down by the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals is that permission will not be given for UK citizens to accept a foreign award if they have received, or are expected to receive, a UK award for the same service.


30 Jan 2008 : Column 364W

As the NATO medal now covers the same service as the national OSM—Afghanistan and thereby contravenes the ‘double medalling’ rule. UK personnel who are given the medal may retain it, but may not wear it.
So you can have it, but not wear it.

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200708/cmhansrd/cm080130/text/80130w0003.htm

And, despite what various ill-informed but gobby chancers will tell you, Non-Article 5 has nothing to do with the Balkans specifically. Article 5 of the NATO Treaty refers to the defence of the territorial integrity of a member states. So non-article 5 ops are simply those which are conducted by NATO but where Article 5 has not been invoked.

http://www.nato.int/docu/handbook/2001/hb1201.htm

There you have it - any weird and wonderful stuff that anyone tells you that contradicts the above you can safely write off as bolloks!
 
#5
bloody hell!!! A human encyclopedia!!!!!

Cool, well at least i know. I know no-one was gonna give me a bollocking, but i didn't want to wear it if it wasn't "the done thing".

It looks pretty crappy anyway!

Cheers
 
#6
I consider those who wear the ISAF NATO gong as well as their OSM to be on the same level as those who buy 'commerative' medals and wear them to big themselves up. Losers.
 
#7
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind these "commemorative medals"?

Those who were in and there won't (shouldn't) wear them, those who weren't in or there can't wear them. Walts will wear all they can get their hands on.

Is there any real point to even producing them?

Looking at the Awards catalogue included with my RBLA news, I could "qualify" for quite a few but would never dream of getting/wearing them.
 
#8
Pronto_Mike_Uniform said:
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind these "commemorative medals"?

Those who were in and there won't (shouldn't) wear them, those who weren't in or there can't wear them. Walts will wear all they can get their hands on.

Is there any real point to even producing them?

Looking at the Awards catalogue included with my RBLA news, I could "qualify" for quite a few but would never dream of getting/wearing them.
Not a defence of them but they were intended to raise money for military charities.
 
#9
wedge35 said:
Hansard said:
Mr. Laurence Robertson: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the criteria are for award of the (a) ISAF medal and (b) Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan; for what reasons the ISAF medal may not be worn; and if he will make a statement. [180909]

Derek Twigg: For Afghanistan, the Operational Service Medal (OSM)—Afghanistan was instituted to recognise service in Afghanistan and in support of operations in that country from 11 September 2001. The qualifying criteria were initially published in Command Paper 5939 in September 2003 and amended in Command Paper 6935 in October 2006. Copies were placed in the Library of the House.

Subsequently, NATO offered their ISAF medal to coalition troops taking part in NATO operations in Afghanistan from 1 June 2003. Qualification for the medal is completion of at least 30 days continuous or accumulated service.One of the key principles laid down by the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals is that permission will not be given for UK citizens to accept a foreign award if they have received, or are expected to receive, a UK award for the same service.


30 Jan 2008 : Column 364W

As the NATO medal now covers the same service as the national OSM—Afghanistan and thereby contravenes the ‘double medalling’ rule. UK personnel who are given the medal may retain it, but may not wear it.
So you can have it, but not wear it.

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200708/cmhansrd/cm080130/text/80130w0003.htm

And, despite what various ill-informed but gobby chancers will tell you, Non-Article 5 has nothing to do with the Balkans specifically. Article 5 of the NATO Treaty refers to the defence of the territorial integrity of a member states. So non-article 5 ops are simply those which are conducted by NATO but where Article 5 has not been invoked.

http://www.nato.int/docu/handbook/2001/hb1201.htm

There you have it - any weird and wonderful stuff that anyone tells you that contradicts the above you can safely write off as bolloks!
my bold, is that just a NATO criteria or is that how we dish out medals. can some one nip in and out of a theatre and accumulate enough days to gain a medal 8O 8O

i have a non article five medal (whatever that means too :D ) but from Bosnia is it not meant to be worn either
 
#10
paninaro said:
i have a non article five medal (whatever that means too :D ) but from Bosnia is it not meant to be worn either
you can wear your NATO Balkan medal with 'Non Article Five' clasp if you arent already wearing any of the other NATO Balkan medals such as the Bosnia or Kosovo ones.

So youre unlucky if you have a NATO gong for Bosnia and received the 'Non Article Five' gong for Kosovo or if you got the NATO gong for Kosovo and the 'Non Article Five' gong for Bosnia.
 
#11
One use of the ISAF medal is that since they are unnamed they can be given out easily by local dignitaries at homecomings as recently happend in my hometown. Not all campaign medals will have come out so having a box of ISAF medals means the mayor can give the boys and girls something and the public can rightly see people being rewarded for service.
 
#12
paninaro said:
wedge35 said:
Hansard said:
my bold, is that just a NATO criteria or is that how we dish out medals. can some one nip in and out of a theatre and accumulate enough days to gain a medal 8O 8O
Yep, we had a young Lt come out to Afghanistan with us halfway through Herrick6, he only stopped out there for 30-ish days to qualify. Apparently there was a big parade when he got back and his unit didnt want him to look like a sprog! It happens fairly regularily.
 
#13
Two_Domes said:
paninaro said:
wedge35 said:
Hansard said:
my bold, is that just a NATO criteria or is that how we dish out medals. can some one nip in and out of a theatre and accumulate enough days to gain a medal 8O 8O
Yep, we had a young Lt come out to Afghanistan with us halfway through Herrick6, he only stopped out there for 30-ish days to qualify. Apparently there was a big parade when he got back and his unit didnt want him to look like a sprog! It happens fairly regularily.
happy with the 30 days straight through, seen that many a time, (band :roll: ) but surely not in theatre for 3 days go away come back for another 3 days next year etc until 30 days have been accumulated
 
#14
APPROVAL FOR THE ACCEPTANCE AND WEAR OF THE NATO MEDAL FOR THE NON-ARTICLE 5 ISAF OPERATION IN AFGHANISTAN
8 July 2005

Her Majesty The Queen has recently given Her approval for the unrestricted acceptance and wear of the following foreign medal:

The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) Medal for the Non-Article 5 ISAF Operation in Afghanistan for 30 days or more service with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) since 11 August 2003.

Those personnel who are eligible, and who have been awarded the NATO Medal for the Non-Article 5 ISAF Operation in Afghanistan, may now wear the medal.

The NZDF has provided personnel to serve with ISAF since 2002. The leadership of ISAF initially rotated, on an approximately six-monthly basis, between Britain, Turkey, Germany and the Netherlands. On 11 August 2003, NATO took over the strategic command and operational control of ISAF.

Only those NZDF personnel who served with ISAF while it was under NATO leadership are eligible for the NATO Medal (ISAF).

The medal is to be worn as a campaign medal in order of the date of the individual’s service for which it was awarded.

Not sure if this helps...not familiar with the award

My boss looked up a DIN for it on DII. It's there. Check it out. My boss seems to think it's legit.
 
#15
Before you say it, I know this is for the NZDF, but I believe the Queen's approval is commonwealth wide. Like I said, the has been a DIN published.
 
#17
mudblood said:
Before you say it, I know this is for the NZDF, but I believe the Queen's approval is commonwealth wide. Like I said, the has been a DIN published.
Have you got the DIN number?
 
#18
mudblood said:
APPROVAL FOR THE ACCEPTANCE AND WEAR OF THE NATO MEDAL FOR THE NON-ARTICLE 5 ISAF OPERATION IN AFGHANISTAN
8 July 2005

Her Majesty The Queen has recently given Her approval for the unrestricted acceptance and wear of the following foreign medal:

The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) Medal for the Non-Article 5 ISAF Operation in Afghanistan for 30 days or more service with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) since 11 August 2003.

Those personnel who are eligible, and who have been awarded the NATO Medal for the Non-Article 5 ISAF Operation in Afghanistan, may now wear the medal.

The NZDF has provided personnel to serve with ISAF since 2002. The leadership of ISAF initially rotated, on an approximately six-monthly basis, between Britain, Turkey, Germany and the Netherlands. On 11 August 2003, NATO took over the strategic command and operational control of ISAF.

Only those NZDF personnel who served with ISAF while it was under NATO leadership are eligible for the NATO Medal (ISAF).

The medal is to be worn as a campaign medal in order of the date of the individual’s service for which it was awarded.

There has been a DIN Published. Log onto DII and look it up in the Library.
I am posting this here as well, cos you seem to want to spread it about like muck... and I will apologise profusely if you can tell me the DIN...

That letter is dated 2005 for the NZDF. The latest all-encompassing DIN on the subject was DIN 2007DIN09-028: Wearing of Orders, Decorations and Medals by Service Personnel. No DIN in 2008 refers to the ISAF medal being approved for wear.

It states quite clearly:

Medals awarded by International Organisations
11. Permission to accept and wear the following awards has been given:
a. United Nations Medal for service with:

i. UNFICYP (Cyprus): 27 Mar 64 to date to be decided.
ii. UNTAG (Namibia): 01 Apr 89 to 31 Mar 90.
iii. UNIKOM (Iraq/Kuwait): 01 Apr 91 to 06 Oct 03.
iv. MINURSO (Western Sahara): 10 Apr 91 to date to be decided.
v. UNAMIC/UNTAC (Cambodia): 01 Oct 91 to 30 Sep 93.
vi. UNPROFOR (Yugoslavia): 01 Mar 92 to 31 Dec 95.
vii. UNOMIG (Georgia): 23 Aug 93 to date to be decided.
viii. UNAMIR (Rwanda): 01 Oct 93 to 31 Mar 96.
ix. UNAVEM 3 (Angola): 01 Feb 95 to 01 Jun 97.
x. UNOMSIL (Sierra Leone): 1 Jun 98 to 22 Oct 99.
xi. UNAMSIL (Sierra Leone): 22 Oct 99 to date to be decided.
xii. UNAMET/UNTAET (East Timor): 7 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
xiii. UNMIK (Kosovo): 10 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
xiv. MONUC (Congo): 30 Nov 99 to date to be decided.
xv. UNMEE (Ethiopia/Eritrea): 15 Sep 00 to date to be decided.

b. United Nations Special Service Medal with Clasp:
i. UNOCHA (Mine-clearance – Peshawar): 1989 – 1990.
ii. Sarajevo Airlift: 03 Jul 92 to 12 Jan 96.
iii. UNSCOM (Iraq): Apr 91 to 17 Dec 99.

c. NATO Medal with ribbon/clasp for:
i. Former Republic of Yugoslavia*: 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 02.
ii. Kosovo*: 13 Oct 98 to 31 Dec 02.
iii. Macedonia: 01 Jun 01 to 31 Dec 02.

d. NATO Non-Article 5 Medal:
i. Balkans (Non-Article 5): 01 Jan 03 to date to be decided.
(Note: Macedonia [FYROM] elements ceased on 31 Mar 03. The Bosnia Herzegovina elements ceased on 01 Dec 04).

e. European Community Monitoring Mission Medal (Yugoslavia): 25 May 91 to 30 Jun 92.

f. Western European Union Mission Medal* (Yugoslavia): 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 96.

g. The European Security and Defence Policy Service Medal for Operation ALTHEA (Bosnia and Herzegovina): 02 Dec 04 to date to be decided.

The above medals are worn in the same manner as United Kingdom medals, ie, in the order in which the individual qualified for them. All UN medals and those annotated with an asterisk above may have numerals indicating repeated tours.
 
#19
but you cant double gong can you? Same tour 2 medals doesnt happen.
Only happened in Bosnia due to the operation changing from UN to NATO with no UK medal issued.
 
#20
Filbert Fox said:
but you cant double gong can you? Same tour 2 medals doesnt happen.
Only happened in Bosnia due to the operation changing from UN to NATO with no UK medal issued.
Correct, you can't double gong. You had to have completed the requisite UN time to earn that one followed by the requisite NATO time to earn that one. They just happened to occur during the same tour, for some, and almost up to a decade apart for others.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Top