Is your AR unit fit for purpose

You're missing my point. Calling the AR 'casual labour' or 'PT employees' currently makes no difference to protection in employment rights; it only affects your contracted working structure.

By giving you a PT contract you would get greater protection, eg, guaranteed 40 days a year, but the quid-pro-quo would be compulsion to attend.

For reasons that favour the reservist, eg maximum flexibility (and to pick and chose the best bits) we haven't gone down this route. I accept that the MOD also benefits, we can switch resources on and off easily on and flexibility is a reserve retention positive mechanism.

So the compromise works for both parties - noting that compromise is equal measures of disappointment - until this is changed along with a wholesale culture change, over a generation, we will continue to muddle through with a sub-optimal organisation.
of course that you have compulsion to attend 40 days and no more

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/ta-pensions-finian-mason-what-happened.11089/
There you go. Of course, the MOD ultimately lost the pension argument courtesy of EU legislation, but not before they had tried to ignore it for a number of years.
Have you found a link to the mysterious study you referred to some pages back yet?
I’d already seen that. The changes implemented with the rebranding of the AR (pension, leave etc) fundamentally change this. My understanding of “casual labour” now means you don’t get regular hours - your contract is 19-36 days a year (or whatever it is now). Anything else is a bonus. You get full employment rights equal where appropriate to actual soldiers.
Regarding the study, I already said it was part of a 2020 work strand in c2011 that I was seconded to. No separate report was produced.
Tell me again how much it costs PA to run a 500 man reserve unit and what defence gets for that?

I’d already seen that. The changes implemented with the rebranding of the AR (pension, leave etc) fundamentally change this. My understanding of “casual labour” now means you don’t get regular hours - your contract is 19-36 days a year (or whatever it is now). Anything else is a bonus. You get full employment rights equal where appropriate to actual soldiers.
Regarding the study, I already said it was part of a 2020 work strand in c2011 that I was seconded to. No separate report was produced.
Tell me again how much it costs PA to run a 500 man reserve unit and what defence gets for that?
Please explain how rebranding changes Primary Legislation?
Please also show a copy of this new reservist contract and TACOS?

Please highlight the clauses from this link that supports your assertions: Defence Reform Act 2014

ugly

LE
Nope just as effective if during WW2 you couldn't deploy until aged 19 but could be bombed in your bed!
Qrk are you saying that no children were harmed in bombing raids?

So why on earth ask for a link?
So, just an unsupported assertion then. Come on, there must be something left on Meridio, or were you all forced eat your Moleskine notebooks?
Don't you think that's a rather overly-reductionist question to which a single, definitive answer is highly unlikely to exist? Certainly looks like one to me.

I do love the summer and seeing the various elements of the reserve and their waistlines engaging with the community.
Yeah, check out this fat b**tard. He's probably an officer too. Any organisation should be ashamed to have him floating around. Bet Lardy here wheels out that "enabler" whining to justify the fifty-inch waistline, constantly goes on about how fit he was as a yoof, then gets a paper pass on his phys test because he's mates with the PSI.

Something that our Regular brethren seemingly aren't aware of is that many members of the AR have jobs that are physically demanding - and physically demanding 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 47 weeks a year. And that's until they reach civvy retirement age of 65+, not 40.

They may not be racing snakes but their strength and stamina belies their portly appearance.

Something that our Regular brethren seemingly aren't aware of is that many members of the AR have jobs that are physically demanding - and physically demanding 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 47 weeks a year. And that's until they reach civvy retirement age of 65+, not 40.

They may not be racing snakes but their strength and stamina belies their portly appearance.
Shush with your logic, next you'll be saying that the warm fuzzy feeling of deploying to fill manning gaps doesn't make up for any drop in civvy pay or dayrate.

They may not be racing snakes but their strength and stamina bellies their portly appearance.
fixed

Something that our Regular brethren seemingly aren't aware of is that many members of the AR have jobs that are physically demanding - and physically demanding 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 47 weeks a year.
We had a guy in the Pipes & Drums who'd been regular Royal Irish, in their Drums Platoon; certainly no racing snake, but not fat. Just... average looking. He came out with the Recce Platoon on an exercise in Dumfries. At the time, we did the bulk of our training dismounted, and Recce Wing was pushing the "carry bergens and OP kits everywhere" line - so we were all carrying 50kg or so, across some swampy crappy ground in the dark. Turns out George was a bricklayer. Spent every working day carrying hods up and down scaffolding; by the end of an all-night move, he was still bouncing around like a spring lamb, the git. Made it look easy.

In the first platoon I was part of, we had "the Rhino" - whose full-time job was digging ditches for Scottish Gas, in the corners and edges where they couldn't get a light digger. Most of his work was in the summer months - so every winter, he turned into a statue of Bacchus; every summer, he turned into f***ing Hercules. And he was small by comparison with a bloke from No.1 Company in Penicuik, "Tyson" - who was a full-time scaffolder; could reputedly throw a scaffolding pole one-handed up to the second story. And then the next, and then the next...

I did pity the Royal Marines from Commachio Group who ran into one of our HSF types from Motherwell, during our war-role exercise; a former RM heavyweight boxer and unarmed combat instructor, he'd become a Prison Officer. Used to arm-wrestle the whole Wing, one after the other. Two lads got caught inside our Vital point, he'd got them both pinned against a wall. One (their Troopy) got gobby and tried it on, it all ended quickly and badly...

Latest Threads