Is vetting as strict for a regular soldier as an officer?

So you don't know either?
As a serviceman of 36 years and counting, I fully expect my officers to be held to a higher standard from the start, because on completion of Sandhurst they actually command soldiers, whereas for a soldier at the completion of basic training, they command the square root of f*ck all.

Someone who is expected to lead, rather than be led, needs to start with a higher moral compass than someone who is expected to be led not lead.

It really is as simple as that, ‘serve to lead’ and ‘service not self’ and all that guff :)

Moral standards can be taught, but you have more time to teach someone who is starting at a lower point on the moral compass, if they start as a soldier and have little/no responsibility after training, than an officer who will be expected to lead by example from day 1.

I suspect you know all this and are just on a fishing mission, either that or you are as thick as f*cking mince ^~

As a serviceman of 36 years and counting, I fully expect my officers to be held to a higher standard from the start, because on completion of Sandhurst they actually command soldiers, whereas for a soldier at the completion of basic training, they command the square root of f*ck all.

Someone who is expected to lead, rather than be led, needs to start with a higher moral compass than someone who is expected to be led not lead.

It really is as simple as that, ‘serve to lead’ and ‘service not self’ and all that guff :)

Moral standards can be taught, but you have more time to teach someone who is starting at a lower point on the moral compass, if they start as a soldier and have little/no responsibility after training, than an officer who will be expected to lead by example from day 1.

I suspect you know all this and are just on a fishing mission, either that or you are as thick as f*cking mince ^~
Fheck me, boss - you Amn't takin prisoners tonite, are you?
:)

Thread re-opened. Please keep on topic

Spent convictions should be declared and will be considered along with everything else you as an idividual offer.

Not taking the piss here, if you want to soldier you may wish to consider the French Foreign Legion. Its not all beatings and forced marches across the Sahara.

Have a look at the thread link below and if you are interested ask some pertinent questions as a couple of our regular members here are former Foreign Legion. They are just as active and interestingly employed as the British Army, probably pay better and have a decent pension too. Chew it over.

The FFL thread ===> https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...he-british-paras.161040/page-252#post-8825936
Pay is definitely better, think it's like 1.5k-1.6k a month if you translate but it's definitely not a nicer life. They try their best to force you to cut ties with your past life, not train you in anything (someone on the subreddit said the most he got close to learning in terms of a trade is the french equivalent to a HGV) and keep you away from civilized society. Not to mention literally everyone in France looks down on you and you can't drive a car, get an apartment or get a relationship until you've served five years.

I'd recommend OP only do this if he really wants to be a soldier and his life is truly fucked.

Pay is definitely better, think it's like 1.5k-1.6k a month if you translate but it's definitely not a nicer life. They try their best to force you to cut ties with your past life, not train you in anything (someone on the subreddit said the most he got close to learning in terms of a trade is the french equivalent to a HGV) and keep you away from civilized society. Not to mention literally everyone in France looks down on you and you can't drive a car, get an apartment or get a relationship until you've served five years.

I'd recommend OP only do this if he really wants to be a soldier and his life is truly fucked.
No I'm sticking with applying again to the British Army and hope for the best.

FFL sounds more like being in prison instead of being a soldier.

I am surprised though that you say they are looked down on in France. I thought they were well respected due to their toughness and skills and discipline?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Infantry 5
C Police, PMCs, Security 10
T Seniors 4