Is vetting as strict for a regular soldier as an officer?

My dream career was to join the Army as an Officer. I applied last year and got through most of the process but failed police vetting . I was really disappointed when I failed iy but am thinking of joining as a regular soldier. Not my ideal choice but realise I still want to join the Army and make a career of it.

I am going to go back and talk about my options but before I do was just wondering if I would be rejected again over vetting like I was this time or is it different standards for a regular recruit?

Spent convictions should be declared and will be considered along with everything else you as an idividual offer.

Not taking the piss here, if you want to soldier you may wish to consider the French Foreign Legion. Its not all beatings and forced marches across the Sahara.

Have a look at the thread link below and if you are interested ask some pertinent questions as a couple of our regular members here are former Foreign Legion. They are just as active and interestingly employed as the British Army, probably pay better and have a decent pension too. Chew it over.

The FFL thread ===> https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...he-british-paras.161040/page-252#post-8825936

Do you mean security vetting or criminal records check?

ugly

LE
A drunk and stupid officer? I'm sure thats just what the army needs more of!

Criminal Records Checks are part of the requirements for all levels of Security Vetting and also for BPSS
I know, but the OP seemed a bit unclear in his post.

I doubt any young civilian would be conversent with Government terminology but it was pretty clear to me that his criminal record meant he failed the application process.
Yes it was the criminal record I was talking about and what U failed over. Was really gutted about that as I had done well to get through everything else. Thats why I am wondering if it will be the same situation if I apply to join as an ordinary soldier instead?

There are plenty of soldiers with spent convictions from an earlier life. There's nothing to stop the OP applying to join as a soldier and see what happens.

Something like 8% of OCdts at Sandhurst are ex-rankers, typically after 6 or so years and typically already at Cpl rank, so that offers another option.

ugly

LE
Frankly the OP should be enquiring of his recruiter not some random pixels on the web!

AGAI Vol2 Chap 41 Policy for Recruitment and Enlistment / Commisioning of personnel with Criminal Convictions.

Para 41.029 The standards required for selection for commisioning are considerably higher than for those for enlistment as a soldier. Additional details for commisioning are contained at Annex B

Annex B is wordy, however, “in all cases if the conviction is spent it may not be considered (less for vetting purposes via Cerberus when completing online Security Vetting)”.

Random pixels on the web :)

There are plenty of soldiers with spent convictions from an earlier life. There's nothing to stop the OP applying to join as a soldier and see what happens.

Something like 8% of OCdts at Sandhurst are ex-rankers, typically after 6 or so years and typically already at Cpl rank, so that offers another option.
Thanks. Think thats what I will aim to do. Just have to "explain" to the folks about why I spent those years at uni to join as an ordinary soldier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Infantry 5
C Police, PMCs, Security 10
T Seniors 4