Is using the FTRS route an acceptable way into the regulars

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by jash, Jan 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. your thoughts would be appreciated
  2. msr

msr LE

I believe that FTRS has a time limitions, but it may be a good way to demonstrate your skills.

3. If you are getting a trained, tried and tested soldier who has the added bonus of maturity and life experience.........I can't see why anyone would object.

Have a look at the quality of some of the FTRS people and then look at what you are receiving from ITC or wherever and I think that you'll agree.
  4. Very good mate of mine went on FTRS in 1996 and has been there ever since, finally claims to have resigned but until he actually returns I don't believe it!
  5. Quite agree. Not entirely sure of the technicalities, but I think FTRS is a
    cracking idea, and good on those who take it up.

I don't think anyone will be on a downer for you because you're TA; as I've said elsewhere, it's what you do every day which counts, and unlike your unenlightened brethren you'll be mucking in week in week out, doing phys, ROO/ROS/RPs, and all the rest of that daily grind.

The point about life experience and maturity is also a good one - God knows the modern Army needs a bit of both injected at all levels...
  6. Watch the admin staff - had a couple of NCO's working for me on FTRS who were sold a bit of a line - i.e. told to go back to training if they wished to convert...clearly these 2 did not need to being very competant section commanders. Ensure you get OC's buy-in and they will hopefully support you..
    Good luck !