Is US an aggressive, militaristic, and imperialistic power?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Mar 17, 2010.

?
  1. Could not agree more

22.3%
  2. Rather agree

19.3%
  3. There are arguments pro and contra

22.3%
  4. No, but some elements of American police are indeed aggressive

7.8%
  5. No

18.1%
  6. Absurd. US is a peacefull, pacifist power, a defender of human rights

10.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our friend Ghost_us quoted in his thoughtfull post this phrase

Do you agree that it is true?

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No, go away you bore, call bugsy for coffee.

3. Is option 4 Police or Policy?
    Aggressive,yes,sometimes but often relies on diplomacy.
    Militaristic,what with all the hippys and CO's,you're having a laugh.
    Imperialistic?They put up with so much bollox from tin-pot Hitlers like CHAVez,again you're having a laugh :cuddle: Septics ok

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Oh come on, Sergey.

Same old shit and utterly nonsensical options.........

Blow a different trumpet.

5. As a American my answer is HELL YES we are!

Aggresive
    Yep you mess with us and well come halfway across the planet just to mess you up.

Militaristic
    Have you seen the size of are defense budget?

Imperialistic
    Yep were democratic imperialists to the core we intented to conquer the world for democracy.

You arnt implying any of the above is wrong are you?

6. Why stop there comrade? Surely these folks want to see the rest of what I said,no?

I would say that you have indeed posted in line with goal #2.

I simply suggested that you are perhaps one of said agents listed below. No need to subvert the messenger or the message. We are among friends and I'm sorry if this puts a spotlight on your activities.

7. God no!!! Heaven forbid.

However, if you want to be viewed with any credibility, might I suggest you improve your command of the written ENGLISH word?

A few commas and apostrophes might help.

It's amazing what you will read when you are bored on night shift.

8. Oooops! Oh my poor English. Of course I meant policy. But now it looks as a game of words.

On a separate note I would like to add that some elements of both Russian police and policy are aggressive.

9. Stop worrying about the US KGB and start taking a proper look to your South East. I think you might notice something to worry about.

10. Mate, we are among our friends who have brains and are able to elaborate own views, to analyse facts, to make conclusions.

The Soviet union collapsed almost 20 years ago but still World public opinion is not 100% positive toward the USA, far from it. But what is the main cause? Activity of the propaganda or the American policy?

Am I an 'agent' as you mean? In real life - no. But why not to play this role here? It would be funny to comment Current Events exactly in style of Soviet propaganda. And I'm well aware about its methods, wording and so on.

Just wait.

11. If only it was more aggressive, militaristic and imperialistic, it might do a better job of being global hegemon...

12. Is US an aggressive, militaristic, and imperialistic power? On balance of probabilities, not - although it does display some traits of all of these.

Has it behaved in an 'aggressive, militaristic, and imperialistic' fashion at time. Hell, yes. Very few countries haven't and then mainly because they didn't have the opportunity.

Does the US attract more flak than any other country? Nah. Nowhere near. Look at the pummelling in the public opinion stakes the likes of Milosevic's Serbia, Saddam's Iraq, Iran and North Korea got/get.

It does set itself higher than any other nation and is judged accordingly. If you go around telling everyone that you're the last best hope for humanity, you ought to expect a wee bit of critical analysis of your behaviour as a matter of routine.

13. Spot on. If anyone would care to look at Bush's 8 months prior to 9/11, it is possible to argue that he was returning America to a semi-isolationist position regarding Foreign Policy. After the Clinton humanitarian interventions of the '90s, all Bush cared for was to allow the world to run itself, and when major issues arose that concerned the US strategic interest, to intervene. However, once 9/11 did occur, the Executive hired a bucketful of neo-conservatives and everything went a bit Pete Tong.

14. Yes, and the worst aspect is that UK gets dragged in on the pretext of our Special Relationship ie same as an owner/poodle relationship